Lead Ammunition Ban

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Lead Ammunition Ban

Post by stretch »

Is anybody seeing this in any other states right now?

I see this as the thin edge of a wedge - hunting today, total ban tomorrow.
It's concerning. The current head of IF&W in Maine is a Democratically-appointed
woman originally from Massachusetts. She'd like to increase participation in outdoor
sports. This ain't the way to do it, methinks. Any of the other ammunition options
presented are MUCH more expensive than lead based ammunition.

They're not saying whether the lead is definitively from pellets, fishing sinkers,
or bullets. Lead sinkers and birdshot have been outlawed in Maine for years, but
there's a lot of that stuff still out there in waterways. And marine paint, of course,
is still lead-based.

The other question is, what happens to air rifle and .22 hunting? Or traditional
muzzleloading? Or older firearms whose barrels might not be up to a diet of harder copper?
As far as I can tell, there are no reasonable alternatives at the moment.

-Stretch

https://www.centralmaine.com/2020/01/16 ... le-deaths/
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Lead Ammunition Ban

Post by Marvin S »

This stuff ? Nothing here yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Gun control. Pure and simple.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Then they need to outlaw copper pipes in your house too, the majority were soldered with 50/50 or even pure lead!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I've melted plenty of pure lead water pipes from the scrap yard. I'm sure they haven't all been replaced yet.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Lead pipes were most often waste lines.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:19 pm Lead pipes were most often waste lines.
They sure had a lot of hard water lime accumulation.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lead SALTS (dissolved lead) are the dangerous things; metallic lead is harmless when ingested or implanted (of course the 'implanting' process itself can be lethal). Some does dissolve in the body, and especially can in the gut, so no, I wouldn't recommend eating lead, but the big toxicity would be soluble lead which I'm betting is far more likely with lead-based paint and already-dissolved lead ions entering waterways from wastewater, versus metal bullets.

Also - the bunches of pellets in shotshells that get into waterways would seem to me to be a million-fold more significant than the rifle bullets due to volume of lead out there, surface-area of smaller pellets versus one big chunk, and the fact that most bullets wind up in the ground or a tree trunk, if not in the game taken home, neither of which is a thing making the lead likely to end up ingested in much quantity by a large animal.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I work for the state government and We do not let fact get in the way of a political cause.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The last lead smelter in the USA was closed last year due to over-regulation. They'll be able to regulate imports.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks for posting that; I'll have to watch for more on this.
stretch wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:12 am They're not saying whether the lead is definitively from pellets, fishing sinkers,
or bullets. Lead sinkers and birdshot have been outlawed in Maine for years, but
there's a lot of that stuff still out there in waterways. And marine paint, of course,
is still lead-based.
Actually, that's not correct, per the boating associations I belong to:

"Historically, organotin compounds such as TBT (Tributyltin) were used in most high performance marine antifouling coatings until they were banned more than two decades ago. Since then, copper-based substitutes (typically cuprous oxide) have become the most widely used alternative.
* Copper is naturally occurring in water.
* Copper does not bioaccumulate in food chains.
* There are many sources of copper in the environment; and marine paints are not a major source.
* Copper is a metal so, although it cannot degrade, when released in the environment, it quickly “detoxifies” by binding to organic matter in the water."

I think you have a point though that if they can't get our guns -- then they'll come at us some other way (there has to be a military term to describe this...) where we're weaker and not expecting it, or not prepared for the fight.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

There is aVERY succinct military phrase that fits most of what the left proposes .....but I would be banned from the site forever for even using the initials😎.
I would be so screwed if this state outlawed lead bullets. I love casting and finding good sources. Not to mention shooting 100 year old guns with the stuff.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.