An unsoliciited opinion titled The curious case of the Ruger SR45

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

An unsoliciited opinion titled The curious case of the Ruger SR45

Post by wm »

The Ruger SR45 (and indeed the entire SR line) came fully to the market around 2012. In 2013 there were numerous articles and reviews extolling the SR45's virtues of affordable price, good ergonomics, good trigger, accuracy and reliability. To be sure there were a few warts, mostly some early production gun issues that Ruger rectified in very short order and by 2014 the SR line was set to be a force in the market. And then …… it did not happen. Eventually the folks at Ruger moved on to the American line, and LC9 which expanded into the budget friendly Ruger Security 9.

SR 45 and the rest of the SR line was quietly discontinued. There are still some NIB, old stock pistols to be found here and there but the SR production line ended 2017 as near as I can tell.

That leaves me a bit mystified as a SR45 owner. I can't find a fault with my example. Well maybe one …… the safety is easy to flick off but flicking it back on takes some effort and focus. It is not as though it mechanical issue, but rather a ergonomic issue. That lever is small which is nice in many ways but once in the fire position the thumb wants to slide along its length rather then flip it over to the safe position. THe leverage and angle just don't work as well for going to safe as it does to fire. However flipping it from safe to fire …… not quite in the 1911 realm of easy and natural but close.

In regards to the other issues that one considers when evaluating a pistol such as size and weight … for a 45 ACP with 10+1 rounds its down right svelte. Just enough heft to make shooting comfortable. Its a full size pistol, kind of similar in size to the 1911 commander so you have the same advantage and limitations experienced gun toters would expect.

Accuracy is very good, heck even excellent. It is helped by a excellent trigger that is by anything other then single action match standards excellent (I say that because the natural comparison to match grade triggers in similar 1911 style 45 ACP). Compared to a stock Glock trigger …… well no comparison. Ruger definitely got this right.

The sights are good by todays standards. Really we have gotten spoiled in the last few years. Remember when 1911 and Browning Hi Powers ruled the pistol market? Remember those sights? I did not remember them being a handicap back then when I had 20 something year old eyes but now that I'm in my 50's and I try to use them …… well those sights ain't what they use to be I guess. :wink: The Ruger sights are very good and align quickly and naturally.

And finally I want to touch on reliability .... early on Ruger's SR series had some spotty reports of issues with functioning. I think there was some validity to those complaints. I also think Ruger quickly addressed the issue and got it fixed at the production level as well as retroactively fixed pistols sent back. My example just passed the 6K mark. I had some FTF issues early on (first 100 rounds) and then nothing further. I attribute this to some break in of a tight fit between frame and slide.

Often we look at low sales figures for designs that seem to come and go quickly, especially from big manufacturers, that are then deemed failures. People assume some mechanical or structural flaw results in their withdrawal from the market (Remington's RP 9 for example) but the SR series is an exception to that. If you see one languishing in the used gun counter at the local gun shop, don't hesitate to give it a look. Particularly if the owner has priced it according to a perception that it is a failure.

Wm
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: An unsoliciited opinion titled The curious case of the Ruger SR45

Post by jeepnik »

Mayhaps it's simply that it was too much like a Glock and so did not standout. There are quite a few Glock like handguns on the market today.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

The only company worse than ruger for discontinuing a popular product is taurus.....

And taurus even supports some of the discontinued items.....

We have several of the sr's and the only thing wrong to me is the magazine disconnect which is quite easily removed.....
m.A.g.a. !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Changing times - who'da thunk popular cars would disappear ?

IMO all the firearms makers are scrambling to correct what they think of as the fickleness of the gun-buying market these days, beit younger shooter's shifting loyalties due to persuasive advertising by whatever maker, or the aging of the traditional/conservative gun buyer of yore (myself included) who are satisfied with what they have and are not going for the newer products.

Once upon a time, I bought a then-new 9mm Ruger P85, which I thought felt like a 2x4 in my hand...….

After some use, though, I grew to really like it, and the flawless way it shot.

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Ah the P85 …… I nearly bought one myself back in 1988. I had just turned 21 and wanted a Colt 1911. Could not afford it. Or my second choice - a Browning Hi Power. But the S&W 3906 and the P85 were with in the budget. Handled them both and selected the 3906. I can't say I ever regretted it. I still have it and even carry it on a regular basis.

I've noticed there is definitely a gap that roughly corresponds to age in where peoples tastes lead them. I suppose that has always been true to some degree.

Wm
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:59 pm Mayhaps it's simply that it was too much like a Glock and so did not standout. There are quite a few Glock like handguns on the market today.
That is the truth. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then Glock should be very flattered.

Wm
1894c

Post by 1894c »

the bottom line to the success or failure to any new striker-fire auto design is the LE and Military market. It's real hard to compete against Glock, S&W, and Sig Sauer in that arena... the only autos I see in LEO holsters are mostly Glock, followed by S&W and Sig. Beretta used to be there, but it too has been replaced... :(
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Competition does kill off a lot of good products. Sort of a law of nature, thrive or die. Unless a product has something to set it above the competition or is first to market with an excellent product that might not be topped for a long time, there might not be enough sales volume to keep it going.

I have a P85 that I replaced the sights on. It is decently accurate and strong enough to handle anything that I would ever want to put through it. The grip fits me well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Ray wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:34 pm
We have several of the sr's and the only thing wrong to me is the magazine disconnect which is quite easily removed.....
and i might add to that the prices of the magazines are twice what they should be......
m.A.g.a. !
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Just an update of sorts ……

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... ustom+Link

Ruger SR45 for $250. Lot of gun for that money IMO

Wm
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner