HENRY Model X

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

HENRY Model X

Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

Well, Marlin might have competition:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy ... X%20Models

Henry, side loading gate, in Pistol Calibres...

ATB,

Scrummy
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: HENRY Model X

Post by J Miller »

Ugh ...... that is the UGLIEST looking piece of pelosi I've ever seen. Lever guns don't look good at all tacticaled out. Barf, puke, wretch, gag.

I wouldn't own that thing if somebody gave it to me for my birthday.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Joe. Stop beatin around the bush and just tell us what you think! :wink:

I don't much care for it either.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Now, if it had a decent WOOD stock and forearm, I could see putting one thru its paces
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Not sure I'd turn one down as a present, probably find a use for one but always prefer steel and walnut . Still if Henry can get more people to own and use leverguns then good for them.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

WHAT AN EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY!

Someone could start making and selling aftermarket OLD WEST STOCKS for these!

levergun.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is one seriously ugly levergun. Wood furniture should help the looks. Maybe.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have some guns I own because they are pretty, some because they represent military or other history, and some purely because they function the best when life is on the line (think 'Glock')...

Many of my leverguns are 'traditional' because I like the appearance, but also because they represent the pinnacle of evolution of practical woods-walking, mid-range-hunting, mid-power, decent-accuracy firearms development.

SOME of my leverguns are not 'traditional' because they are PRACTICAL (not 'tactical'):

Ruger 96/44 - the best for in and out of vehicles, crossing public roads, and other times when I'm deer hunting and need to unload and reload repeatedly, plus I like the easy addition of a scope for low-light hunting. Image

Ruger 96/22 with integral Operative suppressor - the best for introducing 'newbies' to shooting - no recoil, unintimidating action type, nearly silent, and super-easy to hit with using the Tru-Glo red-dot optic. Image

Marlin and Rossi 'Night Scout' leverguns - the best for a hasty trip outside at O-dark-thirty when the livestock is under attack; perfect 'night' sights without the bulk of a true infrared system, and easy application of a clip-on light so I can see what I'm shooting at (and hitting, thanks to the combination of red-dot and laser).

ImageImage

None of them look as pretty or 'authentic' as a vintage 1892, 1894, or 1895, although compared to the Savage 99, the Winchester 88, or Marlin 62, they aren't bad.

So yeah....I'd be interested in the Henry Model X.....although the Marlin CST is pretty cool....
20191013_185333-1.jpg
Recently, I traded up for a Marlin 1894-CST so I can add my Mystic suppressor and make IT perhaps an even better 'newbie' levergun but still applicable to the other tasks-at-hand... :mrgreen:

HOWEVER - the Henry is available in 45 Colt, which is REALLY cool....!!!!!!
H012MX_Main.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the 44 has a 1:20 barrel !!!!!

kudos for that feature.... I wonder if it would feed my 405gr revolver loads. the underside rail is a perfect spot for a green laser. that would make hip shots trivial from 40 yards in daylight, and 100 easy after civil twilight.

that gun gets high marks for its practical utility, but seems short on capacity....
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

It does look much better than:
464-spx.jpg
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In any of the 3 calibers, it could be good for home defense. I just would have to find a way to get past the looks.
D. Brian Casady
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I read all of the posts before I actually clicked the henry website link so I was prepared for "snag lightning" or "make a freight train take a dusty road" level of ugly but it is not so bad. Now that tactitard mossberg is :
-1.jpg
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, if you're talking about 'home defense' then who cares about whether the firearm 'looks good' or not.....besides, imagine if you took this person (Ray, I hope that isn't a friend or relative of yours.... :oops: ) and put an ugly levergun in their hands - the combination would scare intruders quite effectively...!
tmp.tmp.jpg
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

historicfirearms
Levergunner

Post by historicfirearms »

Its not pretty but I think it does serve a purpose. As a home defense gun it would be hard to beat. The younger generation probably will be more attracted to it which is a good thing. I'm not running out to buy one but I'm glad we have choices.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Hopefully they will expand the side gate Big Boy offerings to include more traditional models. A steel framed 41 Mag with a loading gate and walnut would make me a real happy camper. I'll pass on the current offering but see it as a step in the right direction.

Eric
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Oh, it's not THAT bad, it's just a tool after all .
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The only thing I see "tactical" is the light/laser rail on the forearm. Many guns today are made with plastic stocks and matte black finishes, even some bolt action hunting rifles. I guess some fellers think if it ain't walnut and blued steel it ain't a gun...

I've got a "cheap, ugly, plastic rifle" (Ruger American in 308) that gives me 7/8"-1" groups @100 quite easily...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Im not all that crazy about new tactical looking lever guns but I do think that it opens the minds of others who previously would not look at lever guns. I can also see a practical use for these newer synthetic lever guns. They would work well down here in the swamps of Louisiana. I love the old wood guns but the synthetic stock guns are sure easy to keep nice for longer down here in the swamps. Never know when your gun might take a plunge in a slough or other mud hole and the wood can swell up.

Not exactly my cup of tea but I can def see a use for them.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Not at that price, maybe $450-550... You always just put camo tape on it or any color you wanted. What does ut weigh cant find anything on weight. Knowing Henry tho, it'll be close to 8lbs.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:25 pm Not at that price, maybe $450-550... You always just put camo tape on it or any color you wanted. What does ut weigh cant find anything on weight. Knowing Henry tho, it'll be close to 8lbs.
7.3 pounds
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thanks Jim, guess I been spoiled by my 5lb Puma in 45 Colt.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Scrumbag wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm Hi folks,

Well, Marlin might have competition:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy ... X%20Models

Henry, side loading gate, in Pistol Calibres...

ATB,

Scrummy
Not might. If you've been watching, Henry is going after the Rossi/Marlin market hard. Sidegates were the initial declaration of war and these are body blows aimed directly at competing with Marlin's last model innovation. Watch as these turn into the hundreds of special edition runs and stuff. I don't see Remington/Marlin having the corporate agility to keep up.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you want a pretty gun, walnut or burled blonde maple is cool, but if you want one that withstands the elements, ditch the wood and go plastic, or carbon fiber, etc.. :roll:

There are reasons to like both, and neither is good at what the other excels at.

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I'd have to see the street price, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Hardest decision I'd have to make would be in .357 or .44 mag

(probably in .357, would be easier to get a can for it)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nowhere near as ugly as that Mossberg monstrosity. But, still, there's a market for these? Won't compete with other "black rifles" in pistol calibers...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Too expensive and Too heavy for Me. the fiber optic sights look cool for the range and work well but I don't think they will stand up to hard use of any kind. it's a 100% improvement over the Mossberg.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Phyllis Diller on her worst day was not as ugly as that thing from Mossberg. AND we all remember that Mrs Diller was known for her ugliness.
D. Brian Casady
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I haven't heard much about the Mossberg thing lately. Is it still made and did any sell?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:20 pm Thanks Jim, guess I been spoiled by my 5lb Puma in 45 Colt.
Yeah, that's why I like the little 'Night Scout' I made from a Rossi 45 Colt the best of all of them...

The light clips on and off with regular 30mm QD scope rings, and overall the gun is handy and light and fast - and QUIET (I really don't want to don hearing protection when outside to check livestock - otherwise I'd take an AR-15).

I don't really care if it has 'walnut' or 'plastic' or even the 'hardwood' stocks it came with - any will do. The more weatherproof the better, but the real 'weather' issue with leverguns is the tube under the fore-end rusting due to moisture getting under there, and that happens regardless of stock material.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

but the real 'weather' issue with leverguns is the tube under the fore-end rusting due to moisture getting under there, and that happens regardless of stock material.
In Alaska (in The Tongass) I learned to bed all my firearms in a thick coating of vaseline. Including inside the actions where it wouldn't freeze or foul anything. The innards look better than the outards after 30 years of such, uh, shadetreeishness.
Curtai
Levergunner

Post by Curtai »

I'm just sitting here, if a forum dedicated to lever guns and everyone says it's ugly and wouldn't buy it, why can't I find one somewhere? But then I remember all the people buying up all the guns at my local sporting goods store and don't even have ammo for it... I can't decide what caliber I want though either, the .357 or the 45.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I guess ol' Forrest Gump could have had a point. Ugly is as ugly does.
D. Brian Casady
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Curtai wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:00 am I'm just sitting here, if a forum dedicated to lever guns and everyone says it's ugly and wouldn't buy it, why can't I find one somewhere? But then I remember all the people buying up all the guns at my local sporting goods store and don't even have ammo for it... I can't decide what caliber I want though either, the .357 or the 45.
If you cannot decide, the best thing to do is to get one in each caliber. 8)
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It doesn't matter what you old Fudds think about it. :D

Henry is focusing on the market demand for self/home defense. Marlin is doing the same thing with their 1894 SBL and CSBL line. Mossberg is doing the same.

They're all going to sell everything they can produce.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.