Holster thoughts (another opinion piece by a bored contributor)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Holster thoughts (another opinion piece by a bored contributor)

Post by wm »

Warning the opinion expressed in this post are both shocking and disturbing in their banality

For as much ink and effort and dogma that is devoted to calibers, cartridges, bullet shape and composition, firearms, and training there is comparatively a miniscule amount of discussion about what pulls everything together and makes it a workable option for public appearances …… the holster.

This nugget of obvious wisdom came to me in one of those moments of clarity that can be best described by that age old exhortation 'Well … duh!' as I made an effort to reevaluate my carry firearms and EDC requirements a couple years ago. I had settled into a pattern 1911 under coats, and 38 spl S&W 36 or Charter Arms 44 spl under untucked shirts (flannel in the fall and spring, Hawaiian in summer otherwise known as fatman's camouflage). And while this still seemed to work alright I decided I needed to see if the world of firearms had advanced since 1990 when I first began this routine. (Spoiler alert …… I'm not sure it has).

Anyway I acquired S&W M&P, M&P compact, and M&P Shield (all 9mm) and set about to do some shooting and testing. Well they work. No surprise, right? And then I went the next step and looked for holsters to carry them as I trained, drilled, & ventured forth daily into interact with what we refer to as the "public" . Well what I found is that there is some new stuff out there. Neat plastics that are not cheap and flimsy, nylons that seem to offer great durability and value, and hybrids that combine different materials trying to accentuate the strengths of each. And they all offer the advantage of being amenable to easy maintenance and cleaning. Not an unimportant consideration IMO but one rarely discussed.

As my ADHD-esque scientific process of experimentation and investigation evolved over the several months, moving through various options I often looked to the collective human wisdom of the internet to see what others had encountered. I was surprised by the lack depth & breadth of discussion to be found on the matter. Ask about a powder, a bullet, a firearm, twist rate, sights, training doctrine, or any other matter of thought or deed and you almost get crushed with opinions. Ask about holster related thoughts …… crickets. Well maybe not crickets, but darn sure a lot less said or has been said on that matter.

And that struck me as quite curious. It is the holster that cradles our last best hope of self defense, holds at the ready but securely the means by which we hope to see another day. It is the final piece of the puzzle that holds all other elements with comfort and convenience that which we have spent so much time, effort, and money to determine is going to keep us alive. A bad holster can make a even a super light weight firearm a chore to carry & a good holster can make even a large firearm a reassuring presence.

As for my own journey …… the M&Ps have found a home in my night stand replacing S&W Models 27 & 28. The Shield while not a disappointment is rarely carried. The 1911 is more often taken on limited hiking efforts or long journeys through sketchy urban enviroments. And I've got a new belt holster for my S&W 36 with 3" barrel that I like very much but it is an age old design that is more a product of 19th century then 20th century thinking. And I rediscovered an old shoulder holster that has become my preferred go to for day to day carry with that revolver. The 44 spl still makes appearances on my belt in the same holster that it has been using for years. At 52, barring some major infirmity issue, I have probably settled the issue for the remainder of my life. At some point old dogs just don't learn new tricks.

Maybe that is the lesson to be learned …… not much is said or written because once we find what works, we quit looking, and just take it for granted. 'nuff said?

Wm
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: Holster thoughts (another opinion piece by a bored contributor)

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I must say that I have owned a bushel basket or more of holsters in my life and most of them have been abandoned because they didn't turn out be very satisfactory when actually put to use.
Field carry is one thing, but CCW is another story. I have tried the whole spectrum of handguns and holsters over the years from various revolvers as small as the tiny NAA mini revolvers, to 4" model 29's and every size in-between. I have carried or attempted to carry pretty much the entire spectrum of semi-auto's from Kel-tec's little .32 auto to various Glocks, and 1911's, etc. and everything in-between.

And I still try a new holster every once in awhile. What I have learned is that there is no free lunch, and a lot of holsters out there are pretty much junk, and quite a few more will sorta get you by. And very few have stood the test of time. And there is something to be said for the fact that carrying a gun is often comforting but just as often not very comfortable to pack all day.

A few things I have learned that work for me and a few that don't:
When I carry CCW, I am picky and 99% of the time, I make sure that no one can spot the gun on me.
I have found that inside the IWB holsters offer the best concealment, usually, although I do have a few that are OWB.

I have found that I can carry a Colt Lightweight Commander in a Milt Sparks IWB holster (summer special) or a few other models they have, about as easily as any handgun and easier then most. I have carried some form of Lightweight Commander more then any other gun, for close to 30 years.

However, I can carry a full size Glock 17 or 22 in a thin Kydex IWB holster about a easily. I don't carry a 17 much but I do carry a 40 caliber G22 some, because it always available in my truck. However, I don't find Kydex holsters to be very confortable, and prefer leather, but the full size Glocks are thicker then a 1911 or Lightweight Commander, so in this case I prefer Kydex.

The holster gun I am inclined to carry some, when I want a little lighter load, is a Smith and Wesson Shield in a Kydex holster.
I can carry any of these guns under a vest or even a Hawaiian shirt in the heat of summer, without being noticeable. I carry anywhere I want and a lot of places I probably shouldn't.

Then you got the pocket guns, which I will sometimes carry a little NAA mini revolver or two, and sometimes a Colt .380 pocket light in a jacket or vest pocket, or front pocket of my jeans behind a handkerchief so I don't print much if any to speak of. The other gun I might carry on occasion is a little J-frame Smith and Wesson revolver, in the Air weight or titanium model.
I have tried a lot of other guns and holsters but found most not entirely satisfactory and gave up on most of them.

The Lightweight Commander in the Milt Sparks IWB holster gets the most use, and I have carried some version of it for over 30 years, more then any other gun, because I have found that I can conceal it about as easy and easier then most, and it provides speed of delivery, acceptable power, and reliability.

Whatever I try or experiment with, it always leads me back the 45 Commander and the Milt Sparks IWB holster. Maybe I have gotten to the point where this old dog just can't learn any new tricks that stick, but I have dammed sure spent a lot on holsters and guns over the years trying.
NRA Life Member, Patron
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Well said guys. I finally decided on a compact 1911(4") in 45 and the Galco Summer Comfort. Kind of a knock off of the Milt Sparks. I also have an old Safariland shoulder rig that I use to carry my cut down 1917 S&W. In summer hot weather I use a nameless ankle holster that has a garter to above the calf to carry my Colt Cobra, you know, the detective special with an aluminum frame. At 80 now it is not easy to get to that ankle rig so I don't use it much any more. The Summer Comfort got stolen along with the pistol and I miss the holster the most. Like Lastmohecan I've worn out and discarded half a pickup load of duty rigs and cowboy leather. Some great, some awful.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
1894c

Post by 1894c »

wm & M. M. Wright -- my simple response to your posts is (and your posts are very good) this... finding a good holster that works can be a real pain, and sometimes more than that, and the price they want for a kydex holster... thank you both for posting on this topic... :)
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

It is the holster that makes the gun functional in our lives. No matter how good a firearm is from a performance stand point, if you can't comfortably carry it, and rapidly access it, then you won't carry it.

And balancing comfort, security, and accessibility is not an easy task & it does not get the appreciation in print that perhaps it should.

Wm
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

One of my favorites for easy all-day carry .. whether the Star or a 1911 ... the Yaqui Slide ..
201912051726065de93daece04d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Many years ago I decided I like cross draw better than any other means of carry. I also like minimalist holsters like the Yaqui slide above. The weather here is rarely cold. So as also mentioned the Hawaiian shirt covers my OWB cross draw holsters very well. On the odd cold or rainy day I can still carry the same way but swap the Hawaiian shirt for a button down and a covering garment. I also prefer leather. There is some god stuff and bad stuff out there. I'm not a great experimenter so once I find something that works I'll stick with it.

The one interesting change in recent years has been the adoption of some of Simply Rugged's wares. And in tribute to a very brave Marine I find myself wearing this quite frequently.

A bit more leather than I usually use, but not so much it makes concealment difficult.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad