Does anybody make a hp mold for the 38-40?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Does anybody make a hp mold for the 38-40?

Post by fordwannabe »

Hello all! I have been looking around and I am aware that I can have anything I want made by a custom mold maker. I want to know if all you enlightened fellows know of a heavy ish hollowpoint for the 38-40? Thanks
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Does anybody make a hp mold for the 38-40?

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Look on Buffalo Arms site. They've page after page of molds. Think 10mm.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I would be inclined to get one of the wonderful designs from Tom at Accurate Molds then send it to Erik at Hollow Point Mold, he will do any style you want. Both are great to deal with.

Eric

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 180C-D.png

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

NOE has a 180 and a 200 when in stock. I have thought a 200 with a gas check would make a great rifle bullet.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I agree Ed. My wish list mold would be a DC 180 grain with the DEVESTATOR hollowpoint.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Arsenal molds makes a 205 rnfp you could send to Erik and have him hollow point it for you. They also have a 200gr swc keith type mould, if you are loading for pistols, and it might feed in a rifle. It does mine somewhat.

I have both and the 205gr shoots real well in my '92.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Just get a 200 grain mould for the 10 mm and then hollow point them on a Forster "hollowpointer" to use on your trimmer....ya figure, how many you going to use?......or you could just buy 10mm jacketed bullets but if your thrifty like me, you want to make your own..... so you go out and spend $2,000 to make a hundred dollars worth of bullets.

The 200 grain cast bullet shoots like a house on fire in every 38-40 I've ever used..
But I'm not one to like "heavy for caliber" bullets. Once again, Ya figure, how many grizzly bears are you going to shoot.---6...o...the dude wth the moulds. :D Yea....I'll get em posted...one day...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was told to get expanding cast bullets to just have a strip of paper between the 2 halves of the mold nose when you pour. The paper creates a void in the nose. I have poured many like this but haven't been able to confirm if they open up...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've taken mule deer easily with my 1889 Marlin in .38-40 using a cast 170 gr. flat point. Not sure what you're hunting that a regular cast bullet .38-40 wont bring down easily at around 1350-1500 fps.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Val, nothing special just playing around with different ideas. More of a what happens when..... than a true need. I have most of a 500 round box of 180 plated bullets from extreme as SOMEBODY picked up a box of 180’s at the shop for his 40 cal Glock and meant to get 165’s. Names are being withheld to protect the DUMB!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I’m not mistaken NOE makes their 200 grain 10mm mold available in RG2 or 4 which means it comes with HP pins and you can cast either FN 200 grain or HP at about185 grains . I know I’ve got the mold as a FN and I think I also have it RG4 as well . I know eventually I’ll plunk a deer with cast bullets from my Kimber 1911 6” 10mm .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !