Should be casting bullets...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Should be casting bullets...

Post by earlmck »

To paraphrase JimT, "Cold and snowy day on the banks of Lucky Creek". But instead of casting bullets, for which a day like this is designed, I am driving out to Lucky Creek to cut some junipers. Some of us are addicted to things in addition to powder smoke. In my case it is 2-cycle smoke from a chainsaw.

This time I have it real good -- 15-yr old granddaughter goes ahead of me with loppers to take care of the little ones, leaving me to deal with just the larger stuff. Heh heh heh! I could never keep a grandson on the loppers -- they were in too much a sweat to run a chainsaw. But a kid with loppers can make you some money while a kid with a chainsaw is some months of hard-won experience from making you any money.

Ya' otta be here Bill in Oregon. These are just your size!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Should be casting bullets...

Post by GunnyMack »

Junipers? For making gin or are you using for decoration?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:11 pm Junipers? For making gin or are you using for decoration?
No, nothing so useful. In this part of the world they pay people with chainsaws to clearcut juniper trees as a watershed improvement practice. Good clean fun if you're the fellow with the chainsaw!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I have wonderful memories of slaying those water-sucking junipers with you. Did you and Butch get another contract? Is that Kayce on the loppers? She loves her Grandpa. :lol:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:52 am Earl, I have wonderful memories of slaying those water-sucking junipers with you. Did you and Butch get another contract? Is that Kayce on the loppers? She loves her Grandpa. :lol:
Yes indeedy Bill, another contract with the usual suspects -- Butch when he can escape from the home place and Kacie on the loppers on her occasional day off from school and activities. Hadn't had a contract in several years so took one with a lot of christmas-tree sized trees, which I don't really like. Much more fun to kill the big ones. The next unit after this first one will have better trees.

We boys should be working on developing a good load for Butch's new Oliver Winchester commemorative 38/55, but the juniper contract may curtail some of our normal activities for a while. I have a load for my Marlin that looks like it'll be competitive but Butch's Winchester didn't seem to like the same load particularly. Guess that's what keeps us interested!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, is it a case of "which groove diameter" that we so often encounter with .38-55s?
Good for you for getting more contracts. Glad you are up to it!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:50 pm Earl, is it a case of "which groove diameter" that we so often encounter with .38-55s?
His Winny seems to be a .379 while my Marlin Cowboy is .380. He should be just fine with the .380" bullets the come through the old Star. I'm thinking we just need to try some ladders with a couple or three different powders and see just what his baby likes. Maybe a warm enough day that the load tester isn't shivering would be helpful also.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry