For those curious about the 350 Legend....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

For those curious about the 350 Legend....

Post by AJMD429 »

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16- ... g-ch.html?

PSA has a relatively inexpensive way to check it out...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: For those curious about the 350 Legend....

Post by piller »

It still sounds like a .357 Magnum rimless for a semi-auto firearm. If it brings more people into using firearms and hunting, it is probably a good thing. No need or want for one in my house yet. Who knows what may occur in the future? PillHer still likes AR type firearms.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

More along the lines of the .351 Winchester Self-Loading.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

No interest here, but thanks anyhow.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just wish they made it .357 and not 9mm...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I noticed on cast boolits that some guys are working up cast loads, in ARs.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I also had thought it was somewhere between a 357 Magnum and 357 Maximum....sounds like it is a step past either....!

Like others here though, I have no real need for one....

...yeah, I know who cares about 'need'....but my pocketbook DOES care, so until it looks like something I should trade off existing firearms for, I'll pass....BUT MAYBE IF I WIN A LOTTERY TICKET... :mrgreen:
350 Legend Buddies.png
The above is a screenshot from my favorite cartridge-comparison site - AmmoGuide.com - I highly recommend that site due to the huge number of both user and factory load data, plus the very flexible cartridge-comparison features.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

im baffled by the choice to use .355 projectiles.......
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Me wonders , IF a guy really wanted this cartridge BUT was having the barrel work done why not make it in 357 dia?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

COSteve wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:23 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:16 pm Like others here though, I have no real need for one....
Me either, however, I think it would make a great pig gun as well as a great alternative to the 30-30 as a deer hunting rifle. I'd like to see Ruger do a Mini 350 just so they'd have a .35 caliber offering in an American caliber. Nothing wrong with the 7.62x39 except that it's a commie caliber and I'd like the American Ruger to offer an American caliber, that's all. I told Ruger's CEO that I'd be first in line for one but he wrote back effectively saying that they weren't interested. I get it. It would pose too much competition to their current .30 cal commie version, the Mini-30.
Having one made up off of a Mini 14 but it's going to get chambered to accept .358 bullets. PTG is making the custom reamer but they are calling it a 358AR. Bore/grove diameter for the barrel will be .350 bore and .357 grove.

Mainehunter
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now her talking- in a mini that is going to be a handy rig! Have you figured out the magazine yet ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:28 pm Now her talking- in a mini that is going to be a handy rig! Have you figured out the magazine yet ?
The gunsmith has been using 6.8 SPC mags but with a modified follower and spring. So far, a few guys that had the conversion done that I've talked to did have some issues with the 10 round clip but made some improvements along the way to make them more reliable. The 5 rounders have worked flawlessly.

Mainehunter
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mainehunter wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:45 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:28 pm Now her talking- in a mini that is going to be a handy rig! Have you figured out the magazine yet ?
The gunsmith has been using 6.8 SPC mags but with a modified follower and spring. So far, a few guys that had the conversion done that I've talked to did have some issues with the 10 round clip but made some improvements along the way to make them more reliable. The 5 rounders have worked flawlessly.

Mainehunter
From what I've read you can do much like with the other fatter 5.56 derivatives, and use 'regular' magazines if you make sure the ridges that are in many magazines that abut the shoulder of the 5.56 case so it won't slip forward are either not too high, or are filed or ground down. How much effort that would be would depend on the magazine...!

There's also on some magazines some 'flats' that fold down (from the sides of the magazines) and sit beside where the bullet is in the top rounds, and they'd be an issue, but they are easy to file down - that is also needed for some magazines to get 300 Blackout to work.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I bought a 350 Legend upper from Bear Creek Arsenal for $225 for a winter AR build project. At that price I can play with it this winter and see how it performs.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

COSteve wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:05 pm
piller wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:10 pm It still sounds like a .357 Magnum rimless for a semi-auto firearm. If it brings more people into using firearms and hunting, it is probably a good thing. No need or want for one in my house yet. Who knows what may occur in the future? PillHer still likes AR type firearms.
You need to do your homework because the facts show that it's not even close and your claim is dead wrong. The 350 Legend has a much larger case and holds much more powder for a comparable bullet weight. How much more?

Per Hodgdon's Reloading guide under rifle calibers, the .357mag max full power load with a 158grn HDY bullet and H110 powder is listed at 16.7grns of powder producing 1,757fps with an 18.5" barrel. (I've used that load with 158grn Zero JSP and got 1,822fps in my 24" Rossi levergun.) Per that same guide, a .357mag max full power load with a 170grn HDY bullet and H110 powder is listed at 15.5grns of powder producing 1,662fps in the same 18.5" barrel.

Also per Hodgdon's Reloading guide under rifle calibers, the 350 Legend max full power load with a 147grn HDY bullet and H110 powder (they don't list a 158grn bullet for it) is listed at 28.2grns of powder (producing 2,495fps in a 24" barrel) and the max full power load with a 170grn HDY bullet and H110 powder is listed at 26.7grns of powder (producing 2,221fps in a 24" barrel).

That shows that the case holds some 10grns more of the same powder; H110 with significant velocity increases (559fps or a 33.6% gain for the 170grn) so to claim that, "It still sounds like a .357 Magnum rimless . . ." is just plain uninformed.
If I were more than remotely curious about it, I would have looked into it. So it holds more powder. Still not interesting enough to me for a close look.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm disappointed in the bullet diameter choice, but I think the cartridge has merit. My biggest concern is the different magazine and reliability in feeding in an AR.
I see no reason for it if not chambered in a 5.56 sized semi auto rifle.
I went with 300BO due to the fact that it doesn't matter if the cartridge goes obsolete. I can keep it running with nothing "special" or proprietary. I accept the limitations to get this.
Another interesting option is the Wilson Combat 300 Hamr. Has more velocity than 300BO if you don't mind losing some subsonic capability.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mainehunter is on the right track.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I wonder if it was made in .355 groove so as to preclude handloaders from using readily available .357/.358 bullets, so as to sell more factory ammo. Who knows the (il)logic behind the design/marketing people
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thunder50 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:08 am I wonder if it was made in .355 groove so as to preclude handloaders from using readily available .357/.358 bullets, so as to sell more factory ammo. Who knows the (il)logic behind the design/marketing people
Bingo!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm getting a feeling that the .350 Legend is the answer to a question that has not been asked.

If I've got a .357, a .35 Rem, a .356 Win, a .358 Win, and a .35 Whelen in my 35-Caliber stable, I'm thinking that the .350 Legend falls between the .357 and the .35 Rem in both performance and application in that line-up.

So I'm left asking, what can this cartridge do for me?

A .35 cal semi auto? Interesting. I've been thinking about building an AR-10 or LR in .358 Win, and a .35 caliber carbine type round on an AR-15 platform might be a hoot.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

For me, I'm a 35 cal guy, hunting or plinking! Yeah I have other's but that's what I shot the most. Sold all of my AR's in the past few years and gone back to old school M25 and Mini 30. Came close early this year on picking up a Mini 14 but that's when Winchester decided throw a wrench in the works by coming up with the 350L. Really wanted one for quite some time but not in the AR platform. I really do like my Mini 30 BUT in a rechambered Mini 14 358AR...... 8) 8) :D :D

Mainehunter
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

There is already something in 358. The 358 yeti. Its a 308 case chopped and shouldered.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

wvfarrier wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:39 pm There is already something in 358. The 358 yeti. Its a 308 case chopped and shouldered.
but is that a straight walled cartridge? Living in the lower half of Michigan, we are shotgun, muzzle loader or the new straight walled cartridge only. I really like the idea of the 350, but don't like the .355 diameter.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I was mildly interested when the .350 Legend was announced.....that faded quickly when I found out about the .355 diameter.

I've a good bit of experience with a .357 Maximum single shot rifle and it is very effective on whitetails out to about 150 yards. Devastating closer in at 30 to 75 yards.

Why not a rimless version of the 357 Max that would fit the ar15 platform?
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMYuhaceWMc
If they brought back the 375 win in a tube fed pump gun or auto, I'd be tickled, not impressed by this newcomer already called a legend.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

rock-steady wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:08 pm I was mildly interested when the .350 Legend was announced.....that faded quickly when I found out about the .355 diameter.

I've a good bit of experience with a .357 Maximum single shot rifle and it is very effective on whitetails out to about 150 yards. Devastating closer in at 30 to 75 yards.

Why not a rimless version of the 357 Max that would fit the ar15 platform?
That would be a 357AR or close to it. But then again you have the 350L. Besides the 358 Yeti, there was the 358 Gremlin which was a necked up 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 case and that all depends on which AR15 bolt you chose.

Mainehunter
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Ray wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:42 pm you all are obsessing on the .355" part of it......I have loaded many a 9x19, .38 super, and .357 sig with .357" and .358" bullets.....

even with a noticeable bulge, it it chambers it will do just fine......
+1

Mainehunter
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Received a voicemail from my gunsmith today he's pulling the plug on my Mini 14, 350 Legend project! :cry: He's running into several issues primarily dealing with head space issues. Not happy at the moment! Had my heart set on the 350L in the Mini platform.

Mainehunter
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Could be a magnificent hog harvester IMO.

Ditto deer, coyote, etc. but the fast and frenetic nature of hog hunting seems a good match with the AR and a 350 Legend.

As ETHANG pointed out the 350 Legend was developed (or at least initially marketed) to deal with specific regulatory hurdles. Ditto the 450 Bushmaster.

Wm
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You're allowed to hunt regulatory hurdles with a .450 Bushmaster? When is the Open Season and what is the Daily limit? How bad do those regulatory hurdles taste? How do you cook one?
D. Brian Casady
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

wvfarrier wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:01 pm im baffled by the choice to use .355 projectiles.......
Absolutely
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com