OT - Olympic Arms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Olympic Arms

Post by cnjarvis »

I'm getting ready to purchase my first EBR. A M15-A4 from Olympic Arms. Can anyone tell me about this company?
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Hmmm..... without turning this into an AR forum, or a detailed thread....

No matter what name you threw out, there would be some people for, and some against. That's just the way it goes.

I have SOME experience with MANY different manufactures. Lots with some, just a little with others.

With getting specific, I will say if I were buying, Oly would not be my first choice. Nor would it be near the top of the list.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I have to ask about these things because I don't have any experience with them and I can't get my hands on one without ordering it. I'd like a Rock River but I'm not willing to wait 4-6 months to get my hands on one. Can anyone recommend a forum where I can ask?
LakeCity
Levergunner

Post by LakeCity »

I have owned/own and shot about 2 dozen AR-15's. Colts, Oly's, Bushwackers, and other sundry makes. I shot NRA Highpower for several years with them and am classified as a Master. Back then I used a Colt AR-15 in Match Rifle and a home built DPMS AR-15 in Service Rifle.

With that said, I will say that I have never seen an Olympic Arms in competition. I owned an Olympic Plinker and it was a sorry excuse.

The primary problems with them are their low quality upper and lower receivers.

Were I to look for another AR-15, Olympic would be my last choice. Look at Rock River, DPMS, or Stinger if cost is the driving factor. I have built several from parts using DPMS and Stinger lowers and was very pleased with them.

I hope this is received as constructive input and not just as a slam on Oly.

With best regards,
Jeff in Texas
============================================

Walk softly, but carry...
NRA Life
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Thanks CAS and LakeCity. Glad you said something about Oly. Even the gunshop said Oly isn't that great. I ordered a Bushmaster ORC (optics ready carbine) and I expect to have it next week.
LakeCity
Levergunner

Post by LakeCity »

Good choice! Bushwacker is one of the best ones on the market. I know you'll be pleased with your decision.

Jeff in Texas
============================================

Walk softly, but carry...
NRA Life
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I owned a Olympic AR15 HBAR, and it was a fantastic gun, that functioned reliably, and shot extremely accurate. It now belongs to my nephew, who is also tickled with it.
If your Oly wont function well, simply send it back to the factory. Afterall, they are LIFETIME guaranteed!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My work rifle is an Olympic Arms on the AR15 type platform but in 45 ACP. I have used it since 1995 with thousands of rounds and it has continued to run perfectly.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Thanks 4t5, I found the site about 3 months ago and now have a nasty case of black rifle disease to go along with my leveritis... My bank account may be mortally wounded. :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I agree www.ar15.com is the place to go for info on Stoner's creation. I believe Gunsmoke Enterprises started a forum, but I'm not sure.
Old Law Dawg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Don't forget Colt. To me they're worth the extra $$. I won't be parting with mine anytime soon. :D

Only other brand I have experience with is Bushmaster. Also an excellent choice.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My son has a bushy. He doesn't even realize just how good it shoots. I shoot it better than he does, but he's coming along.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I have a Plinker, an early one, that after several thousand rounds is still a superb rifle. Cost me just under $500 back when I bought it, and it was money well spent. I have never had a single misfire or stoppage (even with several beat-up, crappy --one literally wired together-- old mags I sometimes practice with), and almost any ammo I've put thru it will group into 2" at 100 yards with the iron sights, or one inch with a cheap Chinese 4X Colt-syle scope mounted to the carry handle.I have no doubt it is inferior in some manner to rifles costing 2 or 3 times as much, but I'm darned if I can see how. Whatever the deficiency may be, it's obviously something I don't need.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Buy C-products mags here for 9.95-12.95. Do not pay $20 for a Bushy or any other mag, they are probably made by C-products anyway. Buy as many as you can while you can. Same with ammo. Cabelas has good prices on bulk Wolf, and yes, you can safely use steel cased ammo in your AR.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR_1 ... zines.html
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I just "fixed" a olympic arms heavy barreled for a buddy of mine.
I did get it too shoot sub moa out 272 yds.
But I would not but one.
The Bushmasters shoot as good or better with no work and the Colt match just plan shoots.
As was said above I'd go with something else.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

My Colt AR15A2 Govt Carbine was 100% reliable. It did not teach me to like the AR15 design, and I particulary dislike short, skinny-barreled models. I sold mine to a fellow peace officer. I am considering a Colt HBAR to carry at work, or I may decide to just forego carrying a patrol carbine for what will probably be the last few years of my LE career. Regarding Olympic in particular, I have not heard good things about them.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I possibly owe my life to the Oly Arms carbine that I used when I was on SWAT. It went bang when I needed it to. I think that they are all good, some may be better. I liked Oly Arms and some liked the Bushmaster. I have spent some time with an original Colt M16 and an Armalite as well. I could not see anything wrong with any of them if used and maintained properly.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Here 'tis! Bushy ORC

I haven't had time to wring it out yet (waiting on a better scope) but it sure is a hoot. Fit and finish is very good and overall I'm very happy with it.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Hoo boy!!. Black rifle disease and leveritis, you are fixin to spend a heap of money. Now all you need is single action syndrome and 1911 rash and you will be in the poor house! :shock:
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

FWIW- I ordered a stock from them and it took them forever to ship it. :roll:
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

I have been looking into getting a Rock River Arms Tactical A4 here lately or their version of the Varmit A4. I dont know to much about the platform but I've been thinking its time to go ahead get one and stock up. Nice looking Bushmaster by the way!.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Black rifle disease is about as bad the levergun syndrome.

I had my mind all made up on what black rifle was to be purchased next but I choose a black pistol and CCW instead.

Man life is hard sometimes. :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Johnny