Lets'have a contest ...... everyone post a Christmas rifle story.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Lets'have a contest ...... everyone post a Christmas rifle story.

Post by wm »

Your own or someone elses story about a Christmas rifle.

After a week or so someone can suggest a winner with the best story and if the majority agrees we will declare him the winner and he gets to buy the first round of drinks next time we all get together.

It beats watching Ralphie and seeing if he shoots his eye out ……

Wm
Last edited by wm on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lets'have a contest ...... everyone post a Christmas rifle story.

Post by wm »

Here's my entry.

It should be a dead give away it is not my story considering it is set in 1881 but some of you guys think I'm just crotchedy and ill tempered enough to be that old!

https://stateofjeffersonrotary.org/libr ... stmas.html

A Christmas Story – A Rifle for Christmas

[Editor's note - The following story makes the rounds on the internet. I don't know if it is a true story or not but the story reflects the Christmas spirit and, to me, exemplifies Rotary and Rotarians. Have a very Merry Christmas!]
Pa never had much compassion for the lazy or those who squandered their means and then never had enough for the necessities. But for those who were genuinely in need, his heart was as big as all outdoors. It was from him that I learned the greatest joy in life comes from giving, not from receiving.
It was Christmas Eve 1881. I was fifteen years old and feeling like the world had caved in on me because there just hadn't been enough money to buy me the rifle that I'd wanted so bad that year for Christmas.
We did the chores early that night for some reason. I just figured Pa wanted a little extra time so we could read in the Bible. So after supper was over I took my boots off and stretched out in front of the fireplace and waited for Pa to get down the old Bible. I was still feeling sorry for myself and, to be honest, I wasn't in much of a mood to read scriptures. But Pa didn't get the Bible, instead he bundled up and went outside. I couldn't figure it out because we had already done all the chores. I didn't worry about it long though, I was too busy wallowing in self-pity. Soon Pa came back in. It was a cold clear night out and there was ice in his beard. "Come on, Matt," he said. "Bundle up good it's cold out tonight."
I was really upset then. Not only wasn't I getting the rifle for Christmas, now Pa was dragging me out in the cold, and for no earthly reason that I could see. We'd already done all the chores, and I couldn't think of anything else that needed doing, especially not on a night like this. But I knew Pa was not very patient at one dragging one's feet when he'd told them to do something, so I got up and put my boots back on and got my cap, coat, and mittens. Ma gave me a mysterious smile as I opened the door to leave the house. Something was up, but I didn't know what.
Outside, I became even more dismayed. There in front of the house was the work team, already hitched to the big sled. Whatever it was we were going to do wasn't going to be a short, quick little job. I could tell. We never hitched up the big sled unless we were going to haul a big load.
Pa was already up on the seat, reins in hand. I reluctantly climbed up beside him. The cold was already biting at me. I wasn't happy. When I was on, Pa pulled the sled around the house and stopped in front of the woodshed. He got off and I followed. "I think we'll put on the high sideboards," he said. "Here, help me." The high sideboards! It had been a bigger job than I wanted to do with just the low sideboards on, but whatever it was we were going to do would be a lot bigger with the high sideboards on. When we had exchanged the sideboards, Pa went into the woodshed and came out with an armload of wood---the wood I'd spent all summer hauling down from the mountain, and then all fall sawing into blocks and splitting. What was he doing? Finally I said something. "Pa," I asked,"what are you doing?"
"You been by the Widow Jensen's lately?" he asked. The Widow Jensen lived about two miles down the road. Her husband had died a year or so before and left her with three children, the oldest being eight.
Sure, I'd been by, but so what? "Yeah," I said, "why?"
"I rode by just today," Pa said. "Little Jakey was out digging around in the woodpile trying to find a few chips. They're out of wood, Matt." That was all he said and then he turned and went back into the woodshed for another armload of wood. I followed him. We loaded the sled so high that I began to wonder if the horses would be able to pull it. Finally, Pa called a halt to our loading, then we went to the smoke house and Pa took down a big ham and a side of bacon. He handed them to me and told me to put them in the sled and wait. When he returned he was carrying a sack of flour over his right shoulder and a smaller sack of something in his left hand.
"What's in the little sack?" I asked.
"Shoes. They're out of shoes. Little Jakey just had gunny sacks wrapped around his feet when he was out in the woodpile this morning. I got the children a little candy too. It just wouldn't be Christmas without a little candy."
We rode the two miles to Widow Jensen's pretty much in silence. I tried to think through what Pa was doing. We didn't have much by worldly standards. Of course, we did have a big woodpile, though most of what was left now was still in the form of logs that I would have to saw into blocks and split before we could use it. We also had meat and flour, so we could spare that, but I knew we didn't have any money, so why was Pa buying them shoes and candy?
Really, why was he doing any of this? Widow Jensen had closer neighbors than us. It shouldn't have been our concern. We came in from the blind side of the Jensen house and unloaded the wood as quietly as possible, then we took the meat and flour and shoes to the door. We knocked. The door opened a crack and a timid voice said, "Who is it?"
"Lucas Miles, Ma'am, and my son, Matt. Could we come in for a bit?" Widow Jensen opened the door and let us in. She had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. The children were wrapped in another and were sitting in front of the fireplace by a very small fire that hardly gave off any heat at all. Widow Jensen fumbled with a match and finally lit the lamp. "We brought you a few things, Ma'am," Pa said and set down the sack of flour. I put the meat on the table. Then Pa handed her the sack that had the shoes in it. She opened it hesitantly and took the shoes out one pair at a time. There was a pair for her and one for each of the children---sturdy shoes, the best, shoes that would last.
I watched her carefully. She bit her lower lip to keep it from trembling and then tears filled her eyes and started running down her cheeks. She looked up at Pa like she wanted to say something, but it wouldn't come out. "We brought a load of wood too, Ma'am," Pa said, then he turned to me and said, "Matt, go bring enough in to last for awhile. Let's get that fire up to size and heat this place up." I wasn't the same person when I went back out to bring in the wood. I had a big lump in my throat and, much as I hate to admit it, there were tears in my eyes too. In my mind I kept seeing those three kids huddled around the fireplace and their mother standing there with tears running down her cheeks and so much gratitude in her heart that she couldn't speak. My heart swelled within me and a joy filled my soul that I'd never known before. I had given at Christmas many times before, but never when it had made so much difference. I could see we were literally saving the lives of these people.
I soon had the fire blazing and everyone's spirits soared. The kids started giggling when Pa handed them each a piece of candy and Widow Jensen looked on with a smile that probably hadn't crossed her face for a long time. She finally turned to us. "God bless you," she said. "I know the Lord himself has sent you. The children and I have been praying that he would send one of his children to spare us." In spite of myself, the lump returned to my throat and the tears welled up in my eyes again. I'd never thought of Pa in those exact terms before, but after Widow Jensen mentioned it I could see that it was probably true. I was sure that a better man than Pa had never walked the earth, save One.
I started remembering all the times he had gone out of his way for Ma and me, and many others. The list seemed endless as I thought on it. Pa insisted that everyone try on the shoes before we left. I was amazed when they all fit and I wondered how he had known what sizes to get. Then I guessed that if he was on an errand for the Lord that the Lord would make sure he got the right sizes.
Tears were running down Widow Jensen's face again when we stood up to leave. Pa took each of the kids in his big arms and gave them a hug. They clung to him and didn't want us to go. I could see that they missed their pa, and I was glad that I still had mine.
At the door Pa turned to Widow Jensen and said, "The Mrs. wanted me to invite you and the children over for Christmas dinner tomorrow. The turkey will be more than the three of us can eat, and a man can get cantankerous if he has to eat turkey for too many meals. We'll be by to get you about eleven. It'll be nice to have some little ones around again. Matt here, hasn't been little for quite a spell." I was the youngest. My two older brothers and two older sisters were all married and had moved away.
Widow Jensen nodded and said, "Thank you, Brother Miles. I don't have to say," 'May the Lord bless you,' I know for certain that He will."
Out on the sled I felt a warmth that came from deep within and I didn't even notice the cold. When we had gone a ways, Pa turned to me and said, "Matt, I want you to know something. Your ma and me have been tucking a little money away here and there all year so we could buy that rifle for you, but we didn't have quite enough. Then yesterday a man who owed me a little money from years back came by to make things square. Your ma and me were real excited, thinking that now we could get you that rifle, and I started into town this morning to do just that. But on the way I saw little Jakey out scratching in the woodpile with his feet wrapped in those gunny sacks and I knew what I had to do. So, Son, I spent the money for shoes and a little candy for those children. I hope you understand."
I understood, and my eyes became wet with tears again. I understood very well, and I was so glad Pa had done it. Just then the rifle seemed very low on my list of priorities. Pa had given me a lot more. He had given me the look on Widow Jensen's face and the radiant smiles of her three children.
For the rest of my life, whenever I saw any of the Jensens, or split a block of wood, I remembered, and remembering brought back that same joy I felt riding home beside Pa that night. Pa had given me much more than a rifle that night, he had given me the best Christmas of my life.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wm
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Christmas 1965, about 25 miles south of Danang air base. Early morning. Cold rain. Soaked to skin, water leaked into my boots. So dark I could not see my hand in front of my face, so quiet I heard my own heartbeat, M-14 and cartridge belt weighed me down into the water and mud. Heard something from behind, leaned against the bunker, raised rifle, drew a bead, made a challenge. Response was “Newman, that you?” Replied “yes SSgt Taylor.” Wondered what the devil is he doing out here at this time of the morning in this weather. He walked up with his .45, two canteen cups, a canteen, made a pour into each cup, gave one to me, clicked his cup to mine, and said “Merry Christmas.” After that drink, I felt a bit warmer and dryer, rifle and cartridge belt lighter. That was and still is the best shot of whiskey I ever drank. He found every Marine in his Fire Direction Control section and gave them a drink on Christmas Eve. His simple act of kindness and caring stayed with me and is remembered every Christmas.

When he left Echo battery, 12th Marines in early 1966 on emergency leave, SSgt Taylor was on the Promoted to Gunnery Sgt. List. Later was told that he received a Limited Duty Officer commission and commanded one the firing batteries in the 10th Marines before retiring. Probably the best Staff NCO I served with. I hope life has been good to him.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Customizing A Savage .22 Rifle

Late last year - JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS - I happened upon a new Savage Model 62 .22 rimfire rifle for under $100 and could not pass it up. These have been around for years are a proven design. The 10 round magazines are easy to find. And Savage rifles have been known for their accuracy. The rifle came home with me.
1.JPG
Using the rifle I found it to be pretty accurate as I expected but there were some things about it that I did not care for. The studs to attach sling swivels were a turn-off for me. It was just a preference. The way I wanted the gun. Not everyone would agree, nor should they. I did not like the front sight. It was black and shooting into darker areas it was hard for my old eyes to find the front sight. I did not care for the open rear sight either. I much prefer an aperture sight (peep sight). For me it is my older eyes and what I can see best with. And I found the bolt handle to be short enough that an old guy with fat fumbly fingers had problems with it at times. None of these issues were major. They were just my little gripes.So I set out to see what all I could do to this rifle to improve it according to my tastes!

First I measured the barrel and it was – as advertised – 21 inches long. I decided to cut it down by about 4 inches. I purchased a 32-teeth-to-the-inch hacksaw blade. I wanted to make a fine cut that would not be ragged and would not require a lot of polishing.

Next I started hunting for a rear sight. I wanted to mount an aperture sight on the rifle but I could not figure out how to do it. After studying it for some time I decided an “L” bracket would work with the rounded top of the receiver. The sides of the receiver were flat and would make a great place to mount it. As I thought on the rear sight, one day I was looking at Jeff Quinn's GUNBLAST.COM and saw the little Crickett .22 rifle that had the neatest looking peep sight on it. On the Crickett manufacturers website (http://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com) I found they offered the entire rear sight assembly and one was soon on its way to Texas.
2.JPG
While I was waiting on the rear sight to arrive I began thinking about the front sight. I ordered a Marble's front sight with the white bead. Their sights come in different heights so I measured the existing front sight and ordered one that corresponded roughly to it.
3.JPG
About then I realized I was going to have to cut a new dovetail in the barrel for the Marbles sight. I wanted to do it right so I started out looking for a jig to cut the front sight dovetail by. Midway used to offer some but their site said they were “discontinued”. I tried ordering one from another outfit but they could not get them either. Finally I found a company that had them in stock and ordered one. The tool also helps make the barrel cut straight, which is always a good thing.
4.JPG
I removed the sling swivel studs and filled the holes with epoxy. A little sanding and things were fine.
5.JPG
6.JPG
The rear sight assembly arrived and I spent several days measuring and thinking. Then one day I got my files and hacksaw and started. The barrel and receiver were removed from the stock. I marked the stock where I needed the vertical dovetail for the rear sight to be. The elevation adjustment for the sight was by loosening a lock screw and sliding the sight up or down. I took about 4 or 5 hours cutting the dovetail. When I got close I went really slow, trying the fit before going any further. Eventually I got it right. The sight looked really good on the rifle.
7.JPG
8.JPG
I had to open up the hole in the rear sight. I took the removable aperture out and then drilled out the threaded hole, making a “Ghost Ring” type rear aperture.A few days later a friend and I drilled and tapped the receiver so I could install a locking screw for the rear sight mount.
9.JPG
A week or so later I pulled the rifle apart again, mounted the receiver in my vise and using a small leveling bubble, got it level. Then I installed the dovetail cutting guide and jig on the barrel. I had the front of the jig exactly where I wanted to make the barrel cut. This positions the sight the proper amount back from the end of the barrel.

Using a 3/8” Mill Bastard file I began the dovetail cut. I used that until I had the body of the dovetail cut to depth and width. Then I switched to the small triangle file and cut the front and back of the dovetail. After I had that done I cut the barrel off using the fine-toothed saw blade I had purchased for that. I made the cut slowly, not crowding the saw. It went much faster than I thought it would.I polished the end of the barrel with fine sandpaper and got all the cutting marks out easily. Then I used a 45 degree taper reamer to remove any metal from the end of the bore. The barrel is now 16 3/4” long. I installed the front sight after touching up everything with some instant blueing.
10.JPG
11.JPG
The bolt handle I thought about for a week or so. There is a company that makes replacement bolt handles .. quite a bit longer. But I did not want to add any weight to the blow back action. Eventually it came to me. I took an old aluminum 12 gauge cleaning rod, cut the end off, turned it down to fit the inside of the bolt handle and Gorilla-glued it in place.It has held up so I am happy!
12.JPG
I fitted a dovetail blank where the old rear sight used to be.
13.JPG
I fitted a dovetail blank where the old rear sight used to be.The little gun is now really handy to hold and use!On the range it has proven to be a fast-handling little gun as well as an accurate one.
14.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I will tell my first Christmas rifle story, true story, mine. Not quite as moving as the original Christmas Rifle Story, but it's my story and one of the few Christmas days that I really remember well. I think it was 1966 and I was 9yrs old. I had owned a BB gun for 2 or 3 years and told my parents I wanted a .22 rifle for Christmas. I knew my dad would not let me have anything but a singleshot rifle, but I did have the choice of getting a .410 shotgun instead, and my grandfather being a wingshooter, and avid quail hunter kind of pushed the .410 but I knew I couldn't afford to shoot the .410 very much, and .22 ammo was less expensive.

I wanted a leveraction because I was left handed, and Ithaca made that little singleshot lever gun. That's what I really wanted, but it was not to be. There wasn't many places to buy guns, around so the choices in inventory were slim, and my dad being a boltaction man for the most part, was not going to go to any great lengths to find me this little levergun.

Things were pretty tight in 1966, we struggled to make a living on the family farm, but on Christmas morning I saw a long package leaned up by the tree and knew it had to be my rifle. And sure enough it was. He had bought me a brand new Winchester model 121 singleshot bolt action rifle, which was a cock on open, .22 singleshot. I was a little disappointed at first (but did my best not to show it) because it was not the coveted Ithaca, but in reality it was a much better rifle then the little Ithaca. I also got a couple yellow boxes of Winchester .22 shorts which was all he would let me shoot for a quite a while.

I remember most of the rest of the day pretty well. Naturally, I wanted to go hunting, and the local rabbit population was the likely quarry for this first hunt, and would remain so for first several hunts with the hopes of eventually bagging a squirrel. So, we went for a walk with the new gun after familiarization and a few rounds at a tin can. We didn't see anything right off and ended up down at one of our ponds and this pond had a pump house and outside the pump house was a bunch of old burn out light bulbs from the pump house that I guess my dad had discarded over the years. He took one and threw it out into the pond and told me to shoot it if I could. I think I missed the first one, but not by much and was reminded to be sure and take a fine bead, and he might have adjusted the sights a notch as well on the elevation. The next shot was a hit and a very satisfying pop when the light bulb exploded. I was (no brag just fact) hitting them pretty consistent and because I was hitting them so well he continued to let me shoot them for several shots, with a little coaching on taking a good rest and sight picture. That little gun was really a good shooter and the sights were now dead on. He seemed pretty impressed that I was hitting with almost every shot, but of course I hadn't let that Daisy BB gun cool off much, as long as I had some BB's to shoot up until now.

Anyway, it was up into the morning now, he said we needed to head back to the house. On the way back we spotted a rabbit which only hopped a few jumps and stopped. I was all ready to pop that rabbit, but I guess my dad wanted that rabbit and pulled rank on me, and took my rifle and shot the rabbit. I guess his desire to shoot the rabbit trumped me getting to shoot it. We took the rabbit back to the house and I was promptly introduced to the chore of skinning and gutting the rabbit, then putting it in the fridge in a bowel of salt water for my Mom to cook later on.

I don't know what I did for the next few hours; I think I probably had a few farm chores to do, as chickens still had to be fed and cows still had to be milked on Christmas, just like any other day on the farm.

However, down in the evening, it was suggested to me to take my new rifle and see if I could shoot another rabbit. It was getting close to sundown, but I still had maybe 30 minutes left, and my dad told me to go easy, and if I jumped one up, chances were it wouldn't run far at that time of day. And sure enough, it happened just like he said it might, and I bumped into one, but it didn't run far, and stopped. One shot, and I had bagged my first rabbit, and naturally, I spent the next few minutes skinning it, and adding it to the bowl of salt water in the fridge. We ate a lot of rabbits over the next few years, needless to say.

My dad passed away last year, but I still have that rifle, and that Christmas day is still one of my fondest childhood memories.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

My measly entry...

I met a girl a few years ago, right away I knew she was different. Two months later was Christmas... I wanted her to be safe and also get her something big. It was the middle of the remlin controversy... I searched Gunbroker for a deal and found... a NIB 336Y for a good price and took a chance. Ended up with one that had a measured straight barrel. Never fired it because it came from the factory with a broken firing pin. I tore it apart and slicked it up... Found a bunch of SS screws to set it apart just a bit... still missing one. It's been several years now and I still havent given it to her. I'm a Winchester guy and never seem to have time to get to the Marlin. She liked shooting the Winchester 92 in .45 Colt so that has stayed at her house. This is a reminder to me to get that dang Marlin going!
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

I am thinking that "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" got it right.

Happy and safe Christmas.

Mark
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm not sure if this counts or not. I was 13 and getting a little tired of airguns, I wanted a .410 shotgun and not just any .410 I wanted a Mossberg 3 shot bolt action. I left hints all over the place. Well Christmas day came and no long slim packages under the tree, so I reckoned my hints had come to nothing, my dad however still had one present unopened but it was a square flat box, when dad finally opened it he said, looking inside, this is no good to me, I have no use for it ! Then he pulled out a folding s/b .410.
It was made in Birmingham and chambered for two and a half inch cartridges, choked extra full :shock: well I was surprised and anxious to get my hands on it BUT it was not a 3" magnum repeater. It cost far more than the Mossberg and I did get years of use out of it but I was always disappointed that my hints had been partially ignored. I blamed my big brother who chose it as it was his idea of a great little .410... :( . I guess a 13 year old isn't easily persuaded that quality is more important than style. :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A picture is worth a thousand words, no?

Any way, I've been gathering parts, and finally got it working and configured just about how I want; now to get a bipod, paint the forend properly, and break it in properly!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Not a rifle story, but for Christmas when I was 13yo, I really, really, really wanted a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge. I had already killed a couple of deer with an ancient Eastern Arms 16 gauge single-barrel and a few more with my older brother's hand-me-down Revelation 12 gauge single-barrel. I wanted an 870 because that's what Grandpa hunted deer, ducks & turkeys with.

Back then, deer hunting was done with dogs, drivers & standers. Anyway, Christmas morning and all us kids were opening our presents...I did not see the proverbial " long, thin box" I was hoping for. Instead I was handed a small wrapped box about 1" x 1" square. I knew had been bad a time or two but surely not this bad. I opened the box and inside was a coin...a nickel. :(

Mama and Daddy could tell by the look on my face that I was disappointed to say the least. Then Mama said look in the box, there is something else....it was a note that said, " Go look behind the pantry door". Aha! That must be where my new shotgun was hidden. I ran and looked :shock: another tiny box with a dime and another note...." Go look under the couch". Surely this was It! :evil: Under the couch was, you guessed it, another tiny box with a quarter and a note..."Go look behind the Christmas Tree". By this time I was getting tired of this torture and everyone laughing at me. I stomped back to the Christmas Tree and sullenly looked behind it. :o :D 8) I saw a tall thin Green Box with Remington written on it!!! Yes! It was the most beautiful Remington 870 12 gauge in the World!

My Grandpappy & Great Uncle and one brother are gone now, but I still have the old 870 and all the memories of many years hunting with the Old Timers.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:17 pmI wanted to do it right so I started out looking for a jig to cut the front sight dovetail by. Midway used to offer some but their site said they were “discontinued”. I tried ordering one from another outfit but they could not get them either. Finally I found a company that had them in stock and ordered one. The tool also helps make the barrel cut straight, which is always a good thing.
I'd be interested to know where you found that jig.... (I know....I need to post a 'Christmas Rifle Story', but I'll have to think on that..... :oops: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:38 pm I'd be interested to know where you found that jig.... (I know....I need to post a 'Christmas Rifle Story', but I'll have to think on that..... :oops: )
DIXIE GUN WORKS

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... TING+GUIDE
JK622
Levergunner

Post by JK622 »

It was 1963 or 64 I think. I was 10 or 11. In probably November my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told them I wanted a 22 rifle. My mother exclaimed "Oh, you're crazy! We're not giving you a gun!" I told them ok, I wanted a bb gun then. The reply was "We'll see" which all kids know means yes. So I kind of put it in the back of my mind. You have to keep in mind that I was a rabid gun nut(and still am) from about age 4. I started a cartridge collection at about that age and still have it. I spent every penny I could scrape together on gun magazines and cartridges for my collection. I haven't changed much to this day. Anyway, we went to my grandparent's in central Texas as we always did for Christmas. Expecting to find a bb gun under the tree, I got up on Christmas morning and raced downstairs to the living room where the tree was. The only thing close with my name on it was a box a little over 2 feet long and about 6 inches wide by about 4 inches thick. I thought there must be some mistake- that couldn't possibly contain my bb gun but here goes. I ripped the wrapping paper off the end and to my astonishment saw a green and brown box that said "Remington"! I almost fainted dead away! Yeh, it was a model 514 Boy's Rifle, single shot 22 that was taken down in 2 pieces, barreled action and stock and boxed that way from the factory! There was not a more surprised or happy kid on the planet that morning! I don't know how my parents came up with the 25 or s
Rem514.JPG
o dollars to get me that rifle but I know they had to sacrifice some things cause we didn't have much extra. There was also a couple of boxes of Winchester SuperX 22 long rifle ammo( at 50 cents/box). Later that day my dad took me to a relatives farm that had some woods on it and I managed to bag 2 armadillos! I'd have brought em home and stuffed em but my dad wouldn't let me put em in the car. I'll remember that day like I went on a safari in Africa! Where's that 22 now? In the gun safe about 10 feet from me! It was my 1st gun and though I have many more now it would be the last one I'd ever get rid of!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Not much story with us, a lot of years we walk to the woods and build a fire and eat a can of peaches and hot chocolate.
Will probably only make it to the sawmill this year as the kid plowed a road to it so i can drive there but will see if we caan get er done and of coarse i always take a rifle along. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Here are 2 Christmas presents to me just this past week...

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Christmas 1962 found me drawing what I wanted under the Christmas tree come Christmas morning. I remember drawing the best picture in the class of a Mattel Shootin' Shell rifle/pistol set. I wasn't disappointed, and all these years later, they are in my safe with a few of my other treasures...

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Yall gotta stop with these christmas stories.I am having a hard time reading the monitor through my tears. My first rifle is a marlin glenfield .22 boltaction made in "79. pop bought it for me and I still have it. When he passed, i inhereited his remington 500 .22 semiauto rifle. I will never let them go if I can help it. thanks fellas, stories like these here make us remember our loved ones. He has been gone now for 29 years . :cry:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Shrapnel wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:22 pm Here are 2 Christmas presents to me just this past week...

lighting does strike twice! ...... :wink: very nice!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS