Your Opinions On Sig Saur

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Your Opinions On Sig Saur

Post by Blaine »

Do you Gentlemen believe that Sig Saur is worth the extra $$$? :o :o
I like the idea of a SA/DA with decocker.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Your Opinions On Sig Saur

Post by crs »

My wife has their .380 and it is slick, accurate, and best of all , easy to operate the slide.
In a gun store/range yesterday and chatting with the clerk, she showed me a Sig 380 and told me they sell a lot of them to women.

They are not cheap, but who wants a cheap auto pistol?

It is your $ and your choice!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

crs wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:14 pm My wife has their .380 and it is slick, accurate, and best of all , easy to operate the slide.
In a gun store/range yesterday and chatting with the clerk, she showed me a Sig 380 and told me they sell a lot of them to women.

They are not cheap, but who wants a cheap auto pistol?

It is your $ and your choice!
Is it the one based on the 1911 design? I have an LCP....it's "just" ok.

I'm thinking P220 I love my 1911 and Glock 30S....Maybe another Sig in 9mm

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Sig 238 in .380 (like the old Colt Mustang) and carry it a lot. It's accurate and much more pleasant to shoot than any of the other .380s I've had ( Browning, Walther, and a couple of others). I keep looking at the slightly larger version in 9mm, but haven't bought one yet. I've always wanted a Sig 220! My Sig MPX runs like a Swiss watch, it was expensive but worth it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

OOOPS , double post. :roll: :roll:
Last edited by jnyork on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jnyork wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:54 pm Have owned and shot a P238 for many years, carry it in a Galco pocket holster. Never leave home without it.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Since I don't know much of anything that I am talking about, please don't judge me too harshly or take my opinions as the gospel
First .. I am not a fan of polymer guns.
Second .. I am not a fan of striker-fired guns.
Third .. I am amazed at how cheaply built many of these are
Fourth .. I am even more amazed at the prices they charge for them.
This is the Sig P320
frame2.JPG
The metal insert in the frame is the only serial numbered part of the 320
frame4.JPG
I am not sure if you call the the firing control group or the trigger assembly or what ..
frame7.JPG
The grip module (I looked that term up) is just a hollow piece of plastic. Excuse me .. Polymer. You can replace them for about $50 to $60.

So you are paying pretty close to $500 for a slide and barrel and the trigger group.

Thanks but I will stay with my all metal antique things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JimT wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:02 pm Since I don't know much of anything that I am talking about, please don't judge me too harshly or take my opinions as the gospel
First .. I am not a fan of polymer guns.
Second .. I am not a fan of striker-fired guns.
Third .. I am amazed at how cheaply built many of these are
Fourth .. I am even more amazed at the prices they charge for them.
This is the Sig P320
frame2.JPG
The metal insert in the frame is the only serial numbered part of the 320

frame4.JPG
I am not sure if you call the the firing control group or the trigger assembly or what ..

frame7.JPG
The grip module (I looked that term up) is just a hollow piece of plastic. Excuse me .. Polymer. You can replace them for about $50 to $60.

So you are paying pretty close to $500 for a slide and barrel and the trigger group.

Thanks but I will stay with my all metal antique things.
A 320, or any other like it is not under consideration. If I get another, it will have a hammer and a decocker.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Blaine wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 pm I like the idea of a SA/DA with decocker.
My P226 Stainless Elite has that feature and I like it alot.

(This posting needs some images...)
SIG P226 SS-E w CRKT Shrill (Small).jpg
Blaine wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 pm Do you Gentlemen believe that Sig Saur is worth the extra $$$? :o :o
Yes, and no...
No, unless you get a screaming deal, which is rare when buying new.
Yes, if you shop smart, look carefully, and get a really decent used one in great condition.

Here in Maine, so close to where they're made in NH, we see a lot of "employee discounted gun buys" turned in little used with only a few boxes (if any) fired, and there's some great deals to be had, since they're bought at the employee price. Kittery Trading Post will ship out of state to your FFL, and you can check their Used Gun Inventory at KTP (click for link) online very easily.

Oh, you had also asked:
Blaine wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 pm Your Opinions on Sig Saur
Having worked there I'd say...
Great guns! -- Challenging management...

'Nuff said.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I carry a .380 Sig 238. Really, I bought it because it was on sale at ACE as a fathers day sale with about $150 off about five years ago. Still while I pack it a lot I still haven't shot it all that much yet. It does appear well made. It has (to me) a heavy trigger pull. I have read it is a characteristic of that model and the fix is to get a colt mustang spring. I still need to buy that spring. I doubt I have put a 100 rounds through it yet. Good pocket gun.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I have a Sig Sauer P938, 9mm sub compact. It is not a "plastic or Melonite type, pistol. Some have referenced it as a mini 1911.
Anyway, I like it and I carry it all of the time.
Been also considering the CZ 75 Compact as another carry option.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Blaine wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:08 pm A 320, or any other like it is not under consideration. If I get another, it will have a hammer and a decocker.
Well .. I wasn't kidding when I said I did not know what I was talking about. I don't think I have ever fired a Sig in my life. Not sure I've even handled one.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I assume you are talking about the 220/226/228 etc line of handguns.

Personally I like them. Never owned one but I like them. I do own S&W 3906, 6904, 5906 and think highly of them as well even though they are long out of manufacture now.

Current production traditional DA/SA autos have sort of dwindled down to the Sigs, Beretta 92 (and copies), CZ 75 (and copies) and …… I think that is it. The more compact size of the Sig 9mm options probably makes them a bit more functional. Accuracy and reliability I would be surprised to find any sort of difference between those 3.

As for price …… I think they are about the same.

I like the ergonomics of the CZ-75.

Wm

P.S. Walther offers a budget pistol called the Creed (formerly called the PPQ IIRC) that is hammer fired and I think functions as a DA/SA. Zastva was importing a SIg Sauer resembling pistol called the 999 (again IIRC) that was interesting to my eye but I never saw one in the flesh.

Never mind …… a little research demonstrated "The Creed features a pre-cocked double-action trigger system".

https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-cree ... g6DxHdFyUk
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

WM,

I have a Walther PPX that was also a pistol the evolved into the Creed. It was my mom's and she picked it out. It's a full sized 9mm but it was the only one in the shop that she could pull the slide back every time. It's surprisingly accurate as well and as big as a G17. Shoots better groups than my G19 or 17.
There's a big difference between the Sig polymer guns and the traditional metal framed, exposed hammer, pistols with a safety and a decocker. A good friend has a P229 that he got from a Sheriffs Deputy that I've been trying to talk him out of for some time. That pistol is perfectly reliable and a really good shooter.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I had one of these briefly in late summer '87.....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_inf ... +acp+44%22

Left it at a shipmate's home.....

While we were out to sea his wife shacked with a nubian buck and put all of the hubbie's stuff into storage including the guns.....

You guessed it, storage locker burgled and there went my 220.....
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The SIG's that I like have hammers; their 938 (which I have and do carry on the rare occasion I want to be 'discrete' [ :lol: me - discrete - :lol: ]), and whatever their double-stack 45 ACP is (which I liked but no better than my already-trusted Para Ordnance double-stack 45, so didn't switch). I think the Indiana State Troopers went with the SIG 45.

Same for other brands; striker-fired I can't warm up to, but exposed hammer ones I might like as long as they are reliable.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Son and I shot pistol range before rifle range on New Years day and my old S&W M39 with wood grips got a lot of attention. The onlookers must have been born after the 39 was replaced. My son has some cool autos, but even he wanted to run a clip or two through the M39. It has the hammer drop safety and single or DA mode. It is as slick operating as my wife's new Sig and it does shoot to point of aim. My wife also has a M39 and wears it when out places like the deer lease; it seems to keep things respectful.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Only ever had one Sig, a P220ST.

Will never own another or ever trust my life to one.
Even after passing through the Sig Custom shop, it would fail to fire. Parts were out of tolerance and they failed/neglected to correct the situation 1st go around.

Never again
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:49 pm WM,

I have a Walther PPX that was also a pistol the evolved into the Creed. It was my mom's and she picked it out. It's a full sized 9mm but it was the only one in the shop that she could pull the slide back every time. It's surprisingly accurate as well and as big as a G17. Shoots better groups than my G19 or 17.
There's a big difference between the Sig polymer guns and the traditional metal framed, exposed hammer, pistols with a safety and a decocker. A good friend has a P229 that he got from a Sheriffs Deputy that I've been trying to talk him out of for some time. That pistol is perfectly reliable and a really good shooter.

jb 8)
We live in a golden age when even the cheap guns are pretty darn good.

Wm
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Blaine, keep your eye out for a Sig P6. German police trade ins 9MM. Single stack aloy frame w/ de cocker. Da/sa Best little carry gun I ever had. First wave came thru about three years back for under $250 with two mags, holster, now maybe $400 if you could find one. Ugly but a great shooter.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I heard that Sig soured on them. Do not know why he does not like them.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Beaker wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:00 pm I heard that Sig soured on them. Do not know why he does not like them.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Blaine wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 pm Do you Gentlemen believe that Sig Saur is worth the extra $$$? :o :o
I like the idea of a SA/DA with decocker.
a gOOD GUN BUT OVERPRICED. iF YOU WANT A DANG GOOD GUN WITH A DECOCKER , GO WITH A CZ 75BD IN 9MM OR .10MM. THESE ARE ALL STeEL FRAME AND SLIDE . i JUST BOghUT A 75D compact IN 9MM WITH A DECOCKER. tHE COMPACT IS AN ALUMINUM ALLOY FRAME FOR LIGHT WEIGHT CCW CARRY. nOT MUCH SMALLER THEN THE FULLSIZE 75BD i pICK IT UP from THE FFL TOMORROW. or better yet go to cz site for whats available the cz 75 is their flagship pistol and is world renowned by the militay and police
https://cz-usa.com. HAVE A RAG HANDY IS CASE YOU START DROOLING. :D THEY WILL HANDLE +P LOADS
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/produc ... 999-pistol

CZ999 …… Zastva CZ not the BRNO CZ

Not a direct copy of the SIg. Kind of like it …… the way the Ruger Blackhawk is kind of like the Colt SAA

Wm
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

SIG's are worth the money, JIMO, the last 15 years as a LEO, we carried what many now call the classic 226's and 228's, as I was leaving they where switching to the 229 for issue to everyone, they are great shooting pistols, not as easy to conceal as others, but many are in the same ball park, we had then in 9mm at first then staff went to 357sig and the Sergeants went to 45acp/220's, they do required a bit more clean up then others and run better "wet".
Still have the 226 da/sa, 226 DAK, 228 DAO, would not trade them off for anything
rabbit hunter
Levergunner

Post by rabbit hunter »

I now own or have owned as many as 13 or 14 Sigs. P225, P6, P229, P239, P220, P230, P245, and now carry a P365. I have never had a bad one. They have all been reliable and accurate. Admittedly I am partial to SA/DA pistols, but the 365 has a nice trigger for a striker fired pistol.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

sssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! What ya getting Blaine? :wink:
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rossim92 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:01 pm sssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! What ya getting Blaine? :wink:
I should probably go down to the Toy Store/Gun Range and try a few first...

The Springfield XD-E also has the features I'm looking for. and is a bit lighter.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Ive carried a Sig in one form or another on 4 continents in hostile environments. I absolutely swear by them. They just plain run and are darn accurate right out of the box. Im currently in love with my 226 and 229 Legion pistols. The slight changes made to their ergonomics are fantastic.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've owned 7 of em, none now. New ones are rather over priced IMO and not worth it. Used ones, fine.
Slow is just slow.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Blaine wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:24 pm
rossim92 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:01 pm sssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! What ya getting Blaine? :wink:
I should probably go down to the Toy Store/Gun Range and try a few first...

The Springfield XD-E also has the features I'm looking for. and is a bit lighter.
+1
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

wm wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:43 pm https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/produc ... 999-pistol

CZ999 …… Zastva CZ not the BRNO CZ

Not a direct copy of the SIg. Kind of like it …… the way the Ruger Blackhawk is kind of like the Colt SAA

Wm
I had one of the original 99s for awhile. Ran great. Didn’t fit my hand as well as a Kframe Smith so I traded it. Many of the newer pistols have gripframes that do work with short fingers. Even with the better fit I do better with a single action trigger.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have never been a huge fan of the Sigs, especially the polymer wonders that Jim was discussing. Their little .380 is one of the best in its class and they build a very nice 1911, but there are other 1911s just as nice for less money.
I tried the Sig P365 compact 9 and it just did not point well in my hand, so off it went. Springfield's new Hellcat is their answer to the 365, and I will be interested to handle one. That said, I just haven't bonded with a 9, ever.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:43 am I have never been a huge fan of the Sigs, especially the polymer wonders that Jim was discussing. Their little .380 is one of the best in its class and they build a very nice 1911, but there are other 1911s just as nice for less money.
I tried the Sig P365 compact 9 and it just did not point well in my hand, so off it went. Springfield's new Hellcat is their answer to the 365, and I will be interested to handle one. That said, I just haven't bonded with a 9, ever.
I have a Range Officer full size 9mm. If I wanted to pack around a full size 1911, this would be it. Rock Solid.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Got a P365 for Christmas and I REALLY like it. Fits my hand very well and points perfectly (for me anyway). Very pleasant to shoot, which is a bit surprising, given the small size. Quality appears flawless, inside and out. About 180 rounds through it so far with no malfunctions.

Only downside is that the magazines are hard to load due to small size and high capacity. I got a Maglula magazine loader, it works fine.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No experience with any Sig. I read all of the comments because it has always worked better for me to hear what someone I could actually talk to rather than what a writer for a magazine says. It seems that most everyone likes the older style Sig with the hammer. I am not right now shopping for one, but when I do decide to get another handgun, a Sig will be one of the ones under consideration.

OK, some writers actually do respond to letters. John Taffin and Jeff Quinn are two who do. I listen to and respect their opinions.

I have a striker fired Walther&Wesson model 99. Polymer lower by Smith&Wesson, upper by Walther. I could not ask for better. James Bond as played Pierce Brosnan carried one. Long single action trigger pull, shortest reset and double action trigger pull I have ever found, amazingly accurate, decocker on the slide, light weight, reasonably slim, and comes with 3 sizes of grips. The last time I fired it, I was shooting left handed and aiming with my left eye, I am right handed without a dominant eye, and the Range Officer commented on my nice 25 yard grouping. 150 rounds and not one out of the 10 ring on a B25 type target. Most were in a 3 inch circle. Striker fired polymer pistols may not be the best looking, and might not be to the liking of all, but there are some which work and shoot well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cabela's is haveing a special on Sig 938s. 100 off = 449 for the plain jane model. A big power step-up over my .380 LCP, and usable sights, and only 16oz. They look good on paper, anyway.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm a fan of the all metal Sigs', 220, 228, 229, 232, etc, but never warmed up to their plastic and/or striker fired guns. And this is coming from a Glock fan.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

JB wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:58 pm I'm a fan of the all metal Sigs', 220, 228, 229, 232, etc, but never warmed up to their plastic and/or striker fired guns. And this is coming from a Glock fan.
JB -- I concur with you, I carried, qualified with, and shot a ton of 9mm through two Sig P320 Compacts for four years. They're a good gun, but I went back to Glock, and my LE Agency also went back to Glock as of this year. There were 4-things I didn't like about the Sig P320... there is no trigger safety on the trigger (like a Glock), so there is no resistance to keep it from going bang... The grip modular (replaceable grip frames) get scratched up easily... I did not like the high bore axis.. and even though the Fire Control Unit is easy to take out, it's not as easy to work on as a Glock... this is my lousy cranky back-east opinion--of course I am a unrepentant GLOCK FANBOY... :)