Theodore Martin 1939. 1917 Winchester 1894 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Theodore Martin 1939. 1917 Winchester 1894 SRC

Post by edwardyoung »

I’m not much of an online person any more, but I thought this might be interesting to some around here. I picked up a 1917 SRC a few years ago. Like a lot of them, this one had been refinished and oversanded a few times in its life. The wrist is loose and cracked. I finally decided to replace the buttstock. When I pulled the buttplate off to start fitting it to the new stock, I found a previous owner’s name under there. Theodore Martin 1939. I’ve spent the last little bit thinking about what kind of man ol’ Theodore or Ted or Teddy might of been. Probably a fine fellow. Just thought I’d share. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Theodore Martin 1939. 1917 Winchester 1894 SRC

Post by ollogger »

Cool ! he was a good guy & liked his gun because he didn't chisel his name in on the receiver
nice SRC

Brad
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I ALWAYS remove the buttplate when I get an old levergun. Found names, drawings, and once a bill of sale from 1921.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Somewhere online there is a website with the names of the residents of all the cemeteries in the country. I dont have the google skills to find it, but have seen it in the past. Might be worth a little time at the computer.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's cool! I bought an 1886 LW about a dozen years ago that hand written note in the stock that had the owner's listed since it was new in the '30s. I can't find the picture of the note, but it was bought in WI back in '33 if I remember right. I've taken a couple of boar and a deer with it. Love that rifle.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
historicfirearms
Levergunner

Post by historicfirearms »

Thats a cool idea. I think I will start doing that with my "forever" guns. Maybe list name, state, and any notable game taken.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I had a friend that found a old hunting license under the buttplate of a old shotgun.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I should pull the buttplates off of all my old rifles. I’m thinking about writing his nam and date on the replacement buttstock. Thanks for the replies
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My best and worst story. A Audie Murphy gun. About 1972 I bought a colt new frontier like new out of a pawn shop in southern california. A year or two later I bought George Garton`s book on Post War Colt SAA`s. In it was a New Frontier that Audie had owned that was one of a consecutively numbered pair that he had willed his two sons. I checked my gun and it was the other gun! I got ahold of Garton and he confirmed mine was the other gun. He had bought the one in his book from one son. I lettered it and it was sent one of a consecutively matched pair to a gunshop in S Calif. Garton wanted to buy mine but I refused. I later married and later the gun disappeared the same time my ex wife did along with many more.
https://i.postimg.cc/0QTkyPQ8/Colt-New- ... ght-ne.jpg
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

That is a truly sad story