What Killed Cabela's....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

What Killed Cabela's....

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/IdwH066g5lQ

I hadn't heard about all this....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What Killed Cabela's....

Post by crs »

It seems that after the founders passed, all went to hell.
Not unusual at all.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

From my point of view.....prices...I've been in three of them with the original one in Nebraska being my first at a time when that was the only location....I liked it...very cool........the novelty wore off fast as the prices kept me from returning to any of them more than a few times. There's now two of them within 60 miles of where I live...I went to the one in Delaware two times and it's only 20 miles from me...by necessity as they had scopes I needed. The one in Hamburg was visited several times only because I was in the area. ----6
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

I never have liked Bass Pro
No used guns
Never found any knowledgeable gun people in the firearms area
Minimal reloading supplies and ammo
I am one gun away from happy
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Hairtrigger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:53 pm I never have liked Bass Pro
No used guns
Never found any knowledgeable gun people in the firearms area
Minimal reloading supplies and ammo
The Denver Bass Pro has some pretty sharp guys at the gun counter.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Let's not forget that now Sidney Nebraska is now a town of unemployed, all the wharehouse folks, sales staff and surrounding businesses are suffering. There was an article on Fox about a Nebraska politician was part of some hedge fund group that got the sale through, making a boatload of money and ruining a town.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cabelas days were numbered the day they took the company public.
I was a regular customer. I do very little business with them now, they have less and less good products every day.
Bass Pro sucks.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Galyan's Trading Post, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Bass Pro all seem to have done the same thing, then suffered for it....they all got so focused on 'sports clothing' (which was mostly overpriced mediocre quality stuff in my opinion), and forgot the core of their business was originally the true 'outdoors person' who wanted the kind of hunting and fishing gear that would work no matter what, and if they wanted any 'sports clothing' it would be along the lines of coveralls, boots, and really good winter gear - not the flashy, trendy stuff...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good observation Doc! L.L. Bean did that exact thing. In the 90s, they turned their back on the people that "made them" and catered to the yuppies with their shiny new credit cards.
They even moved all the hunting and gun stuff to a different building so as to not offend the "target market".
It cost them big time.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 am Let's not forget that now Sidney Nebraska is now a town of unemployed, all the wharehouse folks, sales staff and surrounding businesses are suffering. There was an article on Fox about a Nebraska politician was part of some hedge fund group that got the sale through, making a boatload of money and ruining a town.
It's true that Singer made a huge amount of money in this deal between Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop, but if he didn't do it somebody else would have. Can't blame him or anyone else who brokers such a deal for the demise of Cabelas as it was, or the loss of jobs in Sydney. The truth is that Cabelas did this to themselves, and to the employees in Sydney and other areas who lost their jobs.
Cabelas started out being a Sydney based sporting goods store that did mostly mail order business, and did so very successfully. So much so that they expanded into more and more store fronts. But they also started those humongous "castles" showing off all sorts of mounts, and having lavish aquariums. All that cost the chain huge amount of their profits to build, and that meant raising prices to pay for these lavish stores. With increased pricing came lower sales. People loved to go into a Cabelas store to look around at all the eye candy, but then they left and made most of their purchases at cheaper venues.
It was simply a matter of time until Cabelas got to a point where they needed to either reduce the cost of building stores, reduce the number of stores, or sell. They sold to save the company, even though that cost many their jobs.
So blame Cabelas management, not those who profited from the sale. They simply took advantage of a situation that was ripe for the picking.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't buy much of anything anymore, but let me explain why I still go to Cabelas every so often.
Back in 2007-2008 when the price on EBRs, ammo, powder, etc (If you could find any of that stuff at all) the price in some cases doubled. Cabela's didn't raise their prices, and limited ammo and reloading items so everybody could have a fair chance to get some. Every Mom/Pop Toystore around these parts would bend you over the barrel and ram it to ya on prices at that time. But, all y'all are right..Cabela's is over-priced. Even the used stuff in the Bargain Basement is more that buying new someplace else.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I still go now and then, but hardly buy anything anymore. Every now and then I might come across a bargain, but few and far between
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm... Wal-Mart, 6.1 miles from the house - Winchester Low Noise/Low Recoil AA shotshells = $7.97/box --- when they have 'em, never uring Winchester's $2 rebate program.

Then there's BassPro, 11.2 miles away - same ammo, usually in case lot, while W-M only has a few boxes = 8.99/box, and they nearly always have them during Winchester's $2/box rebate.

And they're pretty well stocked on powders & such... so, there ARE times (like Sunday-Wednesday when my local reloading pusher isn't open), that I buy something @ BassPro. Convenience IS a thing!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Similar story when it comes to Sears, Kmart, etc. Short term thinking and profit making.

Ironic thing is Sears was the original Amazon with their catalog back in the 1880s. If they had long term thinking Sears could be a serious rival to Amazon. But they didn't …… and my guess is Lempert and Sears will be broke and gone in a couple weeks. Bet they don't hang on to Easter.

Wm
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wm wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:03 pm Similar story when it comes to Sears, Kmart, etc. Short term thinking and profit making.

Ironic thing is Sears was the original Amazon with their catalog back in the 1880s. If they had long term thinking Sears could be a serious rival to Amazon. But they didn't …… and my guess is Lempert and Sears will be broke and gone in a couple weeks. Bet they don't hang on to Easter.

Wm
The one in Tacoma Mall's been closed for over a year....I guess there's a few more scattered around different places.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We haven't had a Sears store anywhere around here for well over a year. Some went away 2 years ago. And we used to have at least a half dozen or more within 15 miles.

I still go to Cabelas once a month to pay off my monthly credit card. And when the points get high enough I usually buy a bunch of good .22 target ammo, or whatever else I might want. I figure even if the items are a bit higher, they're free to me with my points.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Same thing killed 'em as all of the other companies mentioned - greed.

They expanded too quickly, and sold the company.

They lost track of their core values: Sell hi-quality merchandise at reasonable prices,
stand behind that merchandise, provide jobs, treat employees fairly, and improve the
quality of life for those employees and their community while making a reasonable
profit and staying in business for the long haul.

The Paul Singers of this world are greedy, nasty, morally bereft leeches. All that
they are interested in is more money for themselves. That's why the companies
that they control are selling cheap, flashy, imported clothing - 'cuz that's where
the highest markup is.

It's a real shame, too.

-Tom
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I remember when Bass Pro Shops were small independents that ran a franchise in strip mall type locations. There never was a Cabela's anywhere near me. I would visit them when I had business out West. Loved the used gun rooms.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

stretch wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm That's why the companies
that they control are selling cheap, flashy, imported clothing - 'cuz that's where
the highest markup is.

It's a real shame, too.

-Tom
CHEAP is the word!

I'm not embarrassed to say that Goodwill, Salvation Army, & St Vincent DePaul (as well as the occasional estate sale) have become my clothing retailers of choice. No one wants wool sweaters or work/out doorsman shirts anymore but I find they work great with long sleeve t shirts and turtle necks. And yes I get compliments on how they look.

Ditto work pants …… those faded or stained Khakis or navy blue slacks for $3 work just fine for me for about year or two. I get $200 uniform allowance …… use most of it to buy real good work boots. And a several pairs of real good socks and some good quality arch support inserts. It is true …… when your feet hurt then you hurt all over. And when you are foot tired, the work day drags by.

I guess I'm getting a little off topic. But old ain't the same as worn out, new is not synonymous with better or improved.

Wm
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I gotta say I have been fortunate with the Cabela’s a half hour from me. They have 444 Marlins, 1950’s model 94’s in almost new shape, and 1973 model 94’s with rust and extra holes in the receiver all for the same price and MOST customers don’t know the difference because it isn’t flat shooting and synthetic stocked.
Since June I have bought a 1951 model 94 in 32 special( very good shape 90% plus), a 1886 takedown in 33wcf, a Winchester 1895 in 30-40, a colt 22 single action, a Marlin 1894 takedown in 25-20, and a 1971 Marlin 444. But I go weekly to see what is there.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.