Single loading Marlin 1895 Guide Gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Single loading Marlin 1895 Guide Gun?

Post by Naphtali »

Is it safe for the extractor of a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun to single load by pushing a 45-70 cartridge partly into its chamber, then racking the lever-breech bolt locked, having breech bolt's extractor "pop" over the cartridge's rim?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Single loading Marlin 1895 Guide Gun?

Post by .45colt »

I'm sure no expert but I just ran a round thru My 1895 SS , both thru the mag and single loading. the extractor seems to make the bump over the rim with ease. I sure won't worry about it in My Life time. :lol: .
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I single load my Marlins quite often when doing load development. No issues so far.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Guide Gun has single loaded a few rounds. No issues. Not even a hint of an issue. Claw type extractors are more likely to have a difficulty with single loading through the ejection port. There are some tricks to mitigate that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ideally, I try to do it so the base of the cartridge is down below the bolt and slides 'naturally' up under the extractor, just because that is the way it is designed to work in most guns, but if you look at the design, it appears that the extractor can move 'out' to bump over the rim without anything bad happening - it looks like there is room for it to do that even with the bolt fully forward, and it is plenty mobile enough to slip over the rim.

Plus.....if it did wear out, it is a heck of a lot easier to replace than a 'Mauser type' one, and is an inexpensive part as well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I used to do that at the range all the time....Never had a problem (actually, never considered there could be a problem :oops: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I'd say about 95% of the rounds fired in mine have been single loaded.
Slow is just slow.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I havent looked at mine in a while, but I believe all the rounds fed from the magazine have the extractor snap over the rim, just like Winchesters. The bolt has a small lip on the bottom, so the shell cant slide up under the extractor very well, or not in the sense that Mausers do.

If you cycle the action slowly and watch it, you should see the shell feed and the extractor snap over the rim. I recall seeing the extractor partially catch the edge of the rim, but not slide up under it. Once I realized it was normal I didnt worry about it any more.

The Ruger 77s with tang safety had the claw extractor snap over the rim of the shell, there was no way for it to slide up under the extractor with the push feed and spring loaded ejector button protruding from the bolt face.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If it’s bad for the extractor I hate to think about the THOUSANDS of rounds I single loaded at the bench in 444’s and 45-70’s as well as most any other rimmed cartridge Marlin ever chambered a lever action for .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I never loaded my Marlins while at the range with more than one round. Just dropped one in the chamber and closed the lever. The extractor is spring steel and designed to spring away and go over the rim.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/