Ruger Vaquero- are my eyes playing tricks on me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger Vaquero- are my eyes playing tricks on me

Post by 3t- »

Toying with getting a older vaquero in 7.5 and ran across this listing. Did Ruger make left side loading vaqueros or are my eyes going bad... :o

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847333535
regards

3T
JimT
Shootist

Re: Ruger Vaquero- are my eyes playing tricks on me

Post by JimT »

Since the writing on the barrel is backwards I would say that the photo got reversed. :D
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Thanks Jim, I figured it must be some optical thing, just caught me by surprise.
regards

3T
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Could be Billy the Kids gun. . . . . . :o
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hmmmmmm..... interesting thought though - did ANYBODY ever make a left-side-loading single-action (or for that matter a swing-out that opens on the right side)...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:36 pm Hmmmmmm..... interesting thought though - did ANYBODY ever make a left-side-loading single-action (or for that matter a swing-out that opens on the right side)...???
Left side Single Actions were made by Texas Longhorn Arms ... Absolutely beautiful, perfectly fitted firearms. Bill Grover was a real artist.

Here's a couple ..
West Texas Target Flattop
West Texas Target Flattop.jpg
This was my gun. I sold it before I moved to Africa.

Grover's Improved #5
Grover's Improved #5.jpg
ADDED: A good friend .. Stephen Webb .. has written a book about Texas Longhorn Arms ... It and other information is listed on; http://www.tlabook.com/
If you look close you will see a photo of me with the TLA sixgun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's interesting. Makes sense though, and in these days of manufacturing, mirror-imaging parts isn't all that difficult.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I remember when the Texas Longhorn guns were first getting some press. Seems Bill Grover figured Sam Colt must have been a lefty, thus designed his gun to be loaded without shifting it from his shooting hand. Grover decided it was time to make one for right-handers! :D

I've always wanted a No. 5.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Pisgah wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:46 pm I've always wanted a No. 5.
They are nice! Last one I saw sold .. some years back ... went for over 3 grand!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Beautiful guns. I wonder if someone could manufacture them with current methods and have them at a reasonable cost and still make enough money to stay in business. A single action with the loading gate on the left would have my interest. My little CHEAP-APPA Chiappa in .17 HMR is a fun little six shooter when it decides to work. The cylinder pin likes to work itself backward and block the hammer. I keep it for just messing around. It is surprisingly accurate, but it likes to lock up and must be messed with to un-jam it. It was less than $150 on sale, and that was probably too much for that level of quality. My Rugers are all totally reliable and the Super Redhawk was the most expensive. For the price level of a Ruger or a Smith & Wesson it would probably sell fast.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:19 am Beautiful guns. I wonder if someone could manufacture them with current methods and have them at a reasonable cost and still make enough money to stay in business.
I rather doubt it.
The hammer and trigger screws are all "Blind" screws ... don't come through on the opposite side.
On the guns I have handled all the screw slots lined up in the same direction and fit perfectly.
Tolerances were extremely tight and consistent.
The grips were very well finished and fitted.
Polishing and blueing were amazing as was the color case hardening on the guns that had it.
It all points to a lot of hand-fitting.

Ruger could tool up and make theirs left-handed and do it a lot cheaper of course. And it would be a good gun. But not the quality of the hand-fitted gun. And that's one reason extra fine quality guns are not much around any more. Most folks cannot afford them.