noise canceling head phones

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

noise canceling head phones

Post by Pitchy »

Hey fellers is there a product that cuts out all sound, ear plugs of head set?
I need something that when wearing i can`t here anything and no it`s not Norma. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: noise canceling head phones

Post by wm »

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Something like the first link if they totally block out sound.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hey Pitchy.

I have the in-ear Noise Cancelling headphones (ear buds) made by Bose; I compared them in the store against the over-the-ears head phones and to me, they worked just as well. Most people that I see when flying will have the over-the-ear ones. No, they don't stop all the noise, but maybe 85%-90% of it, and I really like them for all the flights that I make while traveling 30-35 weeks a year, all by air. The Bose ones are not cheap, but there are other makes available which cost less.

Sometimes I will wear them under shooting muffs while listening to tunes on my old iPod as I'm riding around on the lawn mower. With the extra muffs on over them, they really do cut back on the noise from the mower -- so much so that one time my wife ran up to me and told me I'd been "Driving around for 15 minutes without the blades turning"!!!

Yeah, I admit it, :wink: I must have had the Classic Rock mix turned up a little loud that day...

Be sure to know what you really want...

* Some of the electronic shooting muffs will block out LOUD noises but will also AMPLIFY everything else below a certain loudness, so that means the casual talking, equipment being moved or banged on a bench, car doors being closed, or the traffic in the street behind you will all be louder (if you turn up the volume, that is). That is what I experience at the range with my electronic muffs -- everything else "can be louder" if you want it to be, but of course the gunshots are not amplified -- they're cut back (or attenuated), but you still hear them, only at a safe level.

* I've never worn my Bose noise-cancelling ear buds to the range; but in that situation, for sure, I know they'd limit or cut out 85% or so of all that background noise or chatter that the other muffs would amplify. (I have no idea what they'd do to the sounds of gun shots though... Never tried it...)

* While I'm not a sound expert, I believe this all means there is a big difference between "Loud Sound Attenuation" (electronic shooting muffs) and "Background Noise Cancellation" (like the Bose and other makes). In my experience, they don't do the same things -- they are handling sound very differently. So that's why I suggested you figure out what it is you really need.

Good luck Lenn.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Pitchy...just get an ice pick and push it about 2" into your ear canal. You won't hear nothing. Do it to each ear. :D

Personally I think it's impossible to cut out 100% of all hearing as your skull will absorb sound and transfer it to your ear. Next best thing is foam earplugs, hold your ear up and push them in deep ....strings outside....along with a set of QUALITY ear muffs.

Or you can just wait until you get as old as me or spend lots of time shooting. Without my hearing aids I don't hear much.---6
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well I can say having bought these "Sound Soldier" brand ones about 4 months ago that they work much better then the Peltor ones I bought 10 years ago and aid 5X as much for.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/dual-earmuff ... dJA-3dFyUk

They do amplify sound and then 'cut out' when sound passes the listed decibel level but Sixgun makes a good point …… Sound is vibration in the air and those will be transmitted by bone and flesh.

I used to have a an office in the newspaper well away from the press. I could not hear the press when sitting there but if I rested my elbow on the desk and put my head in my hand I could hear it and even discern what speed it was running at (1/4, 1/2, full). I could not feel the vibrations in my hand but I could sense them with my ear.

Wm
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Foam and muffs do cut the most noise. A guy I shoot with uses electronic muffs and swears his hearing has gotten worse! He is in his mid 40s and hears like an 85 year old ( so his DR says). I think the muffs amplify too much, not only gunshots but high pitch noise can damage your hearing too.

If you are looking for something to just stop as much noise as possible look for the self moulding silicone ear plugs, they are easy, just heat the stuff in hot water and stuff into your ear and wait, custom molded to your ears. They fit in your pocket, are inexpensive too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for the replies, i don`t want them for shooting i want them to cut out the noise of four wheels tearing up the road and rude people playing that God awful boom boom music.
Mostly in the summer it`s not so bad now that winter is here which why i like it so much.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah! Then you need a front yard full of speakers & amplifiers so you can drown out the road noise.
When I lived in CO, I had a pretty good sound system in my truck. If the south of the border guys pulled up next to me with their mariachi music going I'd just push in the HANK WILLIAMS CD and turn up the volume - they would beat feet asap! Of course nowadays if a white guy did that he'd get blown away!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:51 pm Ah! Then you need a front yard full of speakers & amplifiers so you can drown out the road noise.
When I lived in CO, I had a pretty good sound system in my truck. If the south of the border guys pulled up next to me with their mariachi music going I'd just push in the HANK WILLIAMS CD and turn up the volume - they would beat feet asap! Of course nowadays if a white guy did that he'd get blown away!
I thought of that but my closest neighbor has a resort right across the road and i wouldn`t want to bother him, the idiots don`t care of coarse.
I went and told the guy with the music if i hear it again i`m calling the cops and so far so good.
The four wheelers are another story, the city people come up here build mansions and ruin the countryside tear up and down the dirt road from sun up to dark.
I hate those machines because of those that abuse them, i have a old one i ride around the property once in a while and i respect people that ride them on the trails with respect for others.
Going to have to do something about it next summer if i`m still kickin.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.