HELP! win 94 mag cap plug screw length

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

HELP! win 94 mag cap plug screw length

Post by FLINT »

I shortened the mag tube on a 30-30 rifle I acquired.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75688

very happy with it. until tonight when I drilled the new hole in the barrel for the magazine plug screw to extend in to, to keep the tube from flying away.

it "turns" out that the screw is now too short. The magazine tube is held by the forearm and forearm cap so that when full length, the end of the tube is pretty close to the barrel. but closer to the forearm, the magazine is not as close to the barrel. the gap between the tube and the barrel is just enough that the pin just barely barely starts into it, so that I can't pull the tube straight up out of the forearm, but if I twist the tube to the side, the pin will turn right out of the hole.

so, do they make a longer plug screw? does anyone know if they are all the same length? the one I have is 3/4" long (.747 to be exact). I don't need it to be much longer, just another fraction of an inch to get it in the hole enough that it can't come out.

thanks for any help!!!!!!! I'm SOOO close to finishing this project. SOOOOO close!!!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: HELP! win 94 mag cap plug screw length

Post by FLINT »

nevermind. I was able to get it.

my hardware store miraculously had a 1" screw of the correct thread pitch - which by the way if anyone ever finds this post on a search - is 8-36 for a post 64.

I was able to cut the screw down with a hacksaw and then grind the end down with a bench grinder and it works just fine. I buggered up the first one on the grinder, but the second try was a winner.

success
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: HELP! win 94 mag cap plug screw length

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad you got it fixed, love to see photos of the completed job..... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.