"Duty gun": Glock 19X or 1911?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

"Duty gun": Glock 19X or 1911?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Interviewing in a few for a part-time range officer job at our county shooting range. If I am selected, I'll wear a uniform and carry a handgun, more as a "badge of authority" than for LEO use. I have no LEO training, just concealed carry and live fire. That said, I like 1911s, but admit the Glock 19X possesses a lot of strengths and fits my hand very well.
Any thoughts from the gang here?
Wish this old guy some luck, please.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Duty gun": Glock 19X or 1911?

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm sure I'm going to catch some flack from Glock owners, but I dislike Glocks. I'd go the 1911 route every time given this choice. But if my options were totally open I'd also carry my old S&W Model 59 in 9mm.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks, Vall. I have been a 1911 fan since first discovering Jeff Cooper as a teenager, and I have the muscle memory ingrained. I have had a number of Glocks over the years as well and liked them for what they were, but they never quite captured my heart like Browning's masterpiece. But I have to leaven this decision with a large measure of practicality and there is no getting around Glock reliability or capacity.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sounds like a BBQ-Worthy 1911 job...in a wonderfully tooled holster. 8) Make George S. Patton wish he had one just like it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, amigo, I am unfortunately on a retiree's beer budget ... :cry: :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good luck with the Range Officer job Bill, sorry can't help with your choice of sidearm .
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I’m not sure why you are limiting yourself. Carry ‘em all. Range officers get to shoot too at the ranges I’m familiar with.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:48 am Blaine, amigo, I am unfortunately on a retiree's beer budget ... :cry: :lol:
Ah....HighPoint it is, then :P :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have nothing against Glocks. I own a 19 and 21sf.
However, the 1911 is more than the sum of it's parts and I own a bunch of em.
I'm thinking a nice blued 1911 or Commander with a nice set of stags in a Milt Sparks SS (my particular carry).
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I walked into the General Store/Restaurant here at the little crossroads town of Weir, Texas the other day. A policeman was sitting at a table having lunch. No big deal .. lots of cops stop by here to eat. What stuck out and was noticeable immediately was the cocked and locked 1911 he was wearing. It just advertised itself somehow. The other cops carried Glocks and looked professional and proficient. But that 1911 just absolutely stood out.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I was parked in a cul-de-sac in a Mexican barrio, munching some chips and waiting for a call, when someone pulled up across the street, got out of the car with a sheaf of papers in his left hand. He was plainly dressed and appeared to be referring to the papers to select the address where he was headed. On his strong side in a leather holster was a nickel 1911 with what appeared to be bone grips, or a reasonable facimile. A BBQ gun if I'd ever seen one.

I exited the dead end slowly before the door opened . . .
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Show them you're no beginner, wear a smith model 27 or a model 19. :D
Last edited by 4t5 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My choice would be 'the best of both' - a 1911 in 45 ACP, but with the capacity of a Glock 9mm. The grip-girth of a double-stack 1911 is only 3/16 of an inch larger, and unless your fingers are unusually short, you will likely find the grip MORE comfortable than a regular 1911. You did say the Glock fits your hand well, so perhaps that is the case, but just try both and see.

Either can be very reliable, and either should be 'vetted' with a few hundred no-issue rounds fired before 'duty'.

Either 45 ACP or 9mm will stop a bad guy, although ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL in terms of shot placement, bullet type, followup shots, and so on, the 45 will have the edge.

I would go with whatever best fits your hand (close eyes and pick up an unloaded gun hastily and bring to 'shooting stance' then open your eyes - if sights are aligned, you have a great fit). If both fit, either choose the best compromise between the greater stopping power of the 1911/45 or the higher capacity of the Glock/9mm, OR DON'T COMPROMISE AT ALL, and go for a 14 to 18 round 1911 in 45 ACP.

My thirty something year old ParaOrdnance P-14 has fed well over 1,000 rounds of Golden Saber hollow points without an issue, so I would definitely depend on it in a crisis.

If you want something more compact, there are "Officer Model" 1911's available in doublestack mode as well - they are 'Officer Model' size, but hold 12 rounds.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

4t5 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:27 pm Show them you're no beginner, wear a smith model 27 or a model 19. :D
I like that reply

Wm
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There's a 3rd Gen G19 on my nightstand with a Streamlight attached to the rail and a Tuffgrip sleeve. It was my IDPA pistol for years and I won several matches locally with it. If something is about to go down, its the gun to do it.
But! I think if I were to be doing that job for more fun than just defensive purposes I'd be packin' something a bit different, but still capable of what it may be needed for. As much as I love 1911s, this one is always my go to. :D Can't go wrong with a .44 Magnum! :D :D

If you really want to make a statement, throw a big old Bowie knife on the other side and lean a .45-70 up against a post. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Your question is already answered by: Springfield Armory's "Range Officer"!

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

1911, 1911, 1911, etc. If you're only after capacity from the Glock there are double stack 1911s. Heck, Rock Island is making them now so they are cheap! And the RIAs I've had the last few years have been very good after I replaced the recoil springs in them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I love the 1911 and I have shot one extensively in IPSC and IDPA, even NRA Bullseye and carried a Lightweight Commander for many years as my usual go to carry gun in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. But I have also carried and shot the Glock's a lot, mostly the 40 caliber G22 but also the G17 and G19, mostly I prefer the G22 first, and the G17 second, with the G19 a distant 3rd.

But, I have in the last year or so, shot and handled the 19X, some, and found it to be very good and would choose it over a regular 19 any day. I own several other Glocks, but my next Glock purchase if I ever buy another one, would be the 19X because it's just pretty darned good, and I like the full length grip of the 17 over the shorter 19 grip, and the new 19X (unless they have come out with another version) has very good steel night sights on it from the factory.

If you are going to be range officer, over cops, then I would probably consider the 19X, but then again, a nice 1911, looks great in the holster, and is still yet no slouch when it comes to getting the job done, although in a 5 inch steel gun, it's heavy, one reason I love the Lightweight Commander so much for CCW.
NRA Life Member, Patron
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a friend who is a firearms instructor for the local sheriff's office. He jokes that "A Glock is the safest pistol you'll ever accidentally shoot yourself with." He's got records of numerous accidental discharges by officers, and fortunately not many involved the officer shooting himself or anyone else. But the fact is they all could have been avoided if the officer's Glock had a external safety built into the design, or they kept their finger off the trigger. Still it's a common issue among agencies all across the USA for accidental discharges among those who chose to issue Glock handguns.
It's funny that he told me his agency only allows 1911 as carry guns if the officer passes testing using a 1911. Those who do so have had no accidental discharges while carrying their 1911 style handguns.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Griff wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 pm Your question is already answered by: Springfield Armory's "Range Officer"!
I'm a big revolver fan, but I have shot one of those Range Officer's in 9 mm at a local indoor range. It was the most accurate handgun I've ever shot; certainly more so than any of the other 9's I've tried. I'll keep my .38, though.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 pm Your question is already answered by: Springfield Armory's "Range Officer"!

I have one of those in 9mm. I'd say they were about flawless. The Mags are a real PITA, so a good mag loader...I have Uplula...is in order unless you have a steel thumb.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a couple of Rock Island pistols. Inexpensive and very reliable. The 1911A1 type does not like certain varieties of ammunition, but I have found that mine likes Hornady Critical Defense. Might be better ammunition around, but it is good, accurate, and feeds and ejects reliably. No complaint from me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lots to "chaw on" here gents. Gracias for sharing your thoughts.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I am an unrepentant Glock fanboy and long time end-user. My Agency allows for Glocks and Sig P320's, but since you will be a range-officer I would go with the 1911, because the young LEO's that you will encounter will be impressed with something different... :)

PS -- and if they become curious to why you carry a 1911 in .45ACP, unload your 1911, keep the slide back, ask for one of their service rounds (9mm or .40S&W), and show them how their round falls right through the .45-caliber barrel...then look them in the eye and tell them that this is why you carry a 1911. I saw this once, really cracked me up.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’m pretty fickle. I’d do what I do now for concealed carry. Open the safe in the morning and take what strikes my fancy. Change is fun and interesting.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When the weather is cool enough to cover it, or when it doesn't matter if it shows. I carry my Colt Commercial .45 in this SD Myres basket weave holster.