Reloading Mini Shells?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Reloading Mini Shells?

Post by Rusty »

I've been looking st the 1.75" Mini shells made first by Aguila, then Federal, and now I see a third company sold by Brownells. I was wondering if anyone has tried to reload these short shells?
Thanks,
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading Mini Shells?

Post by GunnyMack »

No but as I was looking through the latest Ballistic Products I noticed they have an adapter for a press to make 2" , think it's for a MEC.
At the bunker this summer a few of the guys were trying the Agulia 2&3/4 Ammo. All seemed to really like it, as the temperature started to fall there were some POOF,POP under pressure sounds from the Agulia. A little investigation and the powder used is not liking cold weather.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

With a roll crimper, drill press and OS cards you can load a very short shell. I loaded them for my son to use in 3 gun shoots, OAL, IIRC, was 1.5".

BB
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Pulling this from the misty and dusty part of my mind but …… IIRC there is press made by RCBS for the 50 BMG cartridge (and similar) and they (or someone else) offered a kit for reloading 12 gauge rounds that allowed anything from the super short 1.5" up to the 3.5 super mags. I can't recall more then that. Maybe a short inquiry to RCBS would help.

Wm

I like the super shot shells but find they don't reliably work in my pump shot guns (870s and 500s). In my coach gun and in single shots they offer some versatility …… have not tried them in recently acquired bolt action shotguns. That will be something I will have to try this spring.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wm I saw there is a conversion part out there for the 500 series shotguns. Was very reasonable too.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For anyone that's interested here is the adapter for the Mossberg 500 and 590 that will allow them to shoot the mini shells.
https://opsolmini-clip.com/

I would only order them from the manufacturer themselves of from Brownells. Some people have ordered them from Amazon but there are reports that the ones that come from Amazon are Chinese knock offs.

Thanks guys for the help. Mossberg is making a Shockwave with wood instead of synthetic that is really sharp looking. They call it the NIGHTSTICK.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Mini short kit for MEC loader now on sale at Ballistic Products, $35 & change. Says it does 1 &7/8" shells.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I've shot quite a few of the short aguilla slugs and 7/8 oz. #7 1/2s.......

After firing they look like the right length to load with a squared black powder load without a crimp but with an overshot card glued for the shorter chambered, damascus barreled older guns.....
m.A.g.a. !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ray wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:00 pm I've shot quite a few of the short aguilla slugs and 7/8 oz. #7 1/2s.......

After firing they look like the right length to load with a squared black powder load without a crimp but with an overshot card glued for the shorter chambered, damascus barreled older guns.....
Hmmm, that sounds interesting.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

From Ballistic Products
Screenshot_20200103-184955_Samsung Internet.jpg
Now you have a recipe to try !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:21 am Thanks guys for the help. Mossberg is making a Shockwave with wood instead of synthetic that is really sharp looking. They call it the NIGHTSTICK.
I've been thinking hard about that one. Combine it with the adapter, and it would be a hoot! :D