Montana...Wyoming....bound

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Montana...Wyoming....bound

Post by RIHMFIRE »

After 40 years of trying, next year I am going to Montana and Wyoming...and then to Leavenworth, Washington
and I need some advise on where to go and stay around Yellowstone. Thanks
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Montana...Wyoming....bound

Post by HawkCreek »

The town of West Yellowstone is for tourists. Expect to pay less the farther from the park you get. If you get over to Emmigrant, MT be sure to stop by Follow Yer Nose BBQ. Best I've ever tasted by a long shot.
Leavenworth isnt far from where I grew up. Expect to be paying extra for nearly everything there as well. Wenatchee isnt that far no will be cheaper. Not sure of your accommodations though, maybe you've got all that worked out.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:56 pm After 40 years of trying, next year I am going to Montana and Wyoming...and then to Leavenworth, Washington
My son and I went through Idaho and Montana and Wyoming but only went to Wilderness Areas....no Parks.....less (no) people, just wildlife and scenery.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The drive from Doboise around to Thermopolis was amazing. The Beartooth was amazing also. The five Cody museums are not to be missed.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd be careful going out there I see pictures all the time. The trees have dandruff.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:56 pm After 40 years of trying, next year I am going to Montana and Wyoming...and then to Leavenworth, Washington
When you get to Leavenworth, you will be about 20 minutes from one of the best BBQ places I've ever been. I try to make the 200 miles trip over two passes to eat there every month or so when the passes are clear.

http://www.countryboysbbq.com/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Holy cow....I did not know dude ranches were so expensive...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great travels Rihmfire have a good time, wish i was going. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Tycer wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:43 pm The drive from Doboise around to Thermopolis was amazing. The Beartooth was amazing also. The five Cody museums are not to be missed.
+1 on the Cody Museums, they are a must see!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

It's been a long time but I spent a couple of nights in Cook City Montana and found it reasonable and OK.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When visiting Yellowstone I'd try to stay in Cody, Wy. and add the Cody Museum to my list. But be sure to make reservations for a motel early as it's tough to get a motel if you don't book 4-6 months ahead of the trip. Same thing for Leavenworth. Either stay in Winatchee, or Ellensburg, or make reservations in Leavenworth at least 6 months ahead.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

By all means, stay in Cody and make whatever side trips you want. Try to figure at LEAST two days for the museums, firearms museum alone takes a full day and then some. Try to get reservations for Buffalo Bill's old hotel, the Irma, dates back to the 1880's. Call ahead months ahead for reservations , Cody is a busy place. You might want to consider doing your trip in mid September, all the tourist kids are back home in school, tourists are back to work for the most part, much more pleasant experience IMHO.

Keep in mind, there is WAY too much to see and too many places to go to do it all in one trip, or even half of it. Far better to pick one area like the Cody area and spend some time relaxing and enjoying the attractions there than to frantically try to drive from one place to another, spending half your vacation staring at a highway in front of you and making yourself a nervous wreck. Many people, especially from the Eastern states, have no idea of the distances between stops out West, it can be a LONG WAY between point A and point B. Slow down and smell the roses.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Cody is a good spot for sure---has a place in my heart. If you are looking at dude ranches close to Cody, try Bill Cody's Ranch, Streamside, UXU, Crossed Sabers, Absaroka Lodge or Pahaska Tepee----all are on the North Fork of the Shoshone River on the way to the East Gate of Yellowstone. All within 30 or so minutes drive from the East Gate and all within a 50 minute drive from Cody. Lots of nice Air BNB in Cody and also lots of independent BNB's. If you are coming through Cody and need phone numbers, contacts, help or a burger, PM me.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rusty wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 amI'd be careful going out there I see pictures all the time. The trees have dandruff.
THIS!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If you go to Cody, https://www.yellowstonepicnicbaskets.com/ does awesome food. Huge portions. She’ll take care of food for the whole week if ya want. We ate her food for three days and wanted more. Our fishing guide buys their lunches from her.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

FYI, check with your doc about any meds you may be taking, high altitudes really mess with some meds especially blood pressure.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

harry wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:23 pm FYI, check with your doc about any meds you may be taking, high altitudes really mess with some meds especially blood pressure.
Harry, I went all the way up Pikes Peak last fall. Made me almost pass out. I felt like PooPoo for weeks afterward......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Cody is a must, I would recommend you time your trip through Cody the weekend of July 10-12. They have their annual WACA and Sharps gun show that weekend. You will be able to see, handle and even buy guns as nice as they have in the Cody museum.

Once you are that close to the Custer Battlefield, you should make a point to stop there. The history of that battlefield comes right out of the ground when you walk it. No other battle has had more books written about and Custer himself, than that battle in June in 1876...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great advise guys...many thanks....
Yup..... Cody is on the list.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Best wishes for safe travels. And a trip report upon return home.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Near Yellowstone, a group of us several years ago stayed at the Hatchet Resort on US-26 east of Moran. It's not far from either Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons and is an older place which wasn't too expensive, at least not in late September. West Yellowstone and Jackson Hole are tourist traps. I've not been to Cody, but it sounds as if I need to try one day.