Where to have an old Redfield scope refurbed???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Where to have an old Redfield scope refurbed???

Post by RSY »

1960's, Widefield (TV view) model, fixed 4x. I know there was a place that did old Weavers, but what about Redfield?

RSY
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Where to have an old Redfield scope refurbed???

Post by wm »

https://ironsightinc.com/

This where I w0uld send it.

Wm
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If I'm not mistaken, Leupold now owns Redfield, give them a call, ya might luck out and they will replace it- doubtful but ya never know!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:47 pm If I'm not mistaken, Leupold now owns Redfield, give them a call, ya might luck out and they will replace it- doubtful but ya never know!
They won't touch them. Been there, tried that.

wm, thanks for the link, I'll check them out. I have one that was my grandfather's that needs a rehab.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well was worth a try :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Maybe VIntage gun Scopes?
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

wm wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:13 pm https://ironsightinc.com/

Wm
Thanks. After a little investigation, appears this is actually the place Leupold refers folks to for repairs on the old models.

Scott
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Why waste the money on junk...it will cost you more to have it fixed than what a new quality scope costs and you will still have what you started with...junk with a dark view. I've had three of those widefields and every one broke. Good quality scopes like Nikon of Vortex with much clearer optics and a super warranty can be had for about what it would cost you to have the redfield fixed.

I use a broken 3-9 Redfield Widefield for a backyard spotting scope. Duct taped it to a tripod.--6
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:33 pm Why waste the money on junk...it will cost you more to have it fixed than what a new quality scope costs and you will still have what you started with...junk with a dark view.
Because it was my grandfather's rifle; a sporterized '03 Springfield. And I'd like to keep it the way it was when he hunted with it 50-60 years ago. Purely sentimental reasons. Not to mention, it looks like the repair cost is a flat fee of $95. I can live with that.

Also, it is not my main hunting rifle, which has a 2-8x Burris Signature on it.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK RSY..that makes a lot of sense.......I didn't know that.

Funny thing.... the Redfield Widefield I'm using as a backyard spotting scope was on my Dads favorite rifle..270 Remington 700. He had another Redfield on a Sako Deluxe 300 Win.mag.....I threw that one in the box of broken scopes with the Tasco's and Bushnell banners.

But that's me and that's you...you are an honorable guy for remembering your grandpappy in a conscientious way.

I just never liked those Widefields......they were a scam on the shooting public.---6
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:28 pm OK RSY..that makes a lot of sense.......I didn't know that.

Funny thing.... the Redfield Widefield I'm using as a backyard spotting scope was on my Dads favorite rifle..270 Remington 700. He had another Redfield on a Sako Deluxe 300 Win.mag.....I threw that one in the box of broken scopes with the Tasco's and Bushnell banners.

But that's me and that's you...you are an honorable guy for remembering your grandpappy in a conscientious way.

I just never liked those Widefields......they were a scam on the shooting public.---6
Yeah, I thought hard about putting a good fixed 6x on it, but I decided I'd rather see the rifle I remember from my childhood whenever I look at it, instead. Since I am left-handed, it doesn't get a lot of use anyway. My lefty M70 gets most of the work.

Funny that you mentioned it being dark, because I didn't say anything about that...but that is exactly the issue I am having with it. :) It's purt-near useless in low light.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

The Redfields made in that time frame were good but was old technology....as a young man I remembered all of the "knowledgeable guys" saying how much brighter a Leupold was as opposed to their main competitor....Redfield.

They were not bad scopes as my dad swore by them...I was always a Leupold fan....I'm now a Vortex or a Nikon fan.

Scopes have come a llllooooonnnnggggg way since those times.----6
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Wm
Wm, I had them rehab and change to a duplex reticle an old Weaver 10X. A year later I had it on my gunshow table and one of their people picked it up, looked through it and said it needed to be run through their shop. When I told him it had been through their shop he quickly walked away. It does seem to be growing algae inside. I'll not waste any more money with them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:20 am

Wm
Wm, I had them rehab and change to a duplex reticle an old Weaver 10X. A year later I had it on my gunshow table and one of their people picked it up, looked through it and said it needed to be run through their shop. When I told him it had been through their shop he quickly walked away. It does seem to be growing algae inside. I'll not waste any more money with them.
My buddy has a system that he says works for that sort of issue …… he takes the scope and puts in a clean old sock, and then puts it in a small trash bag filled with kitty litter and seals it up. He says kitty litter draws all the moisture out. It does not of course solve the issue of it getting moisture in again the next time you use it but it keeps the old scope useable.

I get preserving the old scopes out of collectability or sentimental reasons but I kind of side with Sixgun here ……. New scopes are better, more durable and frankly comparatively inexpensive.

Spend $100 on restoring that (whatever that might be) or buy this for https://www.cabelas.com/product/NIKON-X ... T.tsrc=AFF is kind of a no brainer in strictly practical terms but I'm glad there is someone out there saving some of the old ones just so we appreciate how good we have it now.

Wm