New Ruger Pistol on market ....... Model 57 Ruger 5.7X28 mm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

New Ruger Pistol on market ....... Model 57 Ruger 5.7X28 mm

Post by wm »

https://ruger.com/micros/57/

Never been sold on the 5.7X28 mm cartridge. IMO it is more appealing in a light weight rifle. If they offered a scaled up Ruger 10/22 in 5.7mm that might be something. The second iteration of the Deerstalker that was offered in 44mag could be used. Or maybe the more obvious choice would be the PCC. There are several AR uppers offered in 5.7 but …… well 223 is cheaper and more powerful.

But different strokes for different folks.

Wm

For those curious …… 5.7X28 mm SS196 ammo shoots a 40 grain VMAX bullet at 1950 fps out of a 16" barrel (http://www.57center.com/21.html).
For comparison a 22 mag Hornady's critical defense offering gives you a 45 grain bullet at 1776 fps out of a 16" barrel. (https://rangehot.com/22-magnum-ballisti ... ightbox/5/)

It's a hot 22 mag meant for semi auto & full autos (because of its low recoil …… has a lot of appeal to close protection details I am told.)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Ruger Pistol on market ....... Model 57 Ruger 5.7X28 mm

Post by 2ndovc »

Interesting.
I read somewhere that the intention of the 5.7 pistols and carbines from FN were for embassy type personnel that may have the need to put a lot of projectiles in the air in a very short amount of time and for people that weren't military or security. I've fired an FN PS90 and it's a lot of fun, but it's a loud little bugger! It would have made a fun little woodchuck gun when I lived out in the sticks. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I'll pass...

Looks like Kel-Tec designed it anyhow!

Oh wait -- that's not the first time that Ruger has openly copied Kel-Tec's design features, is it? (See Ruger's "LCP"...)

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Old No7 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:52 pm I'll pass...

Looks like Kel-Tec designed it anyhow!

Oh wait -- that's not the first time that Ruger has openly copied Kel-Tec's design features, is it? (See Ruger's "LCP"...)

Old No7
Kel Tecs 22 mag pistol called the PMR30

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/pmr30/

Wm
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Man alive thats FUGLY
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

wvfarrier wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:21 pm Man alive thats FUGLY
That's all part of the theft proof security technology kel tec seeks to incorporate into its products.

:lol:

Wm
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

wm wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:01 pm
Old No7 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:52 pm Oh wait -- that's not the first time that Ruger has openly copied Kel-Tec's design features, is it? (See Ruger's "LCP"...)
Kel Tecs 22 mag pistol called the PMR30

Wm
Correct. But Ruger's LCP is a copy/blatant ripoff of Kel-Tec's P3AT design.

'Ol Bill must be rolling over in his grave with the stuff that Ruger is designing these days.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH