Tried out my new 106 year-old 44-40 SRC (photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Tried out my new 106 year-old 44-40 SRC (photo)

Post by KirkD »

I couldn't stand wondering any longer, so I just stepped out into the backyard for a few minutes to see how this old Winchester Model 1892 44-40 carbine works (see earlier thread for photo of the old-timer). Set up a target at 25 yards, slipped five rounds into the magazine, leaned against a tree and cycled all five round through. The five-shot group at 25 yards was 1/4" by 3/4" but most of the spread would be my fault, especially the vertical spread. That front sight was waving around like a tree top in gale force winds, and my 65 year-old eyes are a pretty sloppy when it comes to getting a consistent vertical sight picture in these wide v-notch carbine sights against a black target with no clear bullseye, so the vertical spread can probably be cut down to the same as the horizontal spread, and the horizontal spread would be smaller than 1/4" if I had rested the carbine on something rather than just leaning against a tree. Anyway, the objective was to see if the 106 year-old 44-40 carbine could throw bullets reasonably close to each other, and if the cartridges loaded, and fed without a hitch. Pleased to say all is well. Now to try this out at 100 yards at the range next week. I'll have to adjust the windage a bit before I hose down the 100 yard target.
44-40 target.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tried out my new 106 year-old 44-40 SRC (photo)

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd say it's a keeper!! Great find from the great white north!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

That's a weird looking keyhole.

:lol:

Very cool!

Wm
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That shows promise 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Looking good, Kirk....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Geeee!! with a group like that I would be asking for a refund..................................... 8) :mrgreen: .
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans Kirk, wish my eyes were good enough to do that. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

When I saw the photos of the old carbine, it looked so "rode hard and hung up wet" that I was hoping it would give me a 4" group at 10 yards to use inside the house during a home invasion. However, this gun has been a real good surprise to me.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

congratulations, I love my miroku winchester 1873 in 44-40 cycles and shoots like a ***dream. :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
1894c

Post by 1894c »

KirkD -- that is more than amazing... what a great find... :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Haha, I knew it, in fact I was surprised! Surprised you had not already had a pop in the back yard.
See I know your soft spot for 44/40 Kirk 8)
Good man.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's good shooting! you seem to be a magnet for high quality old time shooting iron. I never see anything like that around here.

My guess is that was a trapper's rifle... innards cared for and outside weathered, just like people. Perhaps he was a salt water trapper, running traps along the shoreline and skiffing from set to set.

a gun that shoots like that doesn't get shot out because it's the working gun. Maybe 20 shots a year to harvest the year's meat supply? My meat guns were like that

or I could have an overactive imagination I suppose.

Cheers
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Very nice shooting Kirk. Bring the rifle down here t oTexas and it will Kill hogs all day long with that sort of group. Hit them right behind the ear and about an inch low and they tend to go FLOP!

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath: you are right about my soft spot for the 44-40! There is something nostalgic about it. It put the meat on the table for an awful lot of homesteads during the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Grizz: I think you probably have the best explanation for the external "rode hard and put up wet" look, but an immaculate bore and inner action. Mere hunting only sees the outdoors for a week or so. A trapper's rifle sees action for at least 5 or 6 months of the year.