A New Bullet For the 480 Achilles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

A New Bullet For the 480 Achilles

Post by JimT »

My friend John Killebrew (KDM LLC) has designed a new bullet for the 480 Achilles. He was kind enough to send me about 10 pounds of them!
IMG_0545.JPG
The bullet has a large meplat, deep grease grooves and a crimp groove in the heel. The meplat is not quite as large as the original Bittner bullet but it is plenty large and will work just fine on game. The original bullet has pretty shallow grease grooves and does not have the crimp groove in the heel.
IMG_0552.JPG
Left = the Bittner bullet Right = the Killebrew bullet
IMG_0550.JPG
The 3 bullets we have for the 480 Achilles .. Left = Bittner bullet, Center = Huffaker bullet (Round Nose, Hollow Base, Heel with crimp groove), Right = Killebrew bullet
All 3 run right around 290 grains.

Standard loads run between 750 fps to 900 fps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A New Bullet For the 480 Achilles

Post by GunnyMack »

That looks like the best of both worlds! Curious to see how well they shoot.

Does KDM LLC make moulds ? If so does he have a website?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:46 pm Does KDM LLC make moulds ? If so does he have a website?
No. He makes suppressors and suppressed firearms ... like the Ruger 10 22 with a built in suppressor .. etc,

http://kdmcans.com/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah gotcha!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Small world.....

I picked up about 3 dozen .480 bullets of various head stamps yesterday at the range.....

7/8" lengths of 1/2" glue sticks to tie the case and bullet together, primer of choice, and 4gr. unique.

Jim, you're the only person reading this who will understand. After all, I got the idea from you.

When I get a chance I'll post a photo for everybody else.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ray wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:06 pm Small world.....

I picked up about 3 dozen .480 bullets of various head stamps yesterday at the range.....

7/8" lengths of 1/2" glue sticks to tie the case and bullet together, primer of choice, and 4gr. unique.

Jim, you're the only person reading this who will understand. After all, I got the idea from you.

I gotta go on Ammoguide.com and see what cartridge cases have a 0.480" rim diameter.... :wink:
AmmoGuide Cartridge Search Tool.png
....am I close....???? :wink:

I really like AmmoGuide.... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:06 pm Small world.....

Sounds like fun!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Yes, those are viable, loaded .480 achilles cartridges.....

Cylinder is currently loaded with .490"s squeezed in from the front & propelled by blanks of 20gr. fff....
IMG_20191221_064849_kindlephoto-260475893.jpg
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have shot a lot of 45 ACP cartridges as bullets .. but in the .475 Linebaugh. Never have loaded them in the 480 ... though you have given me some ideas. Your solution to be able to load them base first is a good one.
loaded.jpg
.475 Linebaugh with .45 ACP "bullet" .. velocity on these was about 1700 fps.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This .480 Achilles business sure is intriguing! Jim, have you had a chance to shoot the Killebrew slug yet?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:35 am This .480 Achilles business sure is intriguing! Jim, have you had a chance to shoot the Killebrew slug yet?
No sir. Just received them yesterday. The weather is cold and rainy. In my old age I have become a Fair Weather Shooter. When I was younger I would've been out there!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I remember reading of the 480A years ago Jim. Never forgot it. 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

JimT wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:37 am I have shot a lot of 45 ACP cartridges as bullets .. but in the .475 Linebaugh. Never have loaded them in the 480 ... though you have given me some ideas. Your solution to be able to load them base first is a good one.
The 1/2" glue stick is just a nominal size. They fit readily into a .45 case. A .440" ball glued into the bottom of the acp case and a length of glue stick to tie the two cases together gives you approximately 128gr. + 90gr. + the weight of the glue stick.....

The cartridges shown in the above photo are tied together with a 230gr. lead bullet and a bit of glue.....if memory serves, 12 to 13gr. 2400.....
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

B.T.W. The brass i started with was magtech with a heavy cannelure. I had no choice where to cut so my achilles brass is a bit short. You might have to trim something with a mind to o.a.l. Or use g.a.p. brass for bullets :lol:
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:24 pm B.T.W. The brass i started with was magtech with a heavy cannelure. I had no choice where to cut so my achilles brass is a bit short. You might have to trim something with a mind to o.a.l. Or use g.a.p. brass for bullets :lol:
I made some brass from .45 Schofield cases, only to realize later they require a different size shell holder!

We made bullets early on by bumping up 45 bullets and by turning down 50 caliber bullets. They shot. Nothing to write home about but it proved the gun would work..