.44 wadcutter.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

.44 wadcutter.....

Post by Ray »

Been playing with an abbreviated break-open fowler with 11" 12 ga. x .44 magnum insert, mostly with specials and tried some 165 gr. wadcutters over 5 gr. red dot that i carry in my bulldog. Despite the windchill (i hear you northerners chuckling) they shot well enough to keep 14 shots on a medium-sized common mailing box at 40 yards.....and they make clean round holes at that distance.

much is written about the ubiquitous .38 wadcutter but what is the board's consensus on other calibers ?
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .44 wadcutter.....

Post by Ray »

excellent article.....

https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/44-wadcutters/

compared to mister taffin's data, my red dot .44 special load may be too hot....
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

and this informative e-book.....

chapter 11 on wadcutters.....

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
m.A.g.a. !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I used to shoot the Lee 208gr WC in 44 mag at anywhere from 700fps, and over max loads of H110 and 2400. But with Red dot and Unique with milder loads i could keep them under 2 inches at 50 yards when i could hold good. BTW that was in the 80's and 90's. I still have about 800 left i shoot from time time. Think the mold got sent to TXPete when i downsized a little. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Year or two ago a friend gave me almost a thousand 44 cal WC’s . Originally I’d thought I’d melt them and reuse the lead . Not even sure the grain weight most likely 200-240 . But I think I’ll load some in a 444 and see how they do on paper and if they do relatively well I’ll plunk a deer .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Why not try wadcutters in other calibers? Use some caution in how hot the load is, just as you would do with any other caliber and bullet combination. At the very least you will find out if they are accurate in your firearm.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost