Caring for "lightweight" 1911s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Caring for "lightweight" 1911s

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I recently bought a Kimber Stainless LW 1911 in .45 to carry as a duty weapon for my new job at our county shooting range.
I went this way to just make it more comfortable to carry, having never owned an alloy-framed .45. I lubed it thoroughly with the FP-10 sample that came with the gun, ran 100 rounds through it and will run another 200 through it shortly.
All seems totally well but "it is early days" as my Texas grandmother used to say. Are there wear points on the frame one needs to watch for? Any other advice? IIRC, Jeff Cooper thought highly of the lightweight Colt Commanders.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Caring for "lightweight" 1911s

Post by Stevie »

The magazines...certain types of magazines like old style 1911 split followers can slip forward with the last round and pecker-up the frame feed ramp. Not an issue with steel framed guns. Alloy frame safe mags will have a 'skirted' follower....I use Kimber mags in an allow framed officer size pistol. Any number of other brand mags have skirted followers like Remington and ACT etc.

Some hollow-point bullets can cause wear to the feed-ramp. Hot and heavy loads can break/crack frame with extended use(no 'Granpa's whammy shells).

I break them all in wet...steel or alloy so things get worked in and slicked-up together.....I believe it important with alloy framed 1911 pistols so the frame and slide don't gall. The aluminum alloys today are far superior to what was used in the past....and a quality 1911 alloy or steel should last indefinitely
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have a Kimber CDP, government model with aluminum frame. I can't see any unusual wear points. It has been totally reliable and reliable. The 22 conversion kit on it is neither.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

If it is a full size 1911 with 5" barrel as I think it is then I think I would add one of the buffer pads to the recoil rod. A good one.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff- ... uctinfo/2B

Otherwise keep it well lubricated. Light weight alloy are more prone to galling when they get dry.

Wm
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yes, it's a full-size five-incher. I used to have shock buffs and a bushing wrench. Now I can't find them. :cry:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Cool, a job where you can carry and help gun loving folks.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My alloy-framed Para Ordnance P-14 1911 has fired several thousand rounds and no appreciable wear on bearing surfaces. Steel slide has black painted finish and holster wear though. Functions SO smoothly.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

One thing I recall seeing years ago, a gunsmith of known repute was discussing various modifications people do to their guns, he said hed seen a number of alloy frame guns that well meaning people had polished the ramp in the frame, and therby removing the hard finish and leaving the bare aluminum exposed, which didnt wear well compared to the hard finish the anodizing provided. His comment was the frame was basically ruined at that point once it wore and had gone past the correct shape from the extra wear.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I just bought myself a Kimber Pro Carry II 2 tone. Yeah, it has the aluminum frame cause I want it to be light for carrying. Just picked it up today and will put some rounds through it tomorrow. I've been getting by with a Star PD of which I've owned a couple in my time. This Kimber has the 4" barrel which makes it so handy. It even fits the Galco Summer Comfort holster that I've had the PD in. I have total confidence in the Wilson mags of which I have about 10 left over from IPSC in the eighties. Pretty sure a couple of them are 8 rounders. The first 2 I owned were handed to me by Bill himself as I'd won them in a match a month or so before and they weren't available at that time. Beautiful gun, think I'm going to really like it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've had a Colt LW Commander for many years.
While there are certainly areas that are more vulnerable than a steel frame gun ( feed ramp and recoil lug IMO ), I think a lot of the fears are unfounded. They are just repeated until accepted as truth.
When Colt developed the aluminum frame, it was with eyes toward military use. They, and many other manufacturers, have done exhaustive testing over many decades.
The biggest issues are old-style mags damaging the feed ramp. This damage also comes from large amounts of older, poorly profiled hollow points, and people grinding on them.
The recoil block damage is completely avoidable. This also is done to steel frame guns because people fail to see recoil springs as a consumable. This is especially true of Commanders due to the shorter cycle length.
For me, the LW Commander makes more sense than steel. If I was going to carry steel, I'd just carry the 5" as there isn't much weight difference.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You're absolutely right OlWin. Normal music wire springs are only good for 1-2K rounds. Buy the 22 lb wound from square wire and they last at least 10X that long. Most people will never wear one out. And put a shock buff in it and change it every 2K rounds. Only oil contact surfaces. Don't forget the barrel lugs and shroud.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I hear good things about Sportsmans Warehouse. It's not too far from me being in Lansing, Michigan.

A buddy wants to go over there and look at a Ruger SR45 (he likes mine & likes their price).
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... s/p/p41723

I might take a look at Ruger SR9.
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... s/p/p41723
or
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... s/p/p47093

The SR series has been discontinued but darn if they are not pretty nice handguns for this price (Less then $270 OTD).

Wm
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The only change I'd make to an alloy frame 1911 style pistol is a recoil buffer under the spring. A cheap buffer will ensure that hot rounds never batter the frame when fired. But if you avoid hot rounds then likely you wont need the buffer.
You can buy a pack of them for $5, or you can simply go to Home Depot and buy some poly plumbing washers to slip over the recoil rod and do the same thing.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Let's face it...Most of "breaking in" involved getting the parts used to each other. I've had good luck with getting the action dry as possible, and MANUALLY working the action several hundred times while watching TV....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got a Kimber Custom II I carry four days a week to the shop . I’ve also got a Kimber 6” in 10mm that I don’t really carry . But I wanna add one of the Kimber Custom Carry II 4” jobs with the alloy frame just haven’t found one cheap enough to fit my semi Jewish nature lols !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:21 am This is the one I bought.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... /p/1541698
Oh Bill, that is a great price! Ended up with $665 in min by the time I got it home. Pretty much the same gun as yours.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Saw a utube video of Bill Wilson telling how he maintains his 1911. Pulling the extractor and cleaning it's hole with a nylon 22 brush is recommended.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:44 pm Saw a utube video of Bill Wilson telling how he maintains his 1911. Pulling the extractor and cleaning it's hole with a nylon 22 brush is recommended.
Yup! I do this same thing about every 9ther cleaning. I always felt it was overlooked by many 1911 users.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I thoroughly clean everything on any gun when I first buy them. But I've had some for over two decades and never cleaned the extractor channel again after the first time. And never had a failure to extract ever.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/