A pair of Winchester Model 12s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

A pair of Winchester Model 12s

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorting through my dad's stuff after the break in a couple of weeks ago. Came across my grandfather's Model 12 and made me sit and reflect a bit. The one in the top of the picture is the one my dad gave when I was about twelve. He had started taking me rabbit hunting a year or two earlier to the family farm but I just wasn't connecting with the old single shot .410 ga. The first time out with the Winchester was like magic and filled my bag to the limit! The top one is mine and the other was my grandfathers. Both 20 gage and full choke. I'd never noticed the difference in the stocks before but have a suspicion that mine was replaced. Not that I care or would ever give them up. Lots of good memories go along with these two. Gonna have to go shooting soon. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: A pair of Winchester Model 12s

Post by Old Savage »

Classics! The stock and fore end seem to be a match on the top. This was their basic gun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It was. My grandfather was all about utility. He was very serious about things that were working tools. His carry piece was a surplus 1911A1, hunting rifles were sporterized 03's and Arisakas. Most he ever spent on himself was on his Winchesters. Model 70s, a 63 and the Model 12s. He left my grandmother a very wealthy lady, just part of that generation. He was too old by the time WWII broke out, but I'd bet he would have done some real Whoop --z! He was not a man to be trifled with.

jb

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of the reasons you likely did so well first day out with the 20 gauge was all the precision shooting you had had to do when you were using the 410 bore...!

Like so many things, to someone at a garage-sale or auction, those are "just a couple old guns", yet they embody precious memories. Good to see things like that appreciated; be sure you make memories with some young'un yourself and hand them down another generation.

One of the things that even 'primitive' cultures often do well is pass along ceremonial or meaningful objects; sometimes just a pebble from a certain place might have a 'spirit' or memory it brings to life for the one who is its keeper.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Let's see, we have a several model 12s around here. A 12, two 16s and a 20. The 12 has been refinished and the 16s belonged to my father and father-in-law. The 20 belonged to one of my sons, it has a vent rib, Cutt's Compensator and a couple of changeable chokes. I am a great fan of the model 12 and it is my primary tool for repelling boarders as it's magazine holds 6 rounds. Faster than an automatic too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice guns jb and memories. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I have the same Model 12, 20 gauge as you (the top gun). It was my father's, and before him, my grandfather's gun.
Serial number says it was made in 1916, 25" factory barrel, full choke. I had the choke opened up a bit for grouse hunting about 30 years ago.
Can carry this gun all day, any distance.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My first real shotgun after carrying the old Iver Johnson .410 single shot was a used-hard Model 12 in 16 gauge. I loved that thing. Choke was modified.
When you start out with the fast, smooth Model 12 action, you are spoiled for life.
Wonderful shotguns, Jason.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys! They are hard to beat, I have a couple of other shotguns, a '97, 870 and a Remington Model 11R but they are all short barreled Riot type guns. The Model 12 has always been my go to for small game. Like you guys have said; it's fast and light. Points like a laser and has never failed to feed or eject a shell. I've had a couple of autos but I just don't shoot them as well as the pump actions.

Still sorting through the old man's stuff. He's going to have me keep the family guns and a couple others. We will probably be putting up quite a bit of stuff for sale when he gets home in the spring. Mostly Enfields and Nagants. Going to keep the Springfields, 1911s, Webleys and the Broomhandles. 8)

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

"Enfields and Nagants," he says. ... 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:27 pm "Enfields and Nagants," he says. ... 8)
:lol: :lol:

We bought this stuff back when they were going for $50-$100 a piece. Wish we'd kept the crate of SVT-40s!! :D
I'm keeping the Finn Marked C-96 and the RAF 1911 & 1917 Smith. :D

jb 8)

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Very nice. a Model 12 in 20 gauge us on my hoping for, short list.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I bought a mdl 12 riot gun earlier this year, but it's seen some hard service, extracts well, but at higher speeds doesn't eject so well. It's at the gun doc now... hopefully he has some magic to fix the ol gal!

I still believe the 870 is the smoothest pump I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. The fact that the one I have only cost $11 has something to do with that assessment!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

My first Model 12 was a 16 gauge with a polychoke on it. I gave that to my younger brother when my dad gave me his 16 gauge with a matted rib barrel. I picked up a 12 gauge in my college years that kept my freezer full of pheasants for many years. Then, a few years ago, I bought a 20 gauge with a 4 digit serial number. I took it off the rack and took the barrel off and the bolt fell into the receiver. The owner asked me if I wanted a project gun and I said it depends on the price. I almost dislocated my arm reaching for my wallet when he said, how about $150? A $15 part solved the issue with the bolt and its now a designated grouse killer!
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Lovely guns and lovely memories!

Got a 12g Model 12 heavy duck myself.

Scrummy