Oddity.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Oddity.....

Post by Ray »

Or perhaps mislabeled.....

I picked up a heavily sporterized remington 1903 that numbers to late 1942 or early 1943 but get this, it is marked 1903 a1 !

Shouldn't it be an a3 ?

Shiny two groove bore with a tiny bit of ruts and potholes at about the halfway point. Williams rear and Lyman front......

Huge bishop benchrest stock that is going to soon fall under the surgeon's scapel-rasp-sander to thin and lighten it.

My first thought was to buy a ramline and then eBay the bishop but I'm behind the times and did not know that ramline was kaput.....
m.A.g.a. !
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Oddity.....

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Remington began producing 1903s in September of 41 and they were identical to "regular" 03s as they used the tooling from Rock Island. As the tooling wore out Remington began to replace machined parts with stampings and also to somewhat simplify the design which eventually lead to the 03a3. Remington 03s could have a mix of parts as the equipment wore out and the milled parts inventory was used up. A 1903a1 had a "C" pistol grip stock.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Oddity.....

Post by 2ndovc »

A lot of '03s were reworked at the beginning of WWII as the US didn't have enough arms to go around. Most of them stayed in the States as civil defense weapons and quite a few were sent to England. I knew a guy years ago that had a British proofed '03 with a '42 barrel on it. I tried to buy it from several times but he wouldn't give it up as it had belonged to his grandfather. I get that, but I sure wanted that Springfield. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"