Need a little help Id-ing a Parker SxS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Need a little help Id-ing a Parker SxS

Post by 2ndovc »

My friend's mother passed away recently and he stopped by yesterday for a little b-day get together and brought along his dad's guns for me to take a look at. His dad had died while we were still in college almost 30 years go. I remember her showing them to us back then but she was very protective of them and back in the cases they went.
One is an old Savage bolt action 4C, 22lr repeater. Good used condition in need of a light cleaning, but well preserved. The other is a Parker 12 gage in similar condition but I know nothing about vintage shotguns other than it's a classic. Joe was a bird hunter all his life, they weren't sure if he had bought the gun before or after his time in the Navy in WWII. It's in very good shape mechanically. Locks up tight and everything works like it should but is well worn like an old side by side should be.
Any info on what model/ grade it is would be greatly appreciated. I figured I'd start here before buying any more books.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need a little help I-ding a Parker SxS

Post by GunnyMack »

Very nice Jason, blue looks good, some case color too!
I do love Parkers but I know squat about them. 6pt is the master of Parker's here on the forum. I'd wait to hear from him !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:44 pm Very nice Jason, blue looks good, some case color too!
I do love Parkers but I know squat about them. 6pt is the master of Parker's here on the forum. I'd wait to hear from him !
+1
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The minimal amount of engraving is less than any of my D grade Parkers, which includes my Damascus barreled 20 ga made in 1900 shown below or my Parker reproductions.

Parker did make a Trojan line and maybe other lesser decorated guns. My recommendation would to go post those pix on the PGCA (Parker Gun Collector Association) site and you will get all the information you want and maybe more. There are even folk there that worked for Parker distributors and REALLY know their stuff.

http://www.parkerguns.org/
Enjoy.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need a little help Id-ing a Parker SxS

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Charles, I will check that out.

Much appreciated!

Jason

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

According to the Parker site it was made in 1902. V Grade with a number 2 frame. Barrels are 28". Looking in a really outdated Blue Book, the Trojan model wasn't made until the '30s. Best guess so far is that it is a VH model.

I'm sure Mr. 6 PT will be along.

jb 8)

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

WELL THAT WAS QUICK!

Thanks for the feedback.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Nice Parker. I second the VH grade.

Take a close look at the head of the stock, particularly the right side where the head of the stock meets the action and tang. From the pictures it appears there is a gap between wood and metal and the wood is proud. This could indicate a crack in the head of the stock that needs attention before you shoot it. At the least have someone knowledgeable look at it.

If the lockup is still tight, it’s on face, and you get the stock tender to, you could get it afield with some low pressure loads.

I do most of my pheasant hunting with vintage doubles.

Jason
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You have a VH built on a 2 frame that was made in 1902 . From your pics I couldn’t see if it has ejectors or extractors . If it has ejectors it’s a VHE . Looks in pretty decent shape !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That gun has relatively good case coloring although light but you can still see it . Almost all the screws appear not messed with or buggered . The wood at the cheeks or head of the stock whichever you care to call it looks a little to proud but that might be an optical illusion. There’s nothing wrong with a VH it’s the lowest graded Parker VH then PH thrn GH then DH then CH next BH next AH then AAH then A-1 Special and finally the Invincable . While they made a Trogan that was a more utilitarian less costly to produce version and not what’s considered a graded version . I’ve got VH or VHE Guns in 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 . Probably my finest two Parker’s are the little VHE 20 and the new addition VH 28 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Will either or both barrels float a dime ? Typically I would say a 28” would be M&F however I’ve found with a Parker most any choke combination is possible and the right barrel isn’t necissarily the more open barrel .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now I’m not telling you to do this that or the other when it comes to shooting this gun . However if it were in my possession I would after I tapped the barrels to see if they rang true and had the butt stock looked at . But when time came to shoot I have no issue with shooting factory express loads of the situation warrants it . Now my 12 gauge handloads are low enough pressure wise where I don’t have any second thoughts about shooting them in damascus Guns . I just load the low pressure shells so I need not worry about putting the wrong ones in the damascus Guns . But if I only had fluid steel 12’s I’d load them a bit warmer .
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for all the info!

I will pass it along when I return it to my friend. I doubt that he will shoot it much if at all, he has a few guns, one of which I gave him, but they are more for defensive purposes. He and his older brother will want to keep it in the family since it was their dad's. It will be looked after, just like it has been but unfortunately, it really won't get to do what it was made for. They may let me hang on to the old Savage knowing my affection for old .22s. I can get away with subsonic loads and about 50 yds in my back yard. Even with really awful sights and not so great trigger, it's definitely Minute of Squirrel at 50 paces. :D

jason 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:53 pm
According to the Parker site it was made in 1902.
V Grade with a number 2 frame. Barrels are 28".

Best guess so far is that it is a VH model.

No need to guess, on graded Parkers, as the grade was always marked in the frame's watertable - please note the tiny "v" stamped there, just above the frame SN.