NEW Colt Python

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

NEW Colt Python

Post by Bridger »

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-python-425

Anybody else excited about this? As soon as I find one it’s MINE! :D On the outside at least it looks just like the old ones. I know the action is different, but hopefully it feels like an old one also and lived up to the Python name. And also, maybe Colt can take back some market share from S&W. I feel like the fact that Colts don’t have that gay internal lock is a real feather in their cap.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: NEW Colt Python

Post by jdad »

This will probably bring the price down on the over inflated used market also. Retail will probably be about $1200. I also find it very tempting.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cool!
Whether I buy one or not, I want to see Colt do well.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I try to tell my buddies, whom half are after the $3-4000 Pythons to hold off as the prices are artifically inflated.....unless you really want one as money becomes irrelevant at that point.

But the prices will hold, not as high, but they will hold until we get a recession or some other calamity and hold pretty much the same way 1 st gen Colt single actions have held over the other gens.

It is nice to see Colt doing this.....but speculation, not use, will drive the market.

Looks like Old Win. has more pockets to sew inside the old buffalo coat, probably up the sleeves.--6

Hi Jay!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey good idea!

Ol' Six can buy one.
Then I'll get my coat on and go for a "visit". :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well ……… I have not bought a lotto ticket in a while. This is as good a reason to buy one as any other.

Wm
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Out of stock. :)
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Oly-Olson
Levergunner

Post by Oly-Olson »

This is such great news! And they changed the profile of the trigger which was one of my only beefs with the original! Really looking forward to obtaining a 6" when they are available. 👍🏻

Oly
Last edited by Oly-Olson on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Ken Hackathorn is a Raving review about the new ones.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I wish they would make it in blued steel. Colt blueing always seemed better than most
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

LOVE the blue on my 8in, it has killed a few turkeys :D a 6in would get more use and be much handier.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I don’t wanna be negative but I’m going to be ! I don’t want Colt “remakes” just like I don’t really want Jap Brownings or post 64 Winchester’s . Typically collectors don’t collect versions that aren’t the original version . And I collect/accumulate kinda the same reason I’ve never given in to buying a Parker Reproduction . Nice enough gun just NOT the real original thing . Along the same line as me deciding not to buy S&W’s that aren’t pinned and recessed .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I hear what you’re saying, but some of us want a Python we can carry and shoot the heck out of and not feel like we’re messing up an original. This one looks like an original, it’s a genuine Colt, it IS a Python, and factory service is readily available. If it shoots like a 1st gen, what’s not to like from a working gun perspective?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bridger wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:04 pm I hear what you’re saying, but some of us want a Python we can carry and shoot the heck out of and not feel like we’re messing up an original. This one looks like an original, it’s a genuine Colt, it IS a Python, and factory service is readily available. If it shoots like a 1st gen, what’s not to like from a working gun perspective?
I’d carry an original ! I carry my S&W 19-3 and 29-2 granted not the same cost but none the less ! I also hunt with my little Parker 28 and it cost more than what a pair of Pythons in decent shape go for . I buy some stuff a lot of folks wouldn’t buy and use , but everything I buy now I plan on using at some point .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's all about personal preference. I didn't like them back then and most likely won't now. To me the grip on a Colt is narrow and long. It just doesn't fit my hand the way a S&W does. I'm sure a lot of people will like them and I wish Colt good luck with them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:41 pm It's all about personal preference. I didn't like them back then and most likely won't now. To me the grip on a Colt is narrow and long. It just doesn't fit my hand the way a S&W does. I'm sure a lot of people will like them and I wish Colt good luck with them.
Colts feel okay in my hands I just never cared for their double action cylinder release . It’s backwards if you’re used to a Smith or even a Ruger . Just seems way more natural to me to push forward to release the cylinder over pulling back for a Colt .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:37 pmColts feel okay in my hands I just never cared for their double action cylinder release . It’s backwards if you’re used to a Smith or even a Ruger . Just seems way more natural to me to push forward to release the cylinder over pulling back for a Colt .
Ditto.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Had the opportunity to buy a Python from a co-worker back in about 1992. I passed. The price was what would now be a steal, but I did not like the way it felt. Uncomfortable to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Glad I still have my 1967 blued, 6", Python. That n 50 rnds of 38's n 50 of 357's, all for $175 out the door. I know, I know inflation, inflation, but what the heck ! It was my camping and woods packing sidearm for years until I went with a stainless 44 mag. Main thing was less worry about it in the winter with the stainless. Still has a soft spot in my heart for it. I was 16 and gave the money to my dad to buy it for me :mrgreen: Mowed a lot of lawns saving for it.

Soooo I am set for the Python thing
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Colt will NEVER be able to reproduce the original bluing for 2 reasons.

1. The polishing wheels used Walrus hide......unattainable now.

2. The bluing process they used is banned by the EPA.

Get over it. It's a great looking, easy to maintain, revolver for us shooters.

I've shot one of the new 3" King Cobras and it was awesome. Was the finish perfect? No, but the few, very minor, marks had nothing to do with the smooth action or accuracy.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I won't get rid of my 686, but I will probably have to get a new Python. Just because... :)
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Colt lost me the FIRST time they decided civilians weren't worthy of owning certain firearms.

My only 2 Colts are as old as I am, SAA.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

vancelw wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:24 am Colt lost me the FIRST time they decided civilians weren't worthy of owning certain firearms.

Colt could not compete with all the other manufacturers....they said that for political points....which don't mean schiesse
but I sure would like a python
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was about to get one of the King Cobras. Gonna wait until the production catches up with the demand for the Pythons. I had a 4" blued one years ago but sold it for a huge $ when they started getting pricey. REALLY hoping for a new Anaconda! I like the .357 but I'm a .44 guy. :D
I've been a Colt guy since I was a kid. Grew up shooting Match Targets, Officers Model Matches, 1911s / A1s and later the AR's . Just like every other MFG they have their ups and downs and weird issues but Colt will still be my favorite. Especially after my recent experience with a New S&W 610. Pathetic customer service.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

vancelw wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:24 am Colt lost me the FIRST time they decided civilians weren't worthy of owning certain firearms.

Then I assume you do not own any Rugers...Sturm Ruger and Co was one of the fiercest pushers of the GCA 1968 act. And Smith and Wesson caved in to Bill Clinton in the 90s so I assume you own no Smiths.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

coyote nose wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:54 pm

Then I assume you do not own any Rugers...Sturm Ruger and Co was one of the fiercest pushers of the GCA 1968 act. And Smith and Wesson caved in to Bill Clinton in the 90s so I assume you own no Smiths.
Well said Coyote Nose. I remember that well. Bill Ruger also was in favor of banning hi cap mags during Klinton's .Assault Weapons Ban."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Despite the strange feel of the grip, I wish now that I had known how much those guns were going to jump in value. I would have bought it and kept it as an investment.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You know what they say about assuming
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

vancelw wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:27 pm

HAHA yes I do! Then....you do own Smiths and Rugers? So why the double standard? Educate me.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

I sold my 6" python, actually traded, for several other pistols, insane amount of ammo, and some cash, a number of years ago.
Had received it to a settle a debt many years before. It did not seem to fit me, and the 6 " barrel just did not balance for me.
As stated by others, cylinder release was awkward, trigger pull was light but felt awkward to me, stacking I think it's called, so just wasn't for me.
Guess everybody is different, so the python allure isn't for me.
Wish Colt well with this endeavor, but who knows.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Wake me when they reissue the Diamondback in 22 Magnum or 32 Federal.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

coyote nose wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 am
vancelw wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:27 pm

HAHA yes I do! Then....you do own Smiths and Rugers? So why the double standard? Educate me.

It's not a double standard. Two entirely different subjects.
If I have to explain that to you. Lucy, you're too high maintenance.

You're assuming my Smiths are newer than 1968 for starters.

If you like Colts, buy some. And some Yeti from Dick's Sporting goods while you are at it.

I'll buy lunch or coffee if you really want to talk about it some day.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Ok vance, no hard feelings, it wasn't meant that way. Its just I get the anti Colt rant from a lot of people that look the other way with Ruger and Smith. Kind of like they are held to a different standard, which is something I dont get. And you are right...I DID assume you owned Smiths or Rugers post 1968. AND... I swore off Dicks Sporting Goods and refuse to own a YETI cooler. But I will take you up on the lunch offer if I ever get to Texas!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

coyote nose wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:25 pm Ok vance, no hard feelings, it wasn't meant that way. Its just I get the anti Colt rant from a lot of people that look the other way with Ruger and Smith. Kind of like they are held to a different standard, which is something I dont get. And you are right...I DID assume you owned Smiths or Rugers post 1968. AND... I swore off Dicks Sporting Goods and refuse to own a YETI cooler. But I will take you up on the lunch offer if I ever get to Texas!
The offer is genuine.

Had a co-worker today tell me he was going to buy a gun from Atwood's but his Atwood's credit card wouldn't let him buy firearms :? I told him I'd find a new credit card company and probably a new place to buy a gun.

My issue with Colt is identical to my problem with Yeti.
Their announcement was purely political.
Colt did this once before and then started selling ARs to civilians again when the spotlight was off (and saw the sales they were losing). I'm an LEO and I have huge issues with the "only LEO's should have guns" crowd.