New Guy In AK

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gbflyer
Levergunner

New Guy In AK

Post by gbflyer »

Rural SE AK resident for the last 24 years. Enjoy lever guns of all varieties, working on bolt guns, revolvers, and reloading. Keeps the cabin fever at bay this time of year. Over the past 4-5 years I’ve been taken with the stainless Puma/Rossi R92’s. Picked up Nate’s DVD and a few parts. Very helpful. I have a serious desire for a Big Horn Model 89, hope to search out some information here that isn’t an advert. Seems like a great group here, hope to make a meaningful contribution from time to time.

Regards.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: New Guy In AK

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire gbflyer. . . . . :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Welcome! Ha, You need that Big Horn model up there!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome, looks like you came to the right place. Had a stainless 45 Rossi. Guy in Texas wanted it more, traded his Marlin .357 Cowboy for it. Guy in MO wanted that more, sold it to him. Bought a .357 Rossi Trapper with that, like that better than either.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome to the fire! My son is on Kodiak and has a stainless Rossi 92.
Was up there last summer. Going back this summer for a bit.
Lots of good folks and knowledge here. Jump right in!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yep...if you like partying this is the place to be......our very own board doctor AJMD has one of those Big Horns. He will be along in a bit, he works 12 hour days.

Rossi? ---6
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Howdy from Texas. I got one of the Puma leverguns in .480 Ruger. It does good up to the 410 grain bullets before I have to worry about OAL and feeding issues.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

Thanks all for the kind words.

I have a R92 in 16" .357 magnum...well my 13yo son claims it though...and most recently a Puma in .45 Colt Both slicked up, built my own receiver site, SS follower and lever plunger on the .45.
There's a couple others hiding in there too...my wife doesn't know the combo to the safe. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey, pull up a stump and chew the fat awhile! Glad to have ya!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Welcome. I was on the phone with a local gunsmith yesterday about threading my Puma 92 also in 38/357. This place has lots of knowledge between the members. SOME of it is even useful :lol:

Be careful around that Gunny guy and that Sixgun guy they will get you into trouble! I didn’t even like guns til I met them :lol: Now I am overrun.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome to the fire. Can't speak for the Rossies as I have a Browning 86 SRC cut down to 19 inches with receiver sight and an old (1916) Winchester 86 in 45-90 even though there is nothing here to use them on but whitetail and hogs.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

Couple pics of my .45 Colt trying to get the hang of posting photos:
CA70A5D5-785A-4CD1-A17D-82B066BA403F.jpeg
08D437A3-574B-4D75-AA4B-93C59B562525.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:58 pm Yep...if you like partying this is the place to be......our very own board doctor AJMD has one of those Big Horns. He will be along in a bit, he works 12 hour days.
LOL - I only work days that short on my 'days off' - normal workday 15-16 hours lately....but hey, I calculated that with my NP out ill, I'm making negative $900/day, so what the heck... :D

Back when I was actually making money like a real doctor, I did buy a Model 89, and it would be one of my "last five or six guns I'd ever part with" for sure. SO practical, so well-made, so beautiful, so strong (all this reminds me of my wife), and so FUN...

I wanted a big-bore levergun, so that meant choosing from:

a 405 Winchester
a 444 Marlin (already had)
a 45-70 Govt (already had)
a 454 Casull (already had)
or a 500 S&W.....

Obviously I didn't need another big-bore levergun, but that was before I saw those Cape Buffalo track back behind the pond where we live (....in Indiana.... :oops: :twisted: ) My wife (I guess she is 'fun' too) went along with my story and fear, and simply began planning what equal-value thing she would spend money on someday to get me back...

I thought that if the 500 S&W worked out, I'd sell the 45-70 Guide Gun, which is about the same size and heft, but I'm much less comfortable shooting 3,500+ ft-lb loads out of, and the 444 Marlin, which is longer and really cool, but would have no great advantage. Even the 454 Casull was a 20" Rossi, which is lighter weight, but no more compact (I'll post a picture if I can find it), could be sold - - - if I sold all three, I'd make back most of what the Big Horn 89 cost... :mrgreen:

But I'll admit, when it comes to selling firearms, I tend to procrastinate.... :oops:

....but someday I'll get around to selling the others off. (If my NP isn't back up and running shortly I'll be selling more than those :| ).

If you search the forum threads for "Big Horn Armory" or "BHA 89" and author "AJMD429" you'll probably get some of my posts on it.

Here's deer hunting a year ago with it - https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... =1&t=72688

Another photo - with a Marlin 1894 (in 45 Colt)

One of my "if things got really bad" thoughts was the advantage of a 50 caliber gun was that perhaps I could stash 5,000 or so 50 caliber sabots, and shoot whatever pea gravel or smaller caliber bullets or whatever I could scrounge, use black powder, since it is a straight-wall case, and as long as I found primers, I'd be good to go...

Recoil is simply a non-issue unless you are recoil-shy; similar to a Garand or 20 gauge slug gun - you know you're shooting a real gun, but it doesn't seem to be a flinch-inducer, and I'm no recoil-stud. Accuracy when scoped is excellent 1 to 2 MOA or even less according to those who've scoped theirs - I have just the aperture sights and can hit an 8" gong every time at 100 yards, and a 4" most of the time (...which usually breaks off its tether and goes flying...). I chose the black-on-stainless finish, so no glare, but underneath the stainless is even more rust-resistant than the nitride or whatever Glock-like (but prettier) finish it is. The wood is beautiful even on the 'standard' grade like I have, and is impregnated with some sort of acrylic that makes it pretty much as water-durable as any synthetic. If I'd have had it first, I'd never have bought the other three I mentioned above - and probably WOULD have bought a 405 just for the historic gun and action it comes in.

As an aside - the case capacity and bullet diameter is THE SAME as a 50 Beowulf, for what that is worth.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

Thanks Doc for the reply. I will search out those threads.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice job on the sight. Looks great. I love projects like that.
My Rossi is old so no bolt safety. Mine has an old 66 Lyman on it.
That's a sweet looking carbine....
Say, when I'm up in your neck of the woods this summer, I will show you my buffalo coat. :D
Now, never you mind what these boys say bout OldWin and his buffalo coat. It's all rumors. :D
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Welcome. Lived in Juneau for a few years.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

OldWin wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:04 pm Nice job on the sight. Looks great. I love projects like that.
Say, when I'm up in your neck of the woods this summer, I will show you my buffalo coat. :D
Now, never you mind what these boys say bout OldWin and his buffalo coat. It's all rumors. :D
Thanks! It was a fun project, that’s my second functioning prototype:D Built a couple out of 6061 for mock-ups.
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

Bullard4075 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:05 pm Welcome. Lived in Juneau for a few years.

Hey we were neighbors. In Gustavus.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gbflyer wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:45 pm
OldWin wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:04 pm Nice job on the sight. Looks great. I love projects like that.
Thanks! It was a fun project, that’s my second functioning prototype:D Built a couple out of 6061 for mock-ups.
It looks a lot like the AO sight that goes on Angle Eject 94's. That is a fantastic sight.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

welcome ... are you a commercial pilot? Dad flew for PNA on the Anchorage to SE run a few years, well, a few dozen years ago.....
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:25 am welcome ... are you a commercial pilot? Dad flew for PNA on the Anchorage to SE run a few years, well, a few dozen years ago.....
No. Well, I do have a commercial ticket but never used it. Fly mostly for fun.
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

OldWin wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:04 am
gbflyer wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:45 pm
It looks a lot like the AO sight that goes on Angle Eject 94's. That is a fantastic sight.
Good eye. The aperture is AO, now XS I guess to be proper. They make a very nice complete mount for the 92 but I’m not brave enough to drill and tap the receiver for it, which is required. The Stevesgunz sight has the right idea by using the safety hole in the bolt. I just made a different adapter out of 303 hex to accept the XS post instead of the 8-40 Skinner.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! I have that sight on a trapper 94AE in 44 I use snowshoeing. It's a pre-crossbolt but I hated the rebounding hammer so I converted it using a late 60s 94 lower tang assembly.
Love the sight, but not enough to drill and tap an older rifle. :D