A Question About The Winchester 94 Carbines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

A Question About The Winchester 94 Carbines

Post by BruceB »

I posed the following question on Facebook:

For years the front barrel bands on 94 carbines were between the front sight and the muzzle. When the ramp front sight came into use, the bands were moved behind the sight. Other than to make disassembly more difficult, was there a practical reason for the change?

The two replies I got were about having a longer sight radius and that non-saddle ring carbines had the band behind the sight ramp. Does anybody have better explanations than these two?
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: A Question About The Winchester 94 Carbines

Post by J Miller »

Here is my somewhat slightly educated take on this; about the time the front sights were changed several other changes were made too. Different rear sights, different butt plates, different markings and model number, ( from 1894 to 94).
About this time the Winchester family sold the company to Olin (I think) so they probably just wanted to update the product.

But I might have this all wrong so don't take this for truth till somebody verifies it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The earlier bands were also milled. The later style bands on the ramp sighted carbines were made round and bent into an hourglass shape. The magazines on the earlier carbines are more securely held IMO.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The post WW II (1947 vintage) flat band carbine I had had milled bands. My 1950 carbine has the stamped bands. I agree the magazines on the carbines with the milled bands are secured better.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***