Fiver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Fiver

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer MC Carbine in 30-06 thst I’d never blooded before this season . But then I just acquired it last December . Anyway I worked up loads with five different bullets for the gun . Hornady 150 SST , Nosler 150 BT , Nosler 150 AB , Nosler 165 BT and the Hornady 165 SST . By them selves each was a 3/4 MOA load , but the Intresting thing was all five would stay inside an inch together at 50 yards and inside 2” at 100 yards . So this season I started the rifle season with the 06 and opening morning I plunked a funny looking buck . And over time I got thru the first four a deer each . This morning I went out with only the Hornady 165 SST in the gun and plunked a decent doe at about ninety yards . Almost pulled the same feat with my Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA Carbine in 270 last year got 4 but no shot at the fifth and the five 270 bullets were all 130 grains . Next year I might backtrack and try something along those lines with my Mannlicher Schoenauer MC Carbind in 308 , already plunked a deer with a handload in the 308 but only that one , need to try a few more bullets just for the heck of it !
C1AD806C-C845-4BB2-B226-2B0E0DDD04E8.jpeg
9A54E4BC-B556-44E1-AFA7-E16D41DBC25E.jpeg
Now if I carry the 06 anymore this year it’ll be loaded with factory REM 150 CoreLokts , WIN 150 PowerPoints and REM 165 CoreLokts . Believe it or not the sight in for these three also falls right in there with my five handloads .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fiver

Post by 6pt-sika »

It goes without saying I like these guns . I grew up looking at a 1960 Shooters Bible mainly at these mannlicher stocked rifles and have wanted one ever since . I’ve been fortunate enough to acquire one each of the “common calibers” 243 , 270 , 308 and 06 . Also have a MS Model 1908 in 8x56MS never fired this one . I need to get off my butt and purchase dies , already have plenty 8x57 brass that can be massaged enough to work in an 8x56 . We have a MS Model 1903 in 6.5x54MS at the shop that keeps calling my name . Well Christmas is around the corner :wink:
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Love those rifles. Quintessential mid-century class. I envy you your rifle and congratulate you on its fruitful use.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice job!
I too, like the full stock rifles. My first bolt action was an old model 77 Ruger International in .308.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I love it 6pt. Like you I spent much time admiring MS and those graceful stocks. Bought a MS action for $8 and spent forever getting that rotary magazine to handle .308 then put an old machinegun barrel on it. Even made a butterknife bolt handle for it. Congrats on the doe, she'll be very good eating. We get another 9 day antlerless season the week of Christmas so maybe I'll kill one too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:06 am I love it 6pt. Like you I spent much time admiring MS and those graceful stocks. Bought a MS action for $8 and spent forever getting that rotary magazine to handle .308 then put an old machinegun barrel on it. Even made a butterknife bolt handle for it. Congrats on the doe, she'll be very good eating. We get another 9 day antlerless season the week of Christmas so maybe I'll kill one too.
I’m sure you remmember the “Premier” version of the MS in the old Shootets Bibles , they’re kinda gaudy I suppose all engraved and the stock carved as well . But I sure liked them when I was younger . I’ve been on the lookout for one that’s engraved without the stock being carved . Found a couple just none in my price range LOL’s ! Oh yeah we’ve got until 1/4/20 , two per day all season but only three bucks total . But I have no qualms shooting slicks !
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Good deal, I like the MS, but I don't like mine with a scope, even though I don't have the best vision. Mine is a 8x56----I've shot a couple of deer with it and this year packed it for elk, but no luck there, I did get get a grouse. Mine kicks pretty hard and rattles me a bit, but packing it and pointing it makes up for the (occasional) shot recoil....I still have a lot to learn about mine---although I've had it a long time---either the magazine spring is weak or the magazine is only made for certain bullet styles---quite a few won't feed well in mine---tinkering with the overall length helps, but not 100%.
Nice to see someone who uses them for what they were made for---hunting and packing...great rifles. Wish I had that 6.5x54...HA!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 am Good deal, I like the MS, but I don't like mine with a scope, even though I don't have the best vision. Mine is a 8x56----I've shot a couple of deer with it and this year packed it for elk, but no luck there, I did get get a grouse. Mine kicks pretty hard and rattles me a bit, but packing it and pointing it makes up for the (occasional) shot recoil....I still have a lot to learn about mine---although I've had it a long time---either the magazine spring is weak or the magazine is only made for certain bullet styles---quite a few won't feed well in mine---tinkering with the overall length helps, but not 100%.
Nice to see someone who uses them for what they were made for---hunting and packing...great rifles. Wish I had that 6.5x54...HA!
I’ve not fired my 8x56MS and we’ve had it over ten years . The thing is set up with bases for claw mounts , I’ve been contemplating a set of rings from NECG for it . The 6.5x54MS at our shop doesn’t have a Monte Carlo like the MCA or MC versions just the low comb made for iron sights stock like on my 8x56 . But it has a Pachmayer swing away mount same as my MS 308 and actually lines up pretty well . Although it has an old Lyman PermaCenter 4x on it at the moment . Should it come into my possession I have a nice old Leupold Vari XII 2-7 and an older Redfield Traditional 2-7 either of which should sit the little rifle nicely . I know of a 6.5x54MS in the MCA version with a good many of the Premier features I’d like to have but the price is rather steep . That one has a Khales 2-6 or 2-7 on top .