Ruger LCP in 22lr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Ruger LCP in 22lr

Post by wm »

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... -ii-22-lr/

Uninspiring review but I think they missed the point …… as a understudy, inexpensive practice pistol it makes a lot of sense. Also as a lightweight, unobtrusive woodsloafing/hiking/around the farm or ranch pistol it would have some appeal. I would not give up my Bearcat which has made numerous hikes with me for it but I could see it filling that same role for someone else.

Wm
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger LCP in 22lr

Post by Blaine »

One of my very first EDCs was a S&W .22 AirLite...8 shots about 13oz loaded. A fellow could 8-tap the chest area in about 2 seconds....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Nice looking pistol.

I don't like anything about the "II" version of the LCP. I don't like the glock clone trigger, and I HATE THE LIGHT LET OFF.

One of the reasons I like the LCP is that it has the trigger pull of a DAO revolver. The "II" version could easily get squeezed off in your pants, like glocks have done. AND I think the external safety is pathetic. It's necessary because the trigger is too light for a gun that fits in a pocket, so there are about three different things someone would have to take into consideration to be adequately organized, which is too much to process if you NEED a weapon, and this is what you are carrying.

as far as 22lr being inadequate for killing people, shoot someone in the ear or eye and they will collapse the same way a deer does shot in the ear or eye. or in one instance I know of, a bear coming in a tent after the cook armed with a .22 rifle.

now if the protocol is three in center mass, yes, then I would expect to get shot before the bg goes down.

but, all that said, I would love to put a brick through the new lcp, but I wouldn't pay up to do it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:58 pm Nice looking pistol.

I don't like anything about the "II" version of the LCP. I don't like the glock clone trigger, and I HATE THE LIGHT LET OFF.

One of the reasons I like the LCP is that it has the trigger pull of a DAO revolver. The "II" version could easily get squeezed off in your pants, like glocks have done. AND I think the external safety is pathetic. It's necessary because the trigger is too light for a gun that fits in a pocket, so there are about three different things someone would have to take into consideration to be adequately organized, which is too much to process if you NEED a weapon, and this is what you are carrying.

as far as 22lr being inadequate for killing people, shoot someone in the ear or eye and they will collapse the same way a deer does shot in the ear or eye. or in one instance I know of, a bear coming in a tent after the cook armed with a .22 rifle.

now if the protocol is three in center mass, yes, then I would expect to get shot before the bg goes down.

but, all that said, I would love to put a brick through the new lcp, but I wouldn't pay up to do it.
Amen
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Looks like an interesting option for the "kit gun" role -- tucked in a pocket while fly fishing a mountain creek, or loaded with the CCI snake load up top for minimal defense while hiking in places like my local desert.
I wonder if Ruger hurried this to market after getting wind of Glock's new .22.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

IF this new LCP 22lr proves to be reliable, I see it being a good option for an elderly individual or someone with arthritis who has difficulty pulling the slide back of any other semi auto pistol. Little recoil and less muzzle bark are also bonuses. As for carrying a handgun while backpacking: if it HAD to be a LCP (since that is the discussion), then it would have to be a 380 version.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

My first inclination is to aquire one just as soon as the rush and clamouring is over but then I think instead I'll just replace the old tackle box beretta 21 that lies rusting in that blue-hole oxbow of tortuga creek.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, that'n made me laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry for your loss.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might find this review a little more to your liking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkKxFBjTnBc

Personally I tend to favor revolvers more these days but I can see where a .22 would be a better choice for someone starting off as they could more likely afford to practice with it. The number of rounds it carries if unloaded into someone's boiler room would certainly have some results.
While I might favor an LCR I can certainly see a use for it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rusty, thanks for that link. It is really good to see Jeff Quinn making a video after all he has been through. God bless him.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:32 am Rusty, thanks for that link. It is really good to see Jeff Quinn making a video after all he has been through. God bless him.
That's an old video but the information is still good.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Old? Dated Dec. 30, 2019. ???
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:13 am My first inclination is to aquire one just as soon as the rush and clamouring is over but then I think instead I'll just replace the old tackle box beretta 21 that lies rusting in that blue-hole oxbow of tortuga creek.
That had the Tip-Up bbl, right? I always figgered that feature was perfect for those that for one reason of the other couldn't work the slide.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, that very feature -- the tip-up barrel for the first shot -- was a big reason why those Berettas were popular purse guns for elderly ladies who could not rack a slide.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Blaine wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:25 pm One of my very first EDCs was a S&W .22 AirLite...8 shots about 13oz loaded. A fellow could 8-tap the chest area in about 2 seconds....
Blaine -- I prefer your choice of the Airlite revolver over this. I had a Beretta 21a for years, and as much as I enjoyed shooting it, there were reliability issues with .22-cal ammo. I hope you still have your Airlite, because I replaced my Beretta 21A with a Ruger LCR-22 (8-shots of .22)... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894c wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:54 pm
Blaine wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:25 pm One of my very first EDCs was a S&W .22 AirLite...8 shots about 13oz loaded. A fellow could 8-tap the chest area in about 2 seconds....
Blaine -- I prefer your choice of the Airlite revolver over this. I had a Beretta 21a for years, and as much as I enjoyed shooting it, there were reliability issues with .22-cal ammo. I hope you still have your Airlite, because I replaced my Beretta 21A with a Ruger LCR-22 (8-shots of .22)... :)
I'll never get rid of the AirLite...but, I have to mention that the .22 LCR is almost a half-pound heavier than the AirLite :shock: But, I'm thinking that with the longer barrel and useable sights, yours would make a better kit gun.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Y'all cornfused this aging pilgrim switchin' back and forth between the LCP and the LCR ... :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:14 pm Y'all cornfused this aging pilgrim switchin' back and forth between the LCP and the LCR ... :lol:
You: :wink: Mind your Ps and Qs. 8) 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:59 am Ray, that'n made me laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry for your loss.
Thanks for your condolences.....

I really loved that pistol.....

That bateaux wreck was costly but we all survived.....
m.A.g.a. !
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I still carry a 21A at times. I is picky about ammo, but once you find what it likes, its works well. You just go thru a lot of ammo finding the right one.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Until I can try one, I will withhold judgement. My Mother cannot work the release on the Beretta to get the barrel to tip up. Not enough hand strength due to arthritis. I am still looking for something that she can use. This LCP II may or may not be the answer.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost