Marlin 57 extractor tension ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 57 extractor tension ?

Post by spurgon »

Im attempting to resolve a feeding issue with a Marlin 57 22lr.
The bolt is not engaging the rim of the cartridge as its lifted out of the magazine and pushed up by the cartridge lifter. The right and left extractors have very different spring pressure. The one on the ejection port side is very stiff. The one on the other side is
alot weaker. Could this be an issue causing the feeding problem.?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 57 extractor tension ?

Post by GunnyMack »

Take the stiff side out, see if the gun feeds. If not then you know that is not the problem. However if it feeds then swap the springs from side to side, function test again. If it feeds with the weaker spring on the ejection port and ejects leave it alone. (I'd replace both springs just cuz they are cheap enough. )
Dual extractors are needed for rimfires as the thin rims can tear out, belt & suspenders. The stiffer spring should be on the outside so the weak side releases when the ejector hits the case head. Ideally both springs should be equal, again I'd replace them.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!