Interesting article on 351 WSL ...... thought others here would find it interesting as well

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Interesting article on 351 WSL ...... thought others here would find it interesting as well

Post by wm »

https://gunworld.com/guns/winchester-35 ... rol-rifle/

My nephew has come to know an old couple doing some work on their appliances and house. Tomorrow he and I are going over to run a new electrical line for their kitchen to service a new electric oven, replace storm door, fix garage door, probably a few other small items. Any case the old gentlemen who is dying (cancer) has a rifle he wanted to trade to my nephew for the work he's done for them. Nephew isn't interested but thought I might. It is a Winchester 351 that he bought used just before WW2 (old gent was a salty merchant marine 1940 to 1948 before returning to Michigan to work great lakes fleet. Ended his work days as a boiler repairman.) from the bank who had the note on the family farm. I think he may have bought it from a bank employee but who knows …… maybe they took it in as collateral on a loan. Times were different then.

Anyway, doing a little research and found this article.

Wm
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Interesting article on 351 WSL ...... thought others here would find it interesting as well

Post by DocRock »

Pretty much the "legend" on which the 350 Legend is based.

Super cool rifle. Brass and bullet selection will be severely limited, an important consideration.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting article on 351 WSL ...... thought others here would find it interesting as well

Post by Bill in Oregon »

WM, I had one of these and the brass was made from .357 Maximum. Think I got it from Buffalo Arms. It was a lot of fun to experience shooting that Winchester oddball. Wish I still had it.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

The article mentions the use of the 1907 in a military, full auto role. Did some research and these were used by the British & French in WW1 by observers in balloons and in aircraft to defend themselves against fighters. The idea of a quick blast 9f 20 rounds was about as much as deterrence as they could muster at the time. Semi auto versions were issued to motorcycle couriers, guards, etc.

The Russians also purchased them.

I thought that was interesting. I wonder if the French, Brits, or Russians loaded rounds for it or just bought cartridges from Winchester. I wonder if there is a case or two of nearly new 1907's in the back of some Russian warehouse since revolution for the want of ammo? Wouldn't that be something.

Wm
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

One interesting note about the .351 Winchester Self Loading cartridge. (I have two Winchester Model 1907 SL's by the way. I bought my first one from a member of this Leverguns forum.)

Some very early M1 Carbines were chambered in .351 WSL. These .351 M1 Carbines are extremely hard to find as there were very few made. And while the .351 WSL cartridge is often panned as being under powered for deer hunting, it would have been a more powerful alternative than the .30 Carbine ultimately chosen for the M1 Carbine.

Personally, and a bit selfishly, I wish they had stuck with the .351 WSL for the M1 Carbine. That would have resulted in the .351 WSL cartridge being a lot more available today.

And, there is nothing wrong with the .351 Winchester Self Loading cartridge for deer hunting when the target is 100 yards or less. I have personally taken two bucks with a Winchester Model 1907 rifle. Don't pass on any opportunity you might get to shoot one. Very unique feeling with that big sliding breechblock weight in the forearm.

I have the proper die and reload my .351 Winchester Self Loading cartridges. As the case is straight walled, they can be reused easily. The trick is finding true .351 bullets.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams