Picked up a gun just for the fun value

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Picked up a gun just for the fun value

Post by David LaPell »

A little while back I picked up a gun just for the fun of it, something I don't often do. I got a Pedersoli Baker Cavalry shotgun, a muzzleloading double barrel 20 gauge with 11 1/4" barrels. This gun is legal because as a muzzleloader it falls under the antique firearm rule.
I took it to the range the other day for the first time with some #4 & # 7 1/2 shot and a pair of .600 lead round balls.

It patterns very wide at 25 yards, in fact the bullseye target for the .600 roundball was 2 feet to the left of the target with the 7 1/2 shot which is why it has some holes in it. I think it would be fun to try and take a turkey at 25 yards with it just to say it was practical.

I will say the gun is hilariously fun to shoot and has no recoil. The only change I made was to swap out the stock nipples that took #11 caps with those that take musket caps.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Picked up a gun just for the fun value

Post by AJMD429 »

Now THAT just looks FUN.....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At short range it should pepper a target with lead. Looks like fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have the longer barreled version of that gun the plains model and love it.I like the single trigger as it makes it easier to use in the winter rabbit hunting with gloves on.I also switched out the nipples for musket nipples
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Good grief ! They sure are proud of them judging by the prices. I hope you found a deal.....

I have a tradition's blunderbuss with the funnel removed and bead added but it is only a .54", something between #29 and #30 bore.

Try both a buffer (grits or farina) and a grease load to tighten-up patterns.....

After throwing powder and seating card, throw a measure of filler of at least a square of bore.

Start a 3" x 3" square of greased cloth and use it like a shotcup of sorts, filling it with alternating layers of shot and molten grease/wax.....

Fold ends of patch over shot. Cover with card and seat firmly....

This is a trick from the flintlock fowling era for big birds and longer shots and should increase your range for turkeys.....

The melting part sounds more complicated than it really is but a butane pocket torch and a small tin of wax is all you need.

Only the top surface of the wax, not the whole tin, needs melting to pour over shot.

The caution of keeping the torch flame well away from powder is obvious......

Here is a good site for smoothbore muzzleloading.....

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/index.html
m.A.g.a. !
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I like it. It looks like a fun little noise maker.

I'd be tempted to use it on some crows that are obnoxiously populating the woods I hunt.

Wm