94AE 44 mag Timber Scout?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

94AE 44 mag Timber Scout?

Post by Bruce in WV »

I may make a trade for a minty 94AE 44 mag Timber Scout. Little on the net other than old promo pic and dates of production (2005-2006?).
Anybody here have practical experience with this model as a hunting rifle for Eastern woodlands deer?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 94AE 44 mag Timber Scout?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

No but i bet a 300gr cast RNFP at 1500fps would handle anything you come across. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Run, don't walk, but run away. Terrible idea.

Um … by the way …… what was the number of the guy that had that for sale? I'm asking for a friend.... :mrgreen:

Wm.

P.S. Sounds like a winner of a general purpose, good for just about anything, sort of rifle. I hope it serves you well.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have read some negative issues about feeding from the 94 when redesigned to take modern pistol cartridges, but I really think that's not a big deal.

As for the functionality of a short barreled lever-action carbine in 44 Magnum for deer, I can't think of anything better. 45 Colt is good too, but I really don't think the deer can tell the difference.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JMO - YMMV . 8)

As a deer cartridge, the .44 Mag works well out to about 125yds (+/-); but as a rifle, I'd much rather use a rifle with an action designed for the pistol cartridge length (as opposed to full-length cartridges) - like a Winchester/Rossi Model 1892/92 or a Marlin 1894/94.

As a further consideration, you might want to reflect on when that Timber Scout was made (2005/2006) - while Winchester was in plant-closing mode with attendant labor union issues that often resulted in less than ideal product results.

Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

"As a deer cartridge, the .44 Mag works well out to about 125yds (+/-); but as a rifle, I'd much rather use a rifle with an action designed for the pistol cartridge length (as opposed to full-length cartridges) - like a Winchester/Rossi Model 1892/92 or a Marlin 1894/94.

As a further consideration, you might want to reflect on when that Timber Scout was made (2005/2006) - while Winchester was in plant-closing mode with attendant labor union issues that often resulted in less than ideal product results."

That information about the factory closing is new to me, and very appreciated. I will inspect the gun very carefully!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bruce in WV wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 am I may make a trade for a minty 94AE 44 mag Timber Scout. Little on the net other than old promo pic and dates of production (2005-2006?).
Anybody here have practical experience with this model as a hunting rifle for Eastern woodlands deer?
Bruce.

OK, I do not have any experience with that exact model or woodlands hunting. However there is nothing wrong with the rifle for that purpose. The 44 Mag is a great deer round and at the ranges you'll be hunting would be just about perfect.

The pistol caliber Win 94s are not problematic. They were redesigned to have a slightly shorter lever throw and work very well with the larger cartridges. And they are also much more forgiving when it comes to longer than standard loads. Over All Length is much more critical with the Win 92 and Marlin 1894.

I have a 1985 vintage Trapper in .45 Colt that has never given me any problems. I've put thousands of rounds through it from mild to :o MG and never hag a gun caused issue.

The last year production does give me cause for concern, but not enough to condemn it without examining it.
Pete44ru wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:40 pm .

JMO - YMMV . 8)

As a deer cartridge, the .44 Mag works well out to about 125yds (+/-); but as a rifle, I'd much rather use a rifle with an action designed for the pistol cartridge length (as opposed to full-length cartridges) - like a Winchester/Rossi Model 1892/92 or a Marlin 1894/94.

As a further consideration, you might want to reflect on when that Timber Scout was made (2005/2006) - while Winchester was in plant-closing mode with attendant labor union issues that often resulted in less than ideal product results.

FYI: The Win 1892 and Marlin 1894 were designed for rifle cartridges. The 44-40, 38-40, 32-20 etc were and are rifle cartridges. It's just coincidental that the .45 Colt, 44 Mag, 41 Mag, 357 ended up the same length as they were.

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:05 pm I have read some negative issues about feeding from the 94 when redesigned to take modern pistol cartridges, but I really think that's not a big deal.

As for the functionality of a short barreled lever-action carbine in 44 Magnum for deer, I can't think of anything better. 45 Colt is good too, but I really don't think the deer can tell the difference.
You're right, it's not a big deal. Most of the complaints I've read came from folks using them for CAS with the uber whimpy squib loads.
As I mentioned above my Win 94AE has give me the same functioning issues as my Marlin 1894; 0.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I had one, it was the only Winchester that gave me a lot of issues (jam-o-matic). I'm sure mine was a one-off, but I sold it to a gun shop who knew it had issues and bought a Marlin 1894 and never looked back... :)