Browning Model 53, 32-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Browning Model 53, 32-20

Post by trooper joe »

Just picked up a like new Browning Model 53 in 32-20. Gun looks like it has never been fired.

Dealer knocked off $200 since the original box was trashed by the shipper and sender.

Since I never got around to loading the 32-20 round, I am going to try out some Ventura Heritage 32-20 Winchester 100gr JHP (Hi Speed) ammo. Was going to use my other 32-20 (Winchester Model 92) for deer hunting a couple of years ago due to a torn retina I did not want to damage, but could not find ammo I would trust to harvest a Michigan whitetail.

I spotted one of these B-53 rifles many years ago, but the price was a lot higher than what I paid for this beauty.

Just wanted to let the gang know about this find.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Browning Model 53, 32-20

Post by wm »

That is one of the holy grail guns ……… they did not make a lot of them and they are hard to find because the people that own them don't care to let go of them.

I'm more then a little envious! :mrgreen:

Wm
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

wm wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:56 pm That is one of the holy grail guns ……… they did not make a lot of them and they are hard to find because the people that own them don't care to let go of them.

I'm more then a little envious! :mrgreen:

Wm

ME TOO.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice, congrats. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Congratulations Trooper! I predict you're really going to enjoy that rifle. Only 32-20 I have is a very early 92 with a re-lined barrel but it sure shoots good. I use it for everything from tree rats to whitetail. I use cast lead bullets in mine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Great snag! I got mine at Cabela's GunLibrary in Sydney Nebraska while going thru there on a truck run. The first owner had installed a Marble's Tang sight with windage adjustment, and had installed a blank in the rear dovetail on the barrel, dinging the forearm with the hammer, making a noticeable dent in the premium walnut! I got it a little cheaper for the dent, and wasn't worried about putting the first dent or scratch on the gun.😃 It's sudden death on ground squirrels! Browning 53s RULE!!!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool....! Amazing the 'value' a box (or lack thereof) has; personally I never desired the original box but evidently lots of folks do.

In your case it worked out just fine...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I've never seen one of these. Were they made in any other calibers ?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:mrgreen:
Looking forward to the range reports! Both my 32-20s like 7.5 grains of Lil’gun. Bullet weight doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. The 3118 Lyman mold is my favorite.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

TraderVic wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 am I've never seen one of these. Were they made in any other calibers ?
The Browning is a copy of a Winchester rifle also known as the model 53. I believe that was offered in both 25-20 WCF and 32-20 WCF. Browning I think only offered the 53 in 32-20 but I am not sure.

I think the correct way to look at these rifles is that first you had the Winchester 1886, then Winchester scaled down the design to produce the 1892 (in 38 -40, 44-40, 32-20, & 25-20). Then the design was refined and renamed the Model 53 in 32-20 & 25-20. Then Winchester again tweaked the design and offered the model 65 in 32=20, 25-20, and 218 Bee. This is coming from someone who is not a Winchester collector or scholar so the information is worth what you are paying for it.

The 1892 design has also been produced in 38 spl/357 mag, 44 spl/44 mag, 45 LC, and I think a precious few in 41 mag & 32 mag.

Wm
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

TraderVic wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 am I've never seen one of these. Were they made in any other calibers ?
They were only made in 32-20. They were copies of the Winchester 53's that were made in the "dash" caliber chamberings (25-20, 32-20, 44-40, not sure about the 38-40). A Winchester 53 in 32-20 in fair condition is usually listed for north of $3000. (Got mine for $800 out the door after that fiasco about the box).

Somewhere I read that these were only made in 1991 (not sure about that either). No plastic on the gun, even the butt plate is steel. It has a 22" barrel and a very neat 1/2 magazine. I think I have seen some full length magazine tubes but I don't know if they were ever made that way (personally, I think the 1/2 length magazine is very classy).

At the time I first saw one of these I owned two B92 Brownings (.44 mag and .357 mag). They were great guns but they had alloy barrel bands instead of steel. The B92's as well as the B53 were made in Japan by Miroku although "Miroku" is not stamped on the gun. This gun is so perfect I am not sure I want to take it out and shoot it (I have a Miroku/Winchester Model 92 for that need 8) ).

Thanks for the interest gang. As usual, I learn a lot from forum members.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice fine, that is sweet!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Nice grab! :) Have one that's never been fired, original box and papers. I picked it up at an estate auction few years back. Still sitting in the back of my safe, patiently waiting if it's going to be fired or not...... :|

Mainehunter
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Beautiful acquisition! I've often looked at the Browning Model 53 32-20 and wished I had one, but blew my money on a very nice original.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

KirkD wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:36 pm Beautiful acquisition! I've often looked at the Browning Model 53 32-20 and wished I had one, but blew my money on a very nice original.
Nothing wrong with that! I do recall from your past posts you were testing some Accurate molds a year or so ago? The reason I asked, one gentlemen at the gun range I go to has a few 32-20's he brings and loves the Accurate molds he uses.

Mainehunter
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Oooooo, purdy!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The 2 letters in the serial number tell you exactly what year it was made (NM would be 1990).

I have one of these and love it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Those Browning's are purty !! I have a Marlin CL 32-20 , one of My favorite rifles. just like the 45-70 it is easy to load from mild to wild to suit the job. enjoy :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mainehunter wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:08 pm I do recall from your past posts you were testing some Accurate molds a year or so ago? The reason I asked, one gentlemen at the gun range I go to has a few 32-20's he brings and loves the Accurate molds he uses.
Mainehunter
Yes. I ordered a custom mould from Accurate Moulds and that is what all my 32-20 cartridges are loaded with.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

And I might add that the reason I got the Marlin years ago was from reading Kirks posts about the 32-20 here. :D .
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Here's a photo of my original Model 53 32-20 made in 1929. It has taken care of quite a few varmint problems on my property. I do have to admit, however, that I went on Gunbroker and saw a few super nice Browning 53's that were just gorgeous. The 32-20 is one of my favourite cartridges, and my first pick for small game. Over the past 15 years or so, my various 32-20's have taken care of a lot of Woodchucks digging holes in the bean field, muskrats undermining the river bank, problem beavers cutting down my trees, skunks, and a never-ending stream of deranged Raccoons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.