I've come across a Rem. Model 81 in .300 Savage...good price, or no?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

I've come across a Rem. Model 81 in .300 Savage...good price, or no?

Post by RSY »

$350. On its face, seems pretty fair to me, but I am no expert on the Model 8/81.

Thanks, in advance.

Scott
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I've come across a Rem. Model 81 in .300 Savage...good price, or no?

Post by Dave James »

What kind of condition?
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Looks pretty good. My gunsmith is selling it in his shop, so its been gone over. I still need to look at the bore, though.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Assuming it has been well cared for or restored then I would say that is consistent with what I see in Mid Michigan. Not a great deal but not bad either.

IMO "Old" rifles suffer in value these days compared to modern sporting rifles and modern bolt actions in the view a significant number of gun owners minds. Collectors are supporting the market but most collectors are on the sun set side of 50 so I think there is a good chance that there will be waning market in the future.

Which is my way of saying don't worry about the price …… just enjoy it.

Wm
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

There's always going to be a demand for "Americana"....,especially in well known guns that have "clean lines"....The market has been inflated for the last 20 years and is coming more in line with real life prices.......this is for run-of-the-mill standard guns in standard configuration in regular condition. High condition rare guns have held their own for over a hundred years.

Try to buy an commercially advertised gun for what it costs 20 or more years ago.

I've been in this game for over 40 years and watch the prices like a rich guy watches the stock market....

$350 for an 81? Chump change.....if you like it and it will make you happy, go for it.---6
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

What can I expect regarding brass life in one of these?

Scott
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Assuming it is in decent shooting condition, I have not seen one priced anywhere near that low in 10 years. I regret not jumping on one back then.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Anyone know how they eject?

In other words, I'm a lefty...will I be catching brass with my forehead?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have a pair of model 8’s in the shop for sale now . A 35 REM for a G and a 25 REM for 1 1/4 G’s . Not saying they’re worth it but that’s what’s on them .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

6pt-sika wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:46 pm We have a pair of model 8’s in the shop for sale now . A 35 REM for a G and a 25 REM for 1 1/4 G’s . Not saying they’re worth it but that’s what’s on them .
Do 8's generally bring more than 81's?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

RSY wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:55 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:46 pm We have a pair of model 8’s in the shop for sale now . A 35 REM for a G and a 25 REM for 1 1/4 G’s . Not saying they’re worth it but that’s what’s on them .
Do 8's generally bring more than 81's?
I dunno if an 8 is more collectible . I do however know condition and rarity are key factors . I would think a 25 REM in very nice shape would bring more then most .
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Saw a real clean looking model 8 in 30Rem for 450 3 years ago in central Texas. I've thought on occasion that I should not have left it there, even though I am a dedicated lever hunter.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

6pt-sika wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:57 pm I do however know condition and rarity are key factors . I would think a 25 REM in very nice shape would bring more then most .
Well said....."condition and rarity". along with the 25 Remington......that is a rare bird.....remember when I was about 12-14 a friend's dad had one that looked brand new in .25....yea, even then I paid attention to condition and caliber.

RSY.....keep your loads on the soft side...neck size only and the brass will outlast you. First time, fls....after that back out the sizing die one full turn.

Everyone must keep one thing in mind when buying/shooting old guns....you need to know what your doing...spend the money on books.....I have them on near every collectible gun I shoot. Nothing is free in this world and knowledge is power.---6
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

The first time I ever encountered a Remington model 8 it wasn't a model 8. It was a Browning Model 1900 Automatic 9mm. That is it was the Browning version of the Remington 8 in 35 Remington. My Brother in law borrowed it from his neighbor to hunt with one year when we were hunting up by Harrison (IIRC).

I was a teen, too young to drive legally, and I remember that was a HEAVY gun compared to my Win 94. And of course all the attendant discussion of what was the better killer (35 Rem or 30 WCF) and Rem vs Browning & Auto 5 shotguns, aperture sights vs buck horn vs scopes, etc, etc,

You know typical deer camp stuff …… except it was all new to me back then.

Just sharing a memory.

Wm
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm
Everyone must keep one thing in mind when buying/shooting old guns....you need to know what your doing...spend the money on books.....I have them on near every collectible gun I shoot. Nothing is free in this world and knowledge is power.---6
Well said …… +1

If you look here you can see why the second book stores get almost as much trade from me as the gun shops!

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Remington- ... 0889352917

Wm
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

This topic confused me. Can someone clear something up for me. Over the years I've ready about how 35 rem ammo is loaded at low pressure because the remington auto loading rifles that were chambered for it. So, 35 rem ammo is loaded to lower pressure than 30-30 ammo. However, 300 savage is loaded to a higher pressure than 30-30. So why is 300 savage safe in the remington autoloaders, but 35 remington has to be low pressure for them? What am I missing?
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

RSY wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:40 pm Anyone know how they eject?

In other words, I'm a lefty...will I be catching brass with my forehead?
I am a lefty also and had wondered the same thing. Anyone know?
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm

I’ve got a good library of gun books and have been compiling them for about 50 years . But six or so years ago when I bought the big Parker two volume set ( and seconds no less) I had a twinge of guilt over what they cost me !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I will also add there are good avenues to get info on some guns as they were when they left the factory . If I’m not mistaken you can get letters of authentication on Colt and Winchester easy enough , and I know for a fact you can get info on a good many of the Parker’s . I dunno if the Remington Society has or can give out this type thing but perhaps .
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

FLINT wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:47 pm This topic confused me. Can someone clear something up for me. Over the years I've ready about how 35 rem ammo is loaded at low pressure because the remington auto loading rifles that were chambered for it. So, 35 rem ammo is loaded to lower pressure than 30-30 ammo. However, 300 savage is loaded to a higher pressure than 30-30. So why is 300 savage safe in the remington autoloaders, but 35 remington has to be low pressure for them? What am I missing?
Good question Flint. My guess is -- the 35 Rem was introduced in the early 1900's and its pressure was appropriate for the gun steel of the time -- a little less than the 30/30 but not a lot less. By the time the 300 Savage was chambered in the model 81 we had gone through a world war and nearly 30 years of metallurgical development and the steel in the M81 is just plain stronger stuff than that found in an early M8.

I don't know production figures but I'd kinda' guess there weren't all that many 300 Savages made in M81. I owned one for a while about 20 years ago but sold it for twice what I'd paid for it. And I'm pretty sure I sold it then for somewhat more than $350.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

If you trust the smith involved, really went over it, and the springs are good no rust under the jacket type thing, stocks are sound, in my area here {Tidewater Virginia} it would be a great price in that caliber, 25,35 not so much, I am a lefty also , and they eject up and forward a little never have had an issue with them.

81 is more common around here and the Model 8 brings more money

300 Savage is a great round ,have a 99 in it, will do every thing a 308 will do short of 800 meter stuff its not a long rang dinger, but out to 300 meters if you do the work it will do its job, I've never reloaded any thing heavier than the 150's, and it likes the lighter stuff, flip side the BIL has one also and it will shoot 180's well out to around 150 meters.

if it happens to have the pep sight I would buy it just for that

Remember the 35 rem was loaded in Marlin lever guns and the had to keep pressure low in their thinking, 81 no problem
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

earlmck wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:27 am Good question Flint. My guess is -- the 35 Rem was introduced in the early 1900's and its pressure was appropriate for the gun steel of the time -- a little less than the 30/30 but not a lot less. By the time the 300 Savage was chambered in the model 81 we had gone through a world war and nearly 30 years of metallurgical development and the steel in the M81 is just plain stronger stuff than that found in an early M8.

I don't know production figures but I'd kinda' guess there weren't all that many 300 Savages made in M81. I owned one for a while about 20 years ago but sold it for twice what I'd paid for it. And I'm pretty sure I sold it then for somewhat more than $350.
Thanks earlmck, I think that makes sense
Dave James wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:47 am

Remember the 35 rem was loaded in Marlin lever guns and the had to keep pressure low in their thinking, 81 no problem
from what I've read the 35 rem was introduced in 1906 and originally chambered in the Remington model 8. The marlin 1893 leverguns were chambered in 30-30 by 1906, so I don't think that the levergun was the limiting factor. I think it had to be the early model 8s. Obviously they must have improved something by the time they chambered the 81 in 300 savage.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

The was a gentleman up around Lonesome lake BC that used a rem 8 in 35 rem on grizzlies, Ralph Edwards 1910? killed over 150 griz, his son in law killed the #2 griz with a 30/30 about 1955? danny