Marlin 57 22lr wont cycle and chamber rounds reliably.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 57 22lr wont cycle and chamber rounds reliably.

Post by spurgon »

The yellow magazine follower is crooked a bit.
The cartridge lifter doesn't push the rim of the shell high enough to line up for chambering .i oiled the internals best i could without disassembling .
I am guessing some springs may be weak but Numerige is out of stock.
Advise ?
Thx
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Marlin 57 22lr wont cycle and chamber rounds reliably.

Post by gamekeeper »

I would strip it down for a thorough clean, you will have to strip it anyway if springs require replacing. Springs from other Marlin models may fit, if you can compare them against one another.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You can try to make the springs, spring wire is available in coils. Just take it apart and look at how the originals are made, trial & error will produce usable springs. I have done this for old guns.
There used to be a guy down south that was a great source for Marlin parts, a search engine might turn up with many places to look, always easier to just replace than make! I'd also suggest if you find the springs buy 2 of each !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oil is very likely the problem!
Remove all oil. Old oil may of turned to gum from combustion materials.
I just cleaned my Marlin after 6 months of shooting.
No oil then and no oil now!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Nath wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 pm Oil is very likely the problem!
Remove all oil. Old oil may of turned to gum from combustion materials.
I just cleaned my Marlin after 6 months of shooting.
No oil then and no oil now!
+1
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Thx for the help.
I've located a disassembly pictorial guide for the 57. For the through cleaning should i use a "gun stripper" type agent to remove old oil build up ? Before reassembly should the parts be coated to prevent rust with anything such as Renaissance wax?
GunnyMack, since discontinued parts can be hard to find I had wondered about the possibility of making your own springs, but didnt know it would be possible. I'll do a search on how to go about doing that.
Spurgon
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

No, do not use a stripper. Those are used to remove wood or metal finishes. Use a degreaser or gun cleaner. Something like carburetor cleaner will work too. Once you get the old oil gunk off, reapply a light protective coating of gun oil before reassembly. I would wipe the exposed areas again before storage. In a pinch a general purpose gun clp will work but possibly to lessor effect. I particularly like G96 for this.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

spurgon wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:19 pm Thx for the help.
I've located a disassembly pictorial guide for the 57. For the through cleaning should i use a "gun stripper" type agent to remove old oil build up ? Before reassembly should the parts be coated to prevent rust with anything such as Renaissance wax?
GunnyMack, since discontinued parts can be hard to find I had wondered about the possibility of making your own springs, but didnt know it would be possible. I'll do a search on how to go about doing that.
Spurgon
Boiling hot water will soften/remove a lot of gunk. Then a stiff NYLON brush & WD40. And then see what else might need to be done. A lot of times a quick spray down of degreaser (I use auto motive but I am a tightwad) and you should be good to go. Reassemble and lightly lubricate.

Wm
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Please use brake cleaner not carb cleaner, carb cleaner will remove the finish off wood and bluing off metal.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Thanks to everyone for giving me the education I need in order to start my project.
Spurgon