Rebarreling a 94AE?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cheyenne
Levergunner

Rebarreling a 94AE?

Post by Cheyenne »

Hi guys,

I've been rolling over some potentially over complicated ideas in my head, but humor me please.

I've got a 94ae in 30-30 which has given me some problems chambering rounds, you can probably find the post in my history. It's largely resolved now, but I can feel resistance occasionally. I've been oogling 38-55s and 375s recently, so maybe this is a good opportunity to rechamber the 30-30. My concern is that rechambering won't solve my problem since the 38-55 and 30-30 have similar cases and might get hung up at the same place at the base of the case.

Anyway, I was looking at barrels which I could have rebored and installed on my rifle. I assume a top eject barrel won't go on my AE rifle, but will an AE XTR or an AE Big Bore barrel go on with no adjustments needed to the forend, hanger, etc? Can a 375 win barrel be reamed out to 38-55?

Thanks for any help.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Rebarreling a 94AE?

Post by wm »

Or go the other way and rebarrel to 7-30 Waters?

I only say that because I have already scratched the 38-55 & 375 Win itches and want to try a 7-30 waters some day.

I would say if you can't find what you want and you have the resources to remake what you have into what you lust for …… go for it.

But then again when it comes to spending other peoples money I've been known to be quite enthusiastic.

Wm

P.S.

Or http://www.cartridgecollector.net/408-w ... perimental

Just sayin'
Cheyenne
Levergunner

Post by Cheyenne »

I guess the real question is, will an XTR AE barrel screw into a regular AE carbine? I can get an XTR AE barrel in 375 Winchester from Numrich for a song. If I could just have that screwed into my receiver, maybe lengthen the chamber to true 38-55 specs, that seems like the easiest course of action.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Or send it to JES Reboring and have it redone to 35-3030 38/55 or? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sell the WIN and buy a Marlin 375 problem solved and most likely more accurate .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I’m not 100% sure but I think the barrels on the AE Big Bores were a different thread.

I have top eject and AE versions in 375 Win and the AE barrel has a heavier profile. At a minimum you would need the larger barrel bands that retain the magazine and forearm altered to fit the heavier profile barrel.

Personally I’d get your own barrel rebored. I’d go for a 375 diameter barrel but a 38/55 chamber. The 38/55 has a more cast friendly throat. Most moulds are better suited to a 375 diameter barrel, but crimp groove locations generally suit a 38/55 case.

BTW you can use 38/55 brass in 375 Win chambers, at least you can use brass that’s 2.08” long. Take a look at the SAAMI drawings for the 375 Win and 38/55. I haven’t tried but the longer Starline 38/55 brass (2.125”) may be too long. 375 brass has a thicker construction and are better suited to high pressure if you are contemplating heavy loads.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

The Numrich 375 barrels have finer threads than the standard 94 barrels so they won't interchange. The threads on the 94 and 94AE are the same but you will have to make an extractor cut/file on a top eject barrel for the AE extractor.

I have re-barreled several 94's that I still have all of which started out as 30-30's and the barrels were all in time meaning they ended up where they were meant to be after I tightened them to the receiver. I bought a 7x30 and 32 Spl barrels and the cartridges cycled fine through the action. Both were new from Numrich.

I have one of the original 94BB's and the barrel is thinner than the later ones. It was as thick in diameter as the 307 I had. If it were mine I would have you current gun re-bored if you can't find a barrel in the caliber you want.
Cheyenne
Levergunner

Post by Cheyenne »

Thanks guys. Having slept on it, rebarreling is over complicating the matter since I can't find a 38-55 AE barrel. I'm going to send it off to JES for a rebore.

Any advice on how many rifling cuts to get?
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

FWIW my factory 94BB 375 has a 6 groove barrel with a 1 in 12” twist and I have no problem obtaining good accuracy out of that barrel. 38/55 barrels generally have a 1 in 18” twist but a number of single shot 38/55 rifles these days have a 1 in 12” twist to stabilise heavy cast bullets.