Shooting Times article on Uberti single action revolvers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Shooting Times article on Uberti single action revolvers

Post by wm »

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... ies/370286

Thought this might interest some of you folks.

I have never had a Remington single action. I have read that some think it a superior pistol to the Colt SAA which is quite a claim to make. One of these days I need to pick up one and see for myself.

Wm
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting Times article on Uberti single action revolvers

Post by hfcable »

I have the uberti 1875 in 44/40 and 45 colt, and it does seem easier to shoot than the colt. both versions are very very accurate.
cable
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Growing up on Colts, the Remington grip always felt odd to me. It was OK and comfortable enough, but it just wasn't what I was used to.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I remember the day....a Wednesday in 1975 at Wilsons gun auction. I was 21 and hoped that I had enough money to buy an 1892 Winchester in 25-20 which in those days went for about $150-$200 in the condition it was in.

The "gun of the auction" came up....a 100% NIB (original box) 1875 single action Remington with full nickel plate in 44 Remington caliber........hammer price was $900 and the crowd just gasped......

Ive run across a few of these along with the rarer 1890 over the years but they never "grabbed" me like the Colts did.----6
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

We have two pietta and two uberti 1858s and santa just brought my eldest a pietta with a spare cyl.

Nothing points more naturally than a 1851 colt but the rem.s are quickly becoming my favorites.....

The original 1875s in the old peliculas had an ascetic appeal just from their differences, in profile to the ubiquitous colts......
m.A.g.a. !
1894c

Post by 1894c »

man...I used to buy the Shooting Times magazine all the time, but since the digital I haven't bought a magazine in years, not even a Combat Handguns, or a Field & Stream... :(
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Uberti set a high bar among the Italian manufacturers, but I have heard the competition is what forced Pietta to go CAD/CNC and I hear some of Pietta's products now beat Uberti for quality.
I recently took delivery of a Uberti 1851 Navy London model. Boy is it well made and timed! 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've had both Uberti copies of the 1858 & a 1875 Remington SA, neither of which were "natural" feeling or pointing the way a Colt SAA is for me. Nothing wrong with the guns, just not for me. Just glad someone else wanted them when they need to depart my house!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, I have had several of the 1858s, and that grip shape raps my knuckle, much as I like the rest of the design.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

wm wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:20 pm https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... ies/370286

Thought this might interest some of you folks.

I have never had a Remington single action. I have read that some think it a superior pistol to the Colt SAA which is quite a claim to make. One of these days I need to pick up one and see for myself.

Wm
i have the tayler smokewagon in .357. Only complaint i have is getting cylinder pin out after shooting. research shows powder flash residue gets jammed in between pin and cyclinder. just gotta soak it a while in solvent or fill pin gap with a little bit of grease to block the powder residue. It helps to have a pin removal tool also. when its clean, the pin comes out easy peasy by finger. :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I own this original 1858 New Model Army Remington. It was refinished before I bought it in the early 1970`s. It came with a old post red bead King front sight and the U shaped hog wallow rear sight had been squared up. At the same time I owned a Ruger old army. This Remington I considered as good or even better gun than the modern Ruger counterpart. It is accurate. I haven't worked with it in ages but when I did it surprised me.
https://i.postimg.cc/HsHbZ9L2/Remington ... 120630.jpg
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bill, congratulations on owning an original. Not many can claim that privilege.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks Bill. Just for kicks and giggles, here is a picture (about 1971) of me and two close friends (both now dead) of me showing them my new Ruger New model army. I am on the right. Old Savage will reconise "Red" Becker on the left. Bill Sandifer in the middle. Taken at a campgrounds in the Sierras by Bill`s wife.

https://i.postimg.cc/yxq0WpK6/Red-Becke ... fer-me.jpg
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have an Uberti 1858 SS new Army with a conversion cylinder. It is one of the most accurate six shooters I have ever fired.
Cowboy loads all are accurate in it.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bill, had you boys had more than sufficient juice the night before? :lol:
Chuck, no doubts about the accuracy potential of the 1858s with their rigid frames and vastly improved sights. They have always been the most accurate cap-and-ball sixguns in my hands.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Notice that little piece on the end of the base pin bushing on your Colt SAA? That's left over from black powder days. It was put there to keep the blast of crud bearing gases out of the base pin hole. Remington doesn't have that deflector and is why Remingtons tie up after only a couple of cylinders of black powder. When I was about 13 I bought an original '58 and shot it for many years. I learned how to care for and feed it but a Colt was easier to keep shooting for a whole match. I've had 1875s and 1890s but they just ain't Colts. They look funny too with that grip screw located in the "wrong" place. I can't tell the difference in how they feel.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not much to go on, but with so many different hand sizes and shapes among us, it is only natural that some folks have a preference for certain grip shapes. I have a big palm and sort of normal length fingers. Colt doesn't fit me as well as Ruger does. That extra size to a Ruger compared to a Colt is more comfortable to me. I like the feel of the Remington grip. I do not have a BP handgun, and should remedy that. Maybe I could make some smoke signals at the range that Griff, CRS, BrianSH, or RKrodle could see.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

piller wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:21 pm I like the feel of the Remington grip. I do not have a BP handgun, and should remedy that.
The crunching feel and sound of a ball seating against the powder is most satisfying !
m.A.g.a. !