Anyone predator hunt?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone predator hunt?

Post by GunnyMack »

If you do, do you use electronic calls? What brand? Pro's - Con's?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Re: Anyone predator hunt?

Post by JimT »

I did a lot of it in years past. Used Burnham Bros. hand held calls. In those days the electronic calls were with a cassette tape. :D It was a while ago. I recently picked up a Burnham Bros. WF4 call and have used it to call the dogs around the property. Planning on taking it deer hunting. I used the same call years ago to call in coyotes, fox, deer and javelina.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I used to a long time ago.....Thing is, within fifteen minutes of calling, the ravens and crows would start to fly around and I swear they knew it was fake and they were making such a racket that I never did see much or get a lot...if ANY...shots.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to hunt foxes quite a lot years ago, hardly ever now, ( I think Nath has shot em all :D ) I always used just my lips on the back of my hand . Worked for me on all fur and feathered vermin.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I used a squirrel & rabbit distress calls by Faulks and one made by a local craftsmen. They seemed to draw in both feral hogs, dogs and coyotes. Never foxes. But there are not a lot of foxes around here so ……

THe calls are 30 or 40 years. I got them from my uncle who did some trapping and pest nuisance eradication for local farmers. Once in a while just for kicks I take them to back of the local cemetery and use them. I've called in coyotes, owls, turkey buzzards and crows in there at sundown. Just for practice. I practice my duck & geese calls there too. Rarely get a duck but I've called in a surprising number of geese. Once in awhile I even get a turkey to answer me.

Like a simple minded child, I'm easily entertained by such things.

If buzzards and crows were more appealing as game animals I might be inclined to use it with a air rifle for some quiet foraging.

Years ago an uncle on the other side of the family had a marina located next to the local landfill. My cousins and I used distressed rabbit calls to draw the rats out of the dump and shot them from the roof of a pole barn. Weirdly enough we were congratulated and encouraged by local police and sanitation workers until one day we were branded criminals. It literally was a thumbs up on Saturday and a felony the next day. I later learned they likewise crackdown on the rat shooting at the County dump a couple miles away at the same time. I guess someone got a bug up their fanny and decided to put an end to our efforts.

I have buddies who use the electronic calls and the motion decoys with a good bit of success. IIRC Primos and Walker brands but that's a pretty hazy recollection. They look like the old boom boxes from the 80s if that helps. Probably doesn't but ….

Wm

P.S. Natchez Shooters Supply has them on sale quite regularly. Just sayin'

https://www.natchezss.com/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I remember hunting crows by cassette tape!
Actually in the midwest they have crow hunts and crow dinners serving crow. Apparently it is quite good as table fare?!

I'm thinking of buying a new fangled electric caller, one that I can also get/change sounds for fox/ coyotes and crow hunting- I just cant get enough wing shooting!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Just use my hand or one of those elastic band type.
I will use calling in wood land if I suspect one is in there but mostly I work at night.
This one Friday night walked right up to me. A rare lucky encounter these days!
Thirty yards.
GIF-191206_221700.gif
N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

If you combine your crow meat with enough frozen mixed vegetables and stock (I prefer chicken) in a pre made pie shell, crush some potato chips on top and with a large helping of (cheddar, co-jack, or pepper) cheese, heat in the oven until cheese melts and gets kind of crispy it tastes suspiciously like the same dish made with duck.

:roll:

My culinary skills are much more limited then my appetite ...... thank God I married a GREAT cook.

Wm

P.S. You guys ever eat Pasty's? It goes by different names in different areas. Traditional fare here in Michigan since the era of the lumbermen. I've thought about doing some wild game Pasty. With rutabaga of course!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have a Fox Pro electronic and get a coyote once in awhile. You need to play the wind and make it count because the yotes are real fast learners fool them once and they don't come back. I have had best success with bird distress and house cat calls in New England. Blaine you were on the right track if you had crows come in they were there for the left overs.I will admit that I call in more coyotes while spring turkey calling and it seems like the turkey decoys make them commit and charge in hard but its hard to hit them with a 4 inch pattern at several yards!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Used to hunt coyotes frequently, made a few dollars at it. Still do on the odd occasion. Looking forward to do more when I retire. All I ever used was a injured rabbit. Worked pretty good. Some of the farms I hunted have changed hands so I doubt I'd have access to them anymore, but you never know those critters are still a PITA.

I also hunted feral dogs a few times. The ranchers were always happy to see us. Most basically said if you see a dog it ain't mine so shoot it. Feral dogs wreck havoc on both domestic and game animals.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Only use mouth calls & have for 50 years, now have they been that successful for me? not really maybe one in every 10 times
I go out does a coyote show up that I get a shot at & maybe I may flub the shot :oops: coyotes here have had the mange
real bad so numbers are way down & a fox is very rare, when I lived in Wisconsin I tried calling in black bear but no success
with that at all, Eagles honing in on a call will make me get up & let them know I am no bunny!!

ollogger
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wm wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:22 pm. . . You guys ever eat Pasty's? It goes by different names in different areas.
I've never tried; the strippers say they can't take them off or they will get in trouble.... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:05 pm I remember hunting crows by cassette tape!
Actually in the midwest they have crow hunts and crow dinners serving crow. Apparently it is quite good as table fare?!

I'm thinking of buying a new fangled electric caller, one that I can also get/change sounds for fox/ coyotes and crow hunting- I just cant get enough wing shooting!
We started with a cassette tape call, but moved up to an 8 track player when we went big time :) It was a Walmart cheapo that my dad spray painted green and had a 12 Volt lantern battery jury rigged as the power source. We killed a pile of crows over the years with it.

I have an old Foxpro Fury now. It's nothing fancy, but has multiple sounds and does the job.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:13 pmIf you do, do you use electronic calls? What brand? Pro's - Con's?
In order: yes, no, n/a, no opinion.

Although in truth, I don't hunt coyotes anymore... I simply wait til I see one, then pop 'im. Okay, that includes scrambling around getting gun and a position that allows a shot...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I too used to do a lot of varmint hunting, and like JimT I too used a hand held call. But I haven't done so in over a decade now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I predator hunt sometimes. I really enjoy it, esp with my younger son who needs a little more action than something like deer hunting provides.

Right now I am using a FoxPro electronic call but the best one I ever had was a Burnham Bros Compucaller II. It was a great overall machine. I traded it because I thought I had to have the FoxPro but I feel that call was better than any of the FoxPros that I could afford at the time.

I enjoy calling up coyotes, bobcat and foxes. Its fun hunting.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Got set up to go with a friend a few times. Instead of a dedicated electronic call he had an MP3 player and he downloaded a bunch of MP3 files off the net. His squealing rabbit was the most effective but if that didn't work he had about 20 other choices to go to, all for free.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

FoxPro Patriot I picked up at Cabela's on sale and a gift card. It sounds great and combined with the Windham AR it's deadly. Minute of Coyote at 200 yds.
With 77 gr Sierras.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"