Have you been SWATTED?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Have you been SWATTED?

Post by wm »

Swatting is calling 911 on someone and saying they are perpetrating a violent act so as to incite local LEOs to respond in force, expecting to find a violent individual. People doing this often hope to get someone hurt or killed for kicks or to settle some grudge. People with a CPL are and have been particularly targeted. Sometimes it is just someone over reacting to a brief reveal of a otherwise concealed pistol but sometimes it is just someone who wants to embarrass (or worse) someone they resent who has a CPL.

It happened to me. It is unpleasant.

Anyway Law Enforcement is recognizing the problem and making changes to procedures to try and stave off unfortunate events. I just want to applaud those efforts. It might be worth sharing this article with your local sheriff or police chief or 911 dispatch manager.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/trolls ... k-n1105991

Wm
Last edited by wm on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Have you been SWATTED?

Post by Beaker »

Yep, A very famous swatting case occurred in WIchita when a home was "Swatted" and police arrived and shot and killed an innocent person by mistake. Calling 911 is a very serious matter and is not to be made light of. By the very nature of the call police must take the call very seriously and act accordingly. So called "swatting" is very dangerous and can, and was in this case, very lethal. :(
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a couple of insurance claims that have involved this. Really stupid stuff. So far it's just been a couple of kicked in doors, but it could have gone horribly wrong. People suck!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wonder what percent of these are done by the so-called "liberal" element.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:26 pm I wonder what percent of these are done by the so-called "liberal" element.... :|
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:26 pm I wonder what percent of these are done by the so-called "liberal" element.... :|
It varies. Some are motivated by politics but most of the time it is a more personal grudge.

Wm
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Slightly off topic but enough in the same vein as to not be an outright thread highjack.....

Many years ago in my county's second largest city, the then new sonic drive-in shared a common parking lot with a strip mall of nearly all video arcades. They closed one by one as trends changed but the one that lingered was managed/clerked by a husband and wife with an autistic daughter who was non-verbal in a conversational sense but could parrot common phases. One of her favourite sayings was to scream,
"He's got a gun !" , over and over like a stuck record. Another was a frantic, "He touched me !" . It was later supposed that she had heard these things on police and private detective dramas on the telly.....

There was always a good chance that a man passing by either on foot or in a vehicle would be reported until the news finally got out about the situation. It was said that there were a quite a few unnecessary arrests and, if the rumors from the era were true, at least one innocent victim shot by city police.

As "they" say, often truth is stranger than fiction.....
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I heard about the Wichita case. Has not happened to anyone I know. In nearby Ft. Worth, a woman got shot and killed when she and her nephew were playing video games late at night and had the doors and windows of the house open. A neighbor got up early and noticed the open front door. He called the Police to check it out. They came, parked several houses away, and quietly checked out the house. The owner heard something, got her gun, went to the window to look out, and was killed. The Senior officer stated that the rookie never identified himself, never said anything, never used his flashlight. He is now on trial. Dallas had not hired him for his tunnel vision reaction to stress during his failed academy time there. Use caution. It is a dangerous world, and not all of those who are supposed to be watching out for us are the right type of people for the job. That statement can fit a bunch of situations.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Never had it happen to me, but I'm extremely anal about making sure my carry gun is never seen. Not even a bulge that could reveal I'm carrying.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Unpleasant at best, fatal at worst.

I can personally affirm that it is HIGHLY unpleasant to have the police show up to investigate
an unfounded accusation. NOT a good time.....

Stretch
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

The new name is Red Flagged.
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.