SHOTShow and F.A. (pics added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

SHOTShow and F.A. (pics added)

Post by jkbrea »

I just got back from SHOTShow in Las Vegas. It was amazing and overwhelming. I walked several miles and still didn't see all the exhibits. 60,000 attendees and 3 levels of exhibits! Met several good contacts for what I needed.
It's not a gun show where you can make purchases but....I found the Freedom Arms booth. Every year or so I lose sleep over wanting one. I handle the ones in the local shop and went to the factory which is 45 min away. My wife got tired of me talking about them and said to buy it already. So I did!
There is usually a long wait to get one made but they have the one I want in their shop and only need to make a couple alterations. It's a model 97 3.5" packer. .45LC with an extra .45 ACP cylinder. I pick it up this afternoon!
Last edited by jkbrea on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SHOTShow and F.A.

Post by 2ndovc »

That's cool!!

I keep having the same debate in my head, I would love to have one, but I have so many great single actions.

Hope to see some pictures soon. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Ruger with the same 2 calibers. I hope you enjoy your FA as much as I enjoy my Ruger. I find the .45 ACP cylinder to be more accurate in mine. No big deal. The .45 Colt cylinder is still plenty accurate. It is fun at the range when someone who doesn't know about the .45 ACP cylinder watches me load it and fire it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Love my FA .454 unfortunately I often find myself packing a simple Ruger Vaquero as its lighter and can handle loads plenty strong enough for a bear encounter in the backcountry. Maybe someday I'll get up to alaska...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I was awarded this Model 97 15 years ago. 45 Colt with 45 ACP cylinder. I shoot the ACP 99% of the time.
I had my friend Gary Reeder turn the rear of both cylinders off so I could see the cartridge rims. The FA's are the best built single actions in the world, but I didn't want the cartridge rims recessed. (A personal obsession)

This little 5 shooter is just a handy thing to keep in a back pocket or jacket pocket.

I use a 1911 Magazine for spare ammo and speedloader.
4.jpg
5.jpg
IMG_0039.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

piller wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:15 pm I have a Ruger with the same 2 calibers. I hope you enjoy your FA as much as I enjoy my Ruger. I find the .45 ACP cylinder to be more accurate in mine. No big deal. The .45 Colt cylinder is still plenty accurate. It is fun at the range when someone who doesn't know about the .45 ACP cylinder watches me load it and fire it.
I get that look too. I love watching guys staring while I stuff .45ACPs into my revolver. They just don't understand. :lol:
jb 8)

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

JimT wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:04 pm I was awarded this Model 97 15 years ago. 45 Colt with 45 ACP cylinder. I shoot the ACP 99% of the time.
I had my friend Gary Reeder turn the rear of both cylinders off so I could see the cartridge rims. The FA's are the best built single actions in the world, but I didn't want the cartridge rims recessed. (A personal obsession)

This little 5 shooter is just a handy thing to keep in a back pocket or jacket pocket.

4.jpg

5.jpg

IMG_0039.JPG
Mine looks exactly like yours without the engraving. Going to shoot it for the 1st time today! I'll try and post some pics.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I could be wrong, but I have heard that the .45 ACP was supposed to duplicate the weight and velocity of the .45 Colt. In my revolver, the ACP is comfortable and easy to shoot, as are the loads for the .45 Colt that are safe for the old first generation Colts. Due to the .45 ACP being relatively low cost versus the .45 Colt factory loads, the ACP cylinder gets lots more use. I can also find the .451 diameter bullets much easier. A moderate load in the .45 ACP cylinder is accurate and lots of fun for me. I don't see the need to go to heavy loads in it. If the wildlife in the area seems to be dangerous, I have more powerful handguns that can be carried just as easily. I also have some Ruger level loads for the .45 Colt cylinder that push a 325 grain wide flat nose LBT style bullet at around 900 fps. Not blazing fast, but it goes through nearly anything. Sort of what the .45-70 does.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:27 pm I could be wrong, but I have heard that the .45 ACP was supposed to duplicate the weight and velocity of the .45 Colt. In my revolver, the ACP is comfortable and easy to shoot, as are the loads for the .45 Colt that are safe for the old first generation Colts. Due to the .45 ACP being relatively low cost versus the .45 Colt factory loads, the ACP cylinder gets lots more use. I can also find the .451 diameter bullets much easier. A moderate load in the .45 ACP cylinder is accurate and lots of fun for me. I don't see the need to go to heavy loads in it. If the wildlife in the area seems to be dangerous, I have more powerful handguns that can be carried just as easily. I also have some Ruger level loads for the .45 Colt cylinder that push a 325 grain wide flat nose LBT style bullet at around 900 fps. Not blazing fast, but it goes through nearly anything. Sort of what the .45-70 does.
Those big .45 bullets do not have to have screaming velocity to penetrate. Years ago I was with John Taffin and Bob Baker and some other guys on the Gray's River. We were shooting at an old cabin at about 800 yards. My loads were 45 Colt in Ruger Blackhawk ... 300 gr. #457191 at about 1100 fps. Going over and inspecting the cabin, all the bullets penetrated the front logs ... some went out the back logs. One of my bullets hit the angle iron on an old bed frames and bent it pretty good. The bullet bounced back against the inside of the front wall where we found it. It fit the bent angle iron perfectly. Couldn't have been going all that fast after traveling that far, but still packed a lot of wallop!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:56 pm Those big .45 bullets do not have to have screaming velocity to penetrate. Years ago I was with John Taffin and Bob Baker and some other guys on the Gray's River. We were shooting at an old cabin at about 800 yards.

Years ago I was wandering around in the woods and I needed a rest.......found an old cabin, laid down and the next thing ya know bullets came flying in. Got shot in the leg, arm, wrist and finally in the head. I got kilt. On my upstairs journey I said to myself, "Man! Those guys can shoot!"

Never owned a Freedom Arms but have handled and shot one, a cute little five shot 44 Spl....that cylinder locked up better than any Colt or Ruger I have ever used.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:58 pm "On my upstairs journey ....."
I was almost believing the story until that part.

:D

:)

:P
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: SHOTShow and F.A. (pics added)

Post by jkbrea »

Now to find a holster. I really like this gun. It's my new elk packing and hiking gun. Heck...I'll use it for EDC. no bulkier than my S&W Mod 66.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Beautiful!

I used mine for several years as my carry gun. Used the ACP cylinder and 1911 magazine or two in my pocket to tote the extra ammo. You can get where you load the thing fairly quickly shucking the shells from the magazine into the chambers.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a trophy! Great looking revolver!!

jb 8)

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Jkbrea, how did you like the toilet paper holder in the men's room at Freedom showroom? I have the same pistol sans the acp wheel. Bought my high ride strong side holster right there in their store. I bought mine about the same timeframe as when you bought the Colt SAA from me. Mine is black micarta and a five and a half inch barrel. Killed a couple whitetails with it.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Jkbrea,

Think you are really going to enjoy that one. I have the same gun which is currently dedicated to 45 ACPs. However, I've shot it with everything from 200gr SWCs to the Lee 320gr FNGC DC using the 45 Colt cyl. A lot of versatility, not to mention a lot of fun in a small package.

Paul
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Size comparison with S&W M386 (3" L Frame)

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Les Staley wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:24 am Jkbrea, how did you like the toilet paper holder in the men's room at Freedom showroom? I have the same pistol sans the acp wheel. Bought my high ride strong side holster right there in their store. I bought mine about the same timeframe as when you bought the Colt SAA from me. Mine is black micarta and a five and a half inch barrel. Killed a couple whitetails with it.
No, I didn't see the TP holder. I heard they were FA revolvers! I bought the crossdraw holster from them. Love it.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Paul105 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:22 pm Jkbrea,

Think you are really going to enjoy that one. I have the same gun which is currently dedicated to 45 ACPs. However, I've shot it with everything from 200gr SWCs to the Lee 320gr FNGC DC using the 45 Colt cyl. A lot of versatility, not to mention a lot of fun in a small package.

Paul
They are great. I had a hard time deciding on the grips. Either would have been fine. I've already gone on two hikes this week just so I could pack it! No bears out but moose are everywhere and can get aggressive with dogs. Seen big cat tracks too.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

JimT wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:04 pm I was awarded this Model 97 15 years ago. 45 Colt with 45 ACP cylinder. I shoot the ACP 99% of the time.

4.jpg

5.jpg

IMG_0039.JPG
Great revolvers guys. I have kept a SA revolver with a 45 ACP cylinder most of my life but someone keeps wanting it worse than I do. I have about a dozen Colt SAAs but no 45 ACP cylinder currently. But I do have a S&W 1917 cut to 3 1/2 inches. JimT, did you have your cylinder shaved off enough to let you use 45 Auto Rim? I always do that but hardly ever use them as a SAA just doesn't need them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:13 pm JimT, did you have your cylinder shaved off enough to let you use 45 Auto Rim? I always do that but hardly ever use them as a SAA just doesn't need them.
No I didn't. I am not really interested in using them, tho they would be fun to play with. I had enough removed that I can see the rim and even pull the cartridge with my fingernails.