Cold & Rainy on the banks of the San Gabriel River today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Cold & Rainy on the banks of the San Gabriel River today

Post by JimT »

so I am slaving away in the shop ... sweating ... working hard ... BUT someone has to do it!

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Cold & Rainy on the banks of the San Gabriel River today

Post by Mainehunter »

I wish I had time to do that! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looking good as usual!!!

Mainehunter
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Some folks will say otherwise, but I have always thought the good old Keith design can still do honest work.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The pinnacle of working bullets. Everything since just doesn't make the grade

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That ain't fair! You get to have aaallllllll the fun! You sure do know your casting....perfect looking bullet.

Well, pretty much the same way here,,,cold and rainy. Lots of casting I need to do too but luckily I have so many bullets I've already cast in so many different diesgns I just jump to another design when one runs out.

CBA cast bullet match tomorrow....gonna use the mighty BAR 30-06 with 215 Lyman's....yea, I'll lose against the Stevens model 44 and 1/2 single shots but I'll win in fun.---6
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:19 pm That ain't fair! You get to have aaallllllll the fun! You sure do know your casting....perfect looking bullet.
thanks but .. if you do something often enough for 65 years or so you sometimes get things right.

Have fun at the match!! Take pictures.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Fine lookin' bullets there Jim. How many of those have you made in those 65 years of bullet casting? Closing in on a million?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

earlmck wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:35 pm Fine lookin' bullets there Jim. How many of those have you made in those 65 years of bullet casting? Closing in on a million?
Man .. it is hard telling. One thing I never did was keep track of how many bullets I cast. I don't believe I shifted the balance of the earth much. :D
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Good lookin' bullet Jim. I really like that size huge lube groove. Fill that with SPG and load over some ffg and you'll be in business. Cold and rainy yesterday but sunny and cold here on the banks of Big Cabin Creek for the opening day of rifle season.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Loading it over Unique. I dislike shooting black powder in double action guns. :D
M9 - finished.JPG
Lubed with Paco's Apache Green
23 - crimped.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jim......I'm half Italian and half German.....my German part is to be especially organized in my gun stuff. I have a log of how many rounds I've shot out of each gun since 1981 (started casting in '73) and as I shoot cast bullets....almost exclusively I can get a rough idea of how many cast bullets I've cast.......leave out the thousands of .223's and long range 308's and '06's and it's somewhere around 300,000...going from memory....

I'm sure you know this......as casters we all like perfect looking bullets. These give us the confidence of eliminating human error in our quest for perfect accuracy. One day, maybe 25 years ago I loaded up a mess of rounds in 40-82 for my long range Winchester Hi Wall using nasty looking bullets....not real nasty, but with rounded edges, wrinkles, etc. ....these bullets wore a gas check......pushed around 1500......funny thing, they drilled right in there with the best of them.

I really like that as I was able to institute my Italian side, forget perfectness and just be a bum for the last 25 years. :D --6
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yes ... I discovered a long time ago that if the bullet base was good, the rest of the bullet could be pretty ugly and they still shot accurately.
I never kept track of how many bullets I cast. I know one summer I shot up over 200 pounds of lead. I was using a light bullet in the .357 practicing aerial shooting. 200 pounds would have made around 12,000 bullets. I was just a kid then. It was a LONG time ago. :D

I once shot a group of targets ... all at 25 yards .. using .45 Ruger single action and the Keith SWC
The first group of targets the powder charge and the bullets were weighed. I kept the bullets at + or - .2 grains. Powder charges were exact.
The second group of targets I dipped the powder charges and used whatever bullets were in the box.

The loads with the dipped powder charge and random bullets shot tighter groups.

I am not sure why. :)

The rule about reloading and shooting is that everything is always the same unless it's not.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I haven't got into bullet casting. I do buy cast bullets. When I reload, I try to make everything come out exactly the same each time. No, I don't have any proof that I am doing it right other than I have all of my fingers. It is a lot of fun, and I wouldn't do it if it was not fun.

I hope you continue to enjoy casting and shooting for many more years.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Just set up my stuff at my shooting bench, and watched as the wind kicked up to 35-40 MPH 3 :shock: I laughed pretty hard and put it back into the truck. I have a low spot out of the wind to shoot pistols this evening, the wind will often die down at sundown. Ah, West Texas! :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jim.....I hear ya bro! At our club, Atglen Sportsmens Club we have many types of disciplines.....one is half scale silhouette from the ranges of 2,3,385,and 500 meters.....half scale, same size as pistol caliber levergun silhouette shooting.......in reality they are smaller than half scale...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it's off the bench with no rear rest.....sounds easy until you try it...it's all timed with commands. In three years no one has got a perfect 40 x 40. Most everyone uses the 6.5 Creedmore, 260 R.E.M., 6 and 7mm benchrest cartridges in 30" bull barreled guns and 6 ounce triggers shooting Berger VLD bullets.....most always topped with Nightforce or other high dollar Leupolds, Schmidt and Benders, etc......while there they always show me their cartridges....perfect, shiny, with the exclamation that "these are .015 off the lands" "just bumping the rifling" you know.

Sure, I could show up with the same stuff but I don't........I show up with a stock Colt AR in .223 with the factory issue 16" barrel and a Vortex scope. I tell the guys I use 77 gr Sierra's and load it all with used brass, dirty primer pockets and....and...run it all on an RCBS progressive machine......you should see their faces!

Well, I don't shoot the scores they do but I'm not far away, the best guys will shoot 32-38 out of 40 with most scores in the twenties. The last two matches I shot a 29 and a 32 x40. Ive only been doing this discipline for a year...next season I plan on keeping up with them....--6.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

As John Linebaugh used to say, "IT'S THE MAN, NOT THE MACHINE."
That has a lot of application.