Lake City ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Lake City ?

Post by Rusty »

My brother in law lives next door and called saying he was having problems with his AR. He had a live round stuck in the chamber. I looked at it and the bolt wasn't completely in battery. I was able to eject the round with some effort. He said that he had some other rounds that wouldn't fire in his Mini 14, not even a dent on the primer. After looking at the ammo I see the brass is marked LC 68 but it's loaded with soft point bullets. I'm wondering if LC ever loaded any soft point bullets or are these someone's poor attempt at reloading?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lake City ?

Post by jnyork »

I am almost certain that those would be reloads. Probably shouldn't mess with them any more, unless you want to pull the bullets and start over from scratch.

Over 60 years ago, a local gunsmith was teaching my Dad and I about reloading. He stressed to us that we should NEVER reload for anyone else and NEVER shoot someone else's reloads. I have stuck to that religiously ever since and recommend it to others.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

JNYork is correct, especially about what his gunsmith told him!.

"LC 68" is the military designation from ammunition made at the Lake City arsenal in 1968. Where did your brother in law get this ammunition?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd set about pulling those bullets, dump the powder, pull the decapping pin and see if they are actually resized. I bet they weren't sized.
And yes never shoot someone else's reloads.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks guys, I never shoot anybody else's reloads either. Someone gave these to him about 30 years ago and he's had them all this time. I'm thinking they're just really bad loads. He brought the rest of what he has over this morning so I'll just pull the bullets so nobody gets hurt.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:57 pm...And yes never shoot someone else's reloads.
I'd set about pulling those bullets, dump the powder, pull the decapping pin and see if they are actually resized. I bet they weren't sized.
THIS ↑ ↑ ↑

Be sure to lube the cases before running 'em thru the sizing die... just saying...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

The .223 can be finicky within different rifles even though they are supposedly "mil-spec".

Yes....Like others have said, they are reloads.....

It's all about setting the sizing die to Sammi specs.....if the reloader of that ammo had his die back off a quarter turn and then your buddies gun had a tight chamber, well, it ain't gonna fully chamber. Another possibility is the ogive of the bullet...maybe they are seated out and the bullet kept the round from chambering...unlikely though as a mil spec chamber has a bit more free bore.

When a loaded round gets stuck in the chamber of an AR, just point the gun up, away from your face, and bang the buttstock on the ground..it'll pop right out...I've done it fifty times.

As for shooting other people's reloads, no problem, I've done it thousands of times...use common sense.....I ain't putting anybody's 44-40's in an antique 1873. If I know the reloader, I'll use em, depending on load and gun I'm using them in. if I don't know the reloader I'll pull sample rounds and check em....then use them in a "meat and potatoes" strong cheaper gun, like a Ruger Single action or a Remington 700......problems with other people reloads always (for me) comes down to reloading techniques that keep the ammo from chambering in my gun.....like not enough resizing of the case or too large of a sizing of the cast bullet.--- :D a---6
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a lot of good advice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have them set aside now in a zip lock bag and wrapped masking tape around it wrote BAD on the tape in case I don't get to it in time.

Thanks guys.