Think of it as an Opinel on steroids — almost

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Think of it as an Opinel on steroids — almost

Post by Naphtali »

I have a problem to solve. My EDC folding knife is a Cold Steel Medium Clip Point (3.5 inches) Twistmaster®. I bought it perhaps 20 years ago to verify or disprove my obsession with corrosion prevention.

I continue to carry it because:
- It's the only locking folding knife that my hands (fingers) can manipulate on bad days.

- Its lock eliminates axial and transverse wear as blade locks.

- It has four parts, only two of which move.

- The blade is the most useful shape I have used. This judgment remains accurate until I need a blade longer than 4.75 inches.
I want to replace the blade with a significantly more wear resistant identical shape. Disassembly of the knife is not a serious issue. Remove its lock ring and push out the hinge pin. In case of unforeseen problems, I have several of these knives N.I.B. My problem is to find someone who will complete the job.

Help me out.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Think of it as an Opinel on steroids — almost

Post by Blaine »

To be clear....you've worn out the current blade? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:18 pm To be clear....you've worn out the current blade? :?
No.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

THAT certainly clarifies that
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Naphtali wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:11 pm I have a problem to solve. My EDC folding knife is a Cold Steel Medium Clip Point (3.5 inches) Twistmaster®. I bought it perhaps 20 years ago to verify or disprove my obsession with corrosion prevention.

I continue to carry it because:
- It's the only locking folding knife that my hands (fingers) can manipulate on bad days.

- Its lock eliminates axial and transverse wear as blade locks.

- It has four parts, only two of which move.

- The blade is the most useful shape I have used. This judgment remains accurate until I need a blade longer than 4.75 inches.
I want to replace the blade with a significantly more wear resistant identical shape. Disassembly of the knife is not a serious issue. Remove its lock ring and push out the hinge pin. In case of unforeseen problems, I have several of these knives N.I.B. My problem is to find someone who will complete the job.

Help me out.
like this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3440011847
OR
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3783652529
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Tycer:

Basis knife is accurate. Neither blade shape is. You probably have noticed that knife's design is similar to the French Opinel, albeit a much sturdier rendition. Unfortunately, the blade needs frequent maintenance — that is, existing blade is inconvenient for frequent use while being satisfactory for seldom usage. Same blade shape and dimensions of less delicate material is what I want. The complication is arranging for replacement blade.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Naphtali wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:46 pm Tycer:

Basis knife is accurate. Neither blade shape is. You probably have noticed that knife's design is similar to the French Opinel, albeit a much sturdier rendition. Unfortunately, the blade needs frequent maintenance — that is, existing blade is inconvenient for frequent use while being satisfactory for seldom usage. Same blade shape and dimensions of less delicate material is what I want. The complication is arranging for replacement blade.
Ah, I understand. Cold Steel used Carbon V in those I think. Pretty easy steel to get a super sharp edge. Have you tried something like a 25 degree edge on it? I work my EDC hard and even a premium steel like S30v I keep a 25 on it. Most other gentleman’s knives I have are set at 18 degrees.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A real Opinel knife on Steroids...
post-167-0-31070000-1350912374_thumb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Tycer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:48 pm
Naphtali wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:46 pm Tycer:

Ah, I understand. Cold Steel used Carbon V in those I think. Pretty easy steel to get a super sharp edge. Have you tried something like a 25 degree edge on it? I work my EDC hard and even a premium steel like S30v I keep a 25 on it. Most other gentleman’s knives I have are set at 18 degrees.
You are partially correct in my experience. With the exceptions of a Model 1917 bayonet reproduction (eye candy that completes my World War I trench gun), a Half Face Blades Crow Scout (S35VN), and Ichiro-signed KD30-104 (Cowry X Damascus), my "using" knives — that is, the Twistmaster — have always had 19-degree edges both sides. This particular blade gets sharp. Using it for pretty much everything (now) except field dressing and butchering shows it to dull fairly quickly. A substantial portion of accelerated wear probably occurs because of acidic and/or saline solutions. I am unwilling to invest/waste?? too much time to thoroughly rid the knife of moisture with these corrosion enhancers. Not only am I too old to use my remaining life doing it, but why should I with such a selection of blade steels significantly more resistant of such corrosion enhancers?

An obvious solution that unfortunately doesn't work for me is to get a lock back or liner lock or frame lock and be done with the problem. My fingers don't do what they should. Using these devices — I've tried many out, as a way out — is a "sometimes I can manipulate them" thing. Days when I can manipulate them are progressively fewer.

All of which brings me back to requesting contact information of people who might be able and willing to try the work. Worst case would be the unintentional destruction of a couple of N.I.B. medium clip point Twistmasters. I'm will to risk the loss to gain precisely the knife I prefer.