Cold morning at the range - Winchester M73 and Henry BBS 357 Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MGR1
Levergunner

Cold morning at the range - Winchester M73 and Henry BBS 357 Mag

Post by MGR1 »

Hi all.

A couple of videos for you, recorded on thursday at my local range. A lovely morning, although the light was not ideal for shooting, which might account for some of my misses ;). Lots of roe deer tracks in the snow at the range. Temperature was -4 C / 24 F.

First some Miroku Winchester M73 44-40 action:
Shooting Pyrodex loads with powder coated Lyman 427098 bullets. Range to the 12" steel target was 164 yards.

https://youtu.be/Q_oxeS2OeY8

Then the Henry Big Boy Steel in 357 Magnum:
Shooting some reloads with the Lee 358-158-RF bullet, Lee Alox coated, over 6.0 grains of Hodgdon Universal powder. Range to target was first 109 yds, then 164 yards.

https://youtu.be/_fcZTf226N8
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Cold morning at the range - Winchester M73 and Henry BBS 357 Mag

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool videos or should I say cold videos, still great to be out shooting on a day like that. 8) I too struggle nowadays if the light isn't right. :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

As I get older those sights get murkier and fuzzier. I never liked scopes on lever guns but …….

Another concession I am making to old age.

How do you like the Henry? If you had to do it over again would you buy the Henry or save up a few more dollars and get a Winchester or Marlin?

I'm thinking seriously of buying a lever action carbine in either 357 mag or 44 mag for my birthday in April. I'm thinking I am going to go Marlin, mostly because of the scope issue I mentioned. At least the scopes are getting better, smaller, lighter, less expensive, and more durable as time goes by.

Wm
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent 8)
Now do it off hand 8)
Get a brimmed hat to keep the sun out of your eyes.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
MGR1
Levergunner

Post by MGR1 »

wm wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:39 am As I get older those sights get murkier and fuzzier. I never liked scopes on lever guns but …….

Another concession I am making to old age.

How do you like the Henry? If you had to do it over again would you buy the Henry or save up a few more dollars and get a Winchester or Marlin?

I'm thinking seriously of buying a lever action carbine in either 357 mag or 44 mag for my birthday in April. I'm thinking I am going to go Marlin, mostly because of the scope issue I mentioned. At least the scopes are getting better, smaller, lighter, less expensive, and more durable as time goes by.

Wm
The Henry is an OK rifle. Not perfect, but OK for the price range. The wood is good, fit & finish OK, bore acceptable. It is capable of shooting 1" groups at 100 meters / 109 yards with the right loads. I would rate it above the new Marlins, but below Miroku Winchesters or Brownings.
MGR1
Levergunner

Post by MGR1 »

Nath wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:56 am Excellent 8)
Now do it off hand 8)
Get a brimmed hat to keep the sun out of your eyes.

N.
Yes, off hand next :). Not sure about the hat though :D.