Weather apps that are fast and concise?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Weather apps that are fast and concise?

Post by AJMD429 »

Is anybody use any cell phone weather apps that don't take a ton of time to load their fancy graphics and silly details? All I really want to know is what the next week has in store as far as high and low temperatures and risk of precipitation. It seems like everyone I try is either very detailed, which sometimes is nice, or more commonly it is concise, but literally takes a minute to load just the basics for what's going on in the next week. I can't imagine there's any reason it has to be that slow.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Weather apps that are fast and concise?

Post by stretch »

Man are we spoiled!!!! :lol:

Nothin' personal , doc...... :)

In just a few decades we've gone from not knowing if a hurricane even exists
unless somebody runs into it, to being able to look at a handheld screen in WAY less
than a minute to see if it's precipitating in ANY major city in the world - and on what
street!

Now 30 seconds just isn't good enough any more............ :roll: :lol:

"The Serpent's Coil" by Farley Mowatt is the account of a Liberty Ship that foundered
in a hurricane in the Atlantic, and the salvage operation that followed. They knew they
were headed for a big storm when the wind picked up and they saw the "hurricane bar."
No satellites, no weather radar. This was shortly after WWII. They HAD figured out that
an airplane would survive being flown into a hurricane, though.

Back on topic - I know not of the app which you seek. :(

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have good luck with the NOAA site....AccuWeather is maybe better but the cell phone app had ads out the wazoo...Ad Blocker?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

nws has phone viewable information, every bit of meta data you could ever want, plus tides and currents where appropriate...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... t=47.62604

these are distilled perfectly for phone viewing in the mobile version

there is a box to enter your zip and it's all your local weather
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Does it really matter? I mean the weatherman lies worse than any politician could ever imagine!
I have weatherbug, it has radar, 10 day and hourly and it's never 100% right.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is funny how when I was a kid, you went to bed with the knowledge that "it might snow some" and anywhere from 1/4 inch to 8 inches was going to happen....now, the Monday forecast is that "3 to 4 inches of snow starting around 3:45 pm Friday, south of U.S. 40, and only 2.5 to 3 inches north of U.S. 40, starting around 4:15 pm, tapering off by 9 pm" then five days later when it was actually 5 inches, we say the weather forecast is 'terrible'.... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I find it easy to hit channel six Philly weather...scroll up to the 7 day chart and read it...15 seconds total......I find the tv weather more accurate than government or other sites......tv has people and advertisers to answer to, government don't.

I usually only trust the next 2 or 3 days forecast.....temps can be reliable up to a week or so but precipitation is all over the place unless it's a major widespread storm.----6
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Go to the main NWS site and get the page for your town. Scroll down and find the link labeled Text Only Forecast and bookmark that. The report is just what you ask for, but to change towns, you must go through the full site.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"Does it really matter? I mean the weatherman lies worse than any politician could ever imagine! "

"It's not a lie if you believe it"
George Costanza

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I go with the NWS and Weatherunderground. Windy.com is useful at times as well. I also check this mosaic daily, but have not tried this on my phone:
https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have a Canadian weather stick by my front door, it never lies but only tells you what you already know :lol:
p-2040-weather-stick.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

stretch wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:01 pm Man are we spoiled!!!! :lol:

Nothin' personal , doc...... :)

In just a few decades we've gone from not knowing if a hurricane even exists
unless somebody runs into it, to being able to look at a handheld screen in WAY less
than a minute to see if it's precipitating in ANY major city in the world - and on what
street!

Now 30 seconds just isn't good enough any more............ :roll: :lol:
Speaking of this - one of my favorite books - https://www.amazon.com/Long-Labrador-Tr ... 145630237X is about finding a trail from New York to Hudson Bay, and it was just a decade before radios and airplanes would appear on the scene, both of which would have made things SO much easier. Imagine being in a blizzard knowing that 'somewhere within a few miles one way or another' there MIGHT be an old trapper-shack you could shelter in. How much will it snow in the next 24 hours, how far is the shack, where is it, or is it even still there...?

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I've got a weblink, not an app to the weather underground site

Very much dislike apps, most are too nosy

Running FF and an adblocker on my cell (android), works well with the WU site
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

What you are seeking is getting harder and harder to find.
Everybody LOVES their graphics

I now use Storm Radar android app. It used to be Intellicast and much simpler, like you are seeking.
Most of them show radar 1st and you have to click to get a 3-day, 10-day or hourly forecast. I prefer it to be the other way around.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I like the weather channel app. It doesn’t constantly bug me to upgrade or subscribe.